Subject: Schoolroom requirement rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Randy D

Wyoming
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On page 7 of the rulebook, the requirement for the Schoolroom is as follows: "The Schoolroom may not be placed in a saloon that already has a Poker Room tile."

The Schoolroom tile is a small tile and the Poker Room tile is a large tile, so how is this even possible since small room tiles may never be placed on top of large room tiles?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your saloon is the whole board. Building a poker room anywhere disqualifies you from building the schoolroom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Myers
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
http://playtmg.com/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been meaning to ask about the Saloon vs Saloon tile clarification also but I can take a guess. The first tile you get is the "Saloon tile", but that tile is only part of the whole player board Saloon. The only tile that specifically says must be built above the "saloon tile" is the theater, but all other tiles can be built in the other places to follow the restrictions of the player board which is your Complete Saloon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.J. Porfirio
United States
Thompsons Station
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
What Van Ryder Game are YOU playing?
mbmbmbmbmb
Bogusgig wrote:
I have been meaning to ask about the Saloon vs Saloon tile clarification also but I can take a guess. The first tile you get is the "Saloon tile", but that tile is only part of the whole player board Saloon. The only tile that specifically says must be built above the "saloon tile" is the theater, but all other tiles can be built in the other places to follow the restrictions of the player board which is your Complete Saloon.

Correct. The requirement is that you have not yet built a poker room when you first place the school room.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy D

Wyoming
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What is the difference between "placing" a tile and "building" a room? Why is one term used in place of the other when describing prerequisites? For example:

"In order to build [the Brothel], the player must already have placed a Guest Room tile."

"In order to build [the Whiskey Still], the player must already have built a Pharmacy."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.J. Porfirio
United States
Thompsons Station
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
What Van Ryder Game are YOU playing?
mbmbmbmbmb
randyd42 wrote:
What is the difference between "placing" a tile and "building" a room? Why is one term used in place of the other when describing prerequisites? For example:

"In order to build [the Brothel], the player must already have placed a Guest Room tile."

"In order to build [the Whiskey Still], the player must already have built a Pharmacy."

Nothing, they are equivalent. Build = Place. When you build something you are required to place it. Same thing. We did our best to be consistent with the terminology, but obviously there are some places we could have done a better job.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy D

Wyoming
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick replies. I kind of figured this was a terminology thing where "place" refers the physical act of putting a tile on the board and "build" refers to the chosen action on a player's turn of placing a selected tile. Although this is a subtle distinction which essentially yields the same result, I wanted to check just in case I missed some subtle mechanic about the game that relates to this distinction.

Great game and very thematic and intuitive!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.