Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Bretsch
United States
University City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. There were quite a few boardgames that went out this year and many people have their favorite games and favorite genres. I personally was gratified by the release of City of Spies: Estoril 1942.

But within a space of a few days, I learned about the release of another Risk game. Yawn. But then I discovered that Risk Europe is way different. If I look past the branding and the name, this is seriously the definitive introductory DOAM game. It seriously advances the genre and makes DOAM games really accessible.

For me it turned out that the best game of 2016 for far was..... Risk? Even I am having a hard time believing that.

But if I look past all the biases that come with the name, it is truly a great game. And Risk Europe is getting nothing but very honest "9" and "10" ratings, which is remarkable given the inherent (and justified) biases on BGG towards historically wanting to rate anything "Risk" related a 5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Smith
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It does look like a very good evolved risk but best of 2016? Be prepared for some Scytheing alternatives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm yet to buy any 2016 releases (games, have some expansions) and looking at the stuff to come for the rest of year, doesn't seem likely to change, 2016 looks like being the worst year for new games in ages.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dillenbeck
United States
Deerfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmb
Bought mine a few weeks back during the Amazon sale - dual purpose. If I don't like it, I will be able to use the pieces for use with Warriors and Traders (though I need to make some castles for different players and something for the Princes). Still, after seeing Marco's review, I'm hoping this game will be a copy of Risk that I'll actually enjoy playing on occasion (I used to play it and didn't like it, then moved on to the Milton Bradley version of Axis and Allies, then into hex and counter wargames, and now onto GMT COIN series titles for wargaming).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett B
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think most gamers probably understand that "Risk" doesn't neccesarily mean Risk any more.

At least, the BGG ratings for games like Risk Legacy, Risk: Star Wars Edition, and Risk 2210 A.D. would tend to suggest that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cris Whetstone
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bouchbre wrote:
I think most gamers probably understand that "Risk" doesn't neccesarily mean Risk any more.

At least, the BGG ratings for games like Risk Legacy, Risk: Star Wars Edition, and Risk 2210 A.D. would tend to suggest that.

I think you just disproved your own point. If you are talking about a Risk spinoff then you would, as you do above, denote which one that is so as not to be confused with the original game.

When I read the title I thought he had never actually played the old school game and just got around to it. But in fact he was trying to be clever or sort of click-baity just to get people to think just that: that he was talking about the old Risk that people like to sneer at rather than a new iteration that people actually like and rate highly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Shalev
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
I'm yet to buy any 2016 releases (games, have some expansions) and looking at the stuff to come for the rest of year, doesn't seem likely to change, 2016 looks like being the worst year for new games in ages.

There's certainly a lot of retreads like Mansions of Madness, Mare Nostrum Empires, Pandemic Reign of Cthulhu, Dead of Winter: The Long Night, Stronghold 2nd edition, etc. But it does seem like a strong year for people who like bigger meatier games, from Star Wars Rebellion to Seafall to Conan to 7th Continent. Risk Europe might be getting lost in the relatively strong lineup of bigger, conflict-based games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WetRock wrote:
sort of click-baity

I'm seeing a bit of this lately in titles
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Bretsch
United States
University City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bortmonkey wrote:
WetRock wrote:
sort of click-baity

I'm seeing a bit of this lately in titles

Yes I guess the title prompts you to ask the question "How, can that be?".

I was hopeful for people to be surprised a bit, much like I was, about having a standard expectation for Risk and then having that exceeded by a factor of x.

I'm really excited about this version of Risk. It has special potential on a number of fronts and could serve as the definitive introductory DOAM game experience -- one that opens the door to bring new players in for other games in the genre.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett B
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WetRock wrote:
bouchbre wrote:

I think you just disproved your own point. If you are talking about a Risk spinoff then you would, as you do above, denote which one that is so as not to be confused with the original game.

When I read the title I thought he had never actually played the old school game and just got around to it. But in fact he was trying to be clever or sort of click-baity just to get people to think just that: that he was talking about the old Risk that people like to sneer at rather than a new iteration that people actually like and rate highly.

Regardless of whether the OP was being click-baity or not, I didn't disprove my own point. shake

I simply answered on face value.

The OP asserted that is was surprising that Risk Europe was good given that Risk isn't.

I just pointed out that it's not surprising given there are many other examples of well regarded "Risk" games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DOAM game? Oh Dudes on a map.

Just read a review of Risk Eurpoe and it does look quite good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
karl paulsen

Chicago
Illinois
msg tools
mbmb
Just saw this at Target this week. The differing minis per faction really caught my eye.

Is this similar to "Castle Risk"? I've got Castle in my game closet, but I haven't played it yet. I'm not a huge fan of classic Risk, but I really enjoyed the Lord of the Rings version.

EDIT: Just read the review above. Looks like it's quite a bit different than Castle Risk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Bretsch
United States
University City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eilif wrote:
Just saw this at Target this week. The differing minis per faction really caught my eye.

Is this similar to "Castle Risk"? I've got Castle in my game closet, but I haven't played it yet. I'm not a huge fan of classic Risk, but I really enjoyed the Lord of the Rings version.

EDIT: Just read the review above. Looks like it's quite a bit different than Castle Risk.

I see it has a greatly streamlined and greatly enriched Castle Risk experience. I wanted that game for awhile --- but now owning this game, it is really a well-designed DOAM game that compels me to want to get it to the table. And I think that this time, the "Risk" brand is actually a benefit because I know lots of "everyday" people who would play Risk but not any of the deeper games. Yet.

So this could be the "bridge" to get them interested. We'll see. But that is the theory I am advancing for myself right now.

It would really be neat if a major reviewer would take a flyer on this one, despite the Risk "brand" and review it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Drake
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
WetRock wrote:

I really like new Risk, the one that was first released as Black Ops. And that's just called Risk. OK, old-school Risk is not my favorite, but the revamped Risk is a very good game, and one that I enjoy on a regular basis.

But I also adore all the variant Risk games, like the two-player one that came out of Canada (I forget the name, and my copy was lost in a fire) and Legacy and 2210. Didn't much care for LOTR Risk, and Risk: Battlefront has almost nothing in common with Risk at all but was still pretty fun. The new Risk: Star Wars (where it's all about the Battle of Endor) is also pretty good, though it's just two players, and also has virtually nothing in common with Risk.

I'll pick up Risk: Europe, because it's my birthday soon and I buy my own presents anyway because I'm a grown-up with a job. I hadn't heard about it before now, and I appreciate the OP posting this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VixenTorGames wrote:
I really like new Risk, the one that was first released as Black Ops. And that's just called Risk. OK, old-school Risk is not my favorite, but the revamped Risk is a very good game, and one that I enjoy on a regular basis.

Risk (Revised Edition)? I've been meaning to try that with some Catan houses for cities & capitols.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Drake
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
zabdiel wrote:
Risk (Revised Edition)? I've been meaning to try that with some Catan houses for cities & capitols.

That's the one. The plastic for that game is pure-D crap, though - the little arrows are too hard to pick up. But the game itself is very good. It's still definitely Risk, just a heck of a lot better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nah, the best new boardgame of 2016 still sounds like Star Wars: Rebellion to me, which is supposed to play a bit like a DoaM game mixed with the Fury of Dracula. Sounds like a winner to me! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VixenTorGames wrote:
That's the one. The plastic for that game is pure-D crap, though - the little arrows are too hard to pick up. But the game itself is very good. It's still definitely Risk, just a heck of a lot better.

Nice, I'll be using an older edition with proper armies so no worries about picking up pieces. I do like the look of the arrows in the pictures but if you can't pick them up then they're pointless. If I consider any country in Asia to have 2 and the rest to have then I've got the cards so I just need to make up some objective + reward cards and a reference card. I might do that tonight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Drake
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My copy came last night. I hope to play it this weekend. It looks great. Reminds me of Samurai Swords (originally Shogun) but maybe without the six-hour play time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Bretsch
United States
University City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone should let the rest of us know how it plays, from their perspective. I know this game will not necessarily garner a lot of love in the BGG community-- precisely because its "Risk".

But Hasbro invests a lot into their game brands, so its not surprising that they would use the Risk brand to get this in front of as many people as possible.

Clearly, however, this game is NOT Risk. Although the game does share some slight mechanical bloodlines with the original and other variant versions...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LukeTDG wrote:
My copy has arrived. I am slammed with work at the moment but am itching to try and play it tonight if I can fit it in.

I played Memoir '44 the other night which I suppose has acted as my Risk substitute, so I am really interested to see how this feels versus Memoir '44. One thing I am really looking forward to with Risk versus Memoir is a three player battle.

24 scores for Risk and none under 7. Bodes well

It doesn't need to be anywhere near best game 2016 to plug the gap I think I have for it!

I don't understand the comparison to Memoir '44. They are two very different games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom O'Neill
United States
Pacific
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This one game that caught my eye. And then purchased a week later.

Outstanding game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanks for putting up a video of this I had no idea at all about this game, I mean I saw it but like you I went meh and passed it up.

Now if someone brings it out I'll play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hutnik
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
bouchbre wrote:

I am liking what they are doing with it. Unless Monopoly, they manage to rework each Risk game to be different with each one. It is like Risk is a name for intro area combat wargames published by Hasbro.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hutnik
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
eilif wrote:

I thought it would also be a reworking of Castle Risk but it isn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.