Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Denison
United States
Ames
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thinking of buying this later in the year but I would really like to look through the rules first. Anyone know where I can find a pdf or something to look at?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
Wolfram/Marflow does not appear to release electronic rules for any of their games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Denison
United States
Ames
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
*SIGH* Well it is their right to do it but it is infuriating. Much like the annoyance that is Eagle Gryphon with many of theirs as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
East Sooke
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
Given the number of posts I've seen of people who have fabricated their own copies of games that are readily available from the publisher, I can't really fault Marflow if they prefer to keep their rules off the web. They're certainly not the only publisher I can think of to do so.

Before writing the game off, however, you might consider contacting Wolfram directly. He's very pleasant to deal with and at the very least I am sure he could provide you with a thorough run-down of the game's features and for all I know maybe he doesn't mind giving out the rules but never bothered to post them here. I never bothered to ask.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Denison
United States
Ames
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't really written it off. I plan on getting 18Ruhr from them. I was thinking of waiting until I have enough to get both. The website has a description of the game I was just wanting some more specifics. I understand why they are doing it with copy right protection and all that. I just happen to disagree with handling it that way but that is me and to each their own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
East Sooke
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
eva01iastate wrote:
Haven't really written it off. I plan on getting 18Ruhr from them. I was thinking of waiting until I have enough to get both. The website has a description of the game I was just wanting some more specifics. I understand why they are doing it with copy right protection and all that. I just happen to disagree with handling it that way but that is me and to each their own.

If you state the specifics you're interested in here, someone might be able to answer the questions. I own the game, for one, though with the massive backlog of unplayed 18XX games I have still to work through I can't predict when it will get played here, but I can always check on rules if needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kimmo Leivo
Finland
Siilinjarvi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just send him an email. I've bought many of his games and he's always been very helpful. He has sent me the rulebooks I've asked for before ordering. I've picked up the games at Spiel over the years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
eva01iastate wrote:
The website has a description of the game I was just wanting some more specifics.

There's not a lot to know. Like many German 18xx it is a descendant of '35 with a variety of minors that merge in preset ways. IIRC (played half a dozen games, but it has been a while) unlike '35, the mergers have a window between when they become possible and when they're forced. The map is small, the tile set reasonable, the locations of money pretty obvious, the train progression is more steady and unsurprising than ever a rush or a stall. In sum an innocuous and pleasant enough small 18xx which can be readily played in a few hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
East Sooke
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
One addition is that the game is intended to play 2 players as well as any other count, though of course having not played it yet I can't speak for how that goes in practice but it looks feasible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Denison
United States
Ames
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jrebelo wrote:
One addition is that the game is intended to play 2 players as well as any other count, though of course having not played it yet I can't speak for how that goes in practice but it looks feasible.

The two player thing is of major interest to me. Other than 1860 and maybe 18OE I have not heard any other games that play particularly well at two players. The reason that is enticing to me is that there are really two of us in our group that are 18XX nuts . With a possible 2-4 other who would be OK regularly joining in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
East Sooke
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish I could give you first hand feedback on Koln with 2 players but I can't. If you enjoy 1860, however (which I have played with two several times and enjoyed them each), I would suggest you might look at 1862: Railway Mania in the Eastern Counties as a two player experience. From the same brilliant mind behind 1860, 1862 share several similarities with 1860 that should suit 2p play well, such as allowing the sale of directorships into the pool and a unique way of handling forced train ownership for corporations.

The only thing I can imagine might make this game clearly less ideal than 1860 for two players is if you or your opponent get overwhelmed by trying to manage more than a couple of corporations at once. In 1862 there would be potential to run a very large number of companies at once and this level of constant bookkeeping with little time to breath and think (without slowing the game down excessively) could be overwhelming to some.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boris
Netherlands
Groningen
Nederland
flag msg tools
18xx addict
badge
18xx addict
mbmbmbmbmb
eva01iastate wrote:
The two player thing is of major interest to me. Other than 1860 and maybe 18OE I have not heard any other games that play particularly well at two players.

Just last week I've ordered 1893: Cologne from Marflow Games, specifically for the supported low player count. Without ever having read the rules, let alone having played it. Waiting for it to arrive now. It's a gamble

Steam over Holland plays fine with two, though it is a bit bland.

jrebelo wrote:
I would suggest you might look at 1862: Railway Mania in the Eastern Counties as a two player experience.

I second this, 1862: Railway Mania in the Eastern Counties is pretty great, even for 2 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler McLaughlin
Canada
Medicine Hat
Alberta
flag msg tools
Talk
badge
Words
mbmbmbmbmb
I can. 1893 plays very well 2 player. I've played half a dozen games with my Dad and we had a great time with it.

JC's synopsis is fairly bang on. I would add that there is a cool optional feature where you can add "industry" to map locations. They occupy station marker slots, add 10 to the value of the location for only players who have a station marker in the same location and every other company now treats the location like a small town! We really liked that rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jim b
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
I think he'd be happy to share the rules, if you ask.

I don't think it's necessarily a copyright thing.

It may be that he wants to casually maintain/update the rules, when needed, without a 'published' reference point on the website. (For example, sometimes the english translations are a bit spotty, initially.)

This is just my speculation.

You can see substantial rules evolution on some of his earlier titles- the version #'s reflect this, but there's not a lot of other noise/notice about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.