Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Hajdasz
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
www.celjaded.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
(Via my blog CelJaded)

Gears of War The Board Game was teased in the summer of 2009 and despite an intervening two year period where information on the production was less than forthcoming, there was still a considerable level of hype leading up to its eventual September 2011 release date.

The Gears of War video game franchise was then helmed by Epic Games and with Gears of War 3 just around the corner, the time for a cardboard adaptation seemed right. Gears of War The Board Game was in a favourable position considering the popularity of the license and upon release it enjoyed a positive response from critics and fans alike.

However, despite being a company well-known for their high production value and fondness for expansion sets, publisher Fantasy Flight Games did not see fit to support Gears beyond releasing a quick FAQ and a token 'mission pack' add-on.

Ultimately it's fair to assume that Gears of War The Board Game sold below its publisher's expectations and now that the license has expired it marks the end for an otherwise fantastic board game that could have gone a lot further than it was given chance to.

Designed by the talented Corey Konieczka, Gears of War The Board Game is notable for its excellent use of theme. An "Ameritrash" production through and through, the game emphasizes key events and mechanics from the video games in a way that feels pleasantly accurate.

Up to 1-4 cooperating players take on the role of hardened marines (or "COGs") battling against the alien Locust horde in one of several different scenarios. The board is made up of individual cardboard tiles depicting areas segmented by walls (or elevation lines) and each one features a multitude of 'cover spaces' that allow players to bunker down and enhance their defence.

Fantasy Flight made shrewd use of Epic Games' official art assets and the whole production looks appropriately sleek and glamorous. This superb production quality extends to the durable card stock, the generously-sized box, and of course: the plastic miniatures. Admittedly, the COG figures are difficult to tell apart, but then it's just another excuse to get them painted alongside their gruesome Locust rivals.

Gears of War The Board Game has a variety of mechanics ranging from the aforementioned combat dice rolls to its wider card-driven gameplay. Players take turns to play Order cards that will alter the flow of battle in their favour. One might grant your character multiple attacks and another might allow you to catch a breather or collect ammo tokens. Every card can also be pitched out of turn to grant one of three different 'reaction' bonuses including extra attacks, defence dice, or movement points.

In a unique twist - one that many people don't appreciate - your hand of action cards also represents your current health total. Taking damage and performing actions will quickly deplete your hand of cards so it's crucial not to overextend unless you're certain that victory is within grasp. Whilst the 'cards as health' mechanic is elegant enough and reduces token clutter, it does make for a stiff difficulty curve.

Like the video game, it is essential for players to stay in a cover space whenever possible. The dice-driven combat takes no prisoners and any player caught standing out in the open will be quickly ripped to shreds by simulated machine gun fire and grenade blasts. It's not uncommon to suffer an abysmal defence roll and lose all of your cards in the process. Downed players can be revived by their teammates, but this is at further expense and can be dangerous when you consider that the Locust AI acts after every player turn.

Gears of War The Board Game can be unpleasantly "swingy" because of this. Players can quite easily lose everything in the space of a single enemy attack and because combat is so persistent it makes recovering from such bad situations extremely difficult.

Players can perform 'Overkill' attacks to help even the odds, but whilst it's incredibly entertaining to roll a whole fistful of attack dice, it comes at the expense of an ammo token regardless of whether you succeed in rolling well. You cannot fire a weapon that has run out of ammo and it's not uncommon for longer scenarios to bog down due a lack of bullets.

There are three specific Order cards that will grant you a much-needed breather when played, but again these cards can be unreliable because they can be prematurely discarded or buried at the bottom of their respective deck. Downed players will struggle to replenish their hand of cards and if you visit the BoardGameGeek forums you will find many variants suggesting a remedy to the overly harsh 'bleeding out' mechanic.

Luckily the variable setup routine for each scenario helps make any restarts feel less repetitive. There's not a whole lot to do other than advancing through rooms, killing enemies, and picking up the odd new weapon, but these simple feats are still accomplished with flair. Collecting a new weapon always feels satisfying for instance and it's rare that a turn will go by without a player using one of their COG's special abilities.

In practice the game is extremely tactical and the cooperative experience is one that's quick to reward communication between players. Each character and enemy figure feels suitably different from one another and it's vital that players learn these nuances quickly if they want to stand any chance of seeing this difficult game through to its conclusion.

The Locust enemies are governed through the use of "AI" cards. Using an intuitive system of 'if/otherwise' commands, enemies are able to respond in different ways depending on the current state of the board. A Locust who gets activated in the same space as a player is likely to make a direct attack whereas a Locust several spaces away might sacrifice its attack opportunity to make extra moves instead.

There are few awkward aspects to this system (like how you're encouraged to keep one weak enemy alive so that more don't spawn), but on the whole it's quite ingenious at simulating the feel of an opposing force working against the players.

Turns go by incredibly fast and in general the marriage of card play and dice, as well as the risk/reward ratio of 'Overkill' attacks are effective at keeping players engaged. But if there's one major negative about this game then it's definitely in its player scaling.

Despite being orientated around cooperative squad-based combat, Gears of War The Board Game does not scale well with multiple players. As expected, each person at the table contributes towards a scenario's running time and difficulty, but the downtime between player turns is similarly increased and there will be a lot more dice rolling to be done for all those additional enemy figures.

Each map tile is snugly designed, but you'll rarely find enough cover spaces for all COGs to take shelter at once. 1-2 players certainly feels like the sweet spot and whilst you can get away with a reasonable experience at 3 players, 4 players will make the game bulky and overly difficult without house rules in place.

Looking past these flaws though reveals a tense and enjoyable cooperative game that's faithful to its video game roots. There are no Descent-like campaign features or expandable character options here; just straightforward shoot 'em up action with a hard edge and cooperative twist.

There are plenty of hours play to be had with the default scenarios and the 'Horde' survival mode is particularly replayable because of its variable difficulty settings and undiluted premise.

Fans of Gears of War The Board Game have always been eager to see more content though. Fantasy Flight Games did release a small card-based booster called Gears of War: Mission Pack 1 which adds two new scenarios and various enemies that you could theoretically add into the base game, but the support ended there.

This was a huge shame as Fantasy Flight's new Print On Demand model was a perfect fit for this game's (assumedly intentional) card-driven design. The potential for new weapons, new characters, and other enemies and scenarios was there, but that potential went unrealised.

A month before Gears of War The Board Game was released, Fantasy Flight announced that they had acquired the rights to produce board games based on the Star Wars licence. Releases such as X-Wing and Imperial Assault went on to become massive hits and it seems as if Gears of War just got lost in the shuffle.

As this reality began to sink in, fans began making their own content (again, over at BoardGameGeek) and I've even given it a go with Custom COG Pack 1 and Custom COG Pack 2.

Board games based on video games are very popular at the moment though and with Gears of War 4 due in a couple of months time, who knows? Maybe Fantasy Flight will consider revamping their stellar effort here with a brand new design?...

After all, what's good enough for DOOM is good enough for Gears!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pullen

Amarillo
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely love this game, especially the execution of the "A.I." deck mechanic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
Canada
Kinda SW of Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Board games based on video games are very popular at the moment though and with Gears of War 4 due in a couple of months time, who knows? Maybe Fantasy Flight will consider revamping their stellar effort here with a brand new design?..."

I like this. I like how the original Doom board game mirrored Doom 3. And I like how the the new Doom 2016 board game is mirroring the play of the newest Doom 2016 video game as it has a very different style of play. If Gears 4 brings some innovation to the video game, it would be great if a newly designed board game mirrored that in some respect, making it different enough to have in the collection in addition the the original Gears of War board game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio Riquelme
Chile
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
super_d wrote:
"Board games based on video games are very popular at the moment though and with Gears of War 4 due in a couple of months time, who knows? Maybe Fantasy Flight will consider revamping their stellar effort here with a brand new design?..."

I like this. I like how the original Doom board game mirrored Doom 3. And I like how the the new Doom 2016 board game is mirroring the play of the newest Doom 2016 video game as it has a very different style of play. If Gears 4 brings some innovation to the video game, it would be great if a newly designed board game mirrored that in some respect, making it different enough to have in the collection in addition the the original Gears of War board game.

Nah. I think GoW is a terrific boardgame and would love to play it with new mechanics ADDED to the original. Not willing to spend more money for a similar game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Beck
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gears of war was great back then but after the release of Galaxy Defenders it was completetly fired for me.

GD is much more tactical, not that luck-dependent in combat and not that random in the AI scripts.

Nonetheless I was impressed with Gears of war but I was more impressed by GD, that refined the whole AI system the D&D games and Gears introduced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TOSHIRO MIFUNE
Japan
Iwakuni
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the review. I actually got a unused copy sitting in the closet. Someday I'll get to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kelly
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MAGIC HATE BALL wrote:
Thanks for the review. I actually got a unused copy sitting in the closet. Someday I'll get to it.

The sooner the better. Loved you in "Shogun".
TK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Hajdasz
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
www.celjaded.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eisen29 wrote:
Absolutely love this game, especially the execution of the "A.I." deck mechanic.

It is a great feature and I especially like how the Locust behave in different ways depending on their cards. You can predict their moves sometimes if you've got a good enough memory!

I could do without the "Distraction" AI card in all honesty though. The game is paced well enough without the need to keep discarding a player's ammo tokens. I might house rule that card out from now on thinking about it...

super_d wrote:
I like how the original Doom board game mirrored Doom 3. And I like how the the new Doom 2016 board game is mirroring the play of the newest Doom 2016 video game as it has a very different style of play. If Gears 4 brings some innovation to the video game, it would be great if a newly designed board game mirrored that in some respect, making it different enough to have in the collection in addition the the original Gears of War board game.

Yeah, it's nice that owners of the orignal DOOM board game don't necessarily have to sell it off just to "upgrade" to the new one. It's nice that both games will be unique in their own way just with the same flavour and setting that fans enjoy.

Nogardo wrote:
I think GoW is a terrific boardgame and would love to play it with new mechanics ADDED to the original.

I think if a few of Gears' more awkward rules were ironed out in a new version then yeah, it would be pretty close to perfect in terms of the experience it shoots for. A Descent-like version 2 would be most welcome, but I can't see it ever happening.

Beckikaze wrote:
Gears of war was great back then but after the release of Galaxy Defenders it was completetly fired for me.

Interesting comparison. I've never played GD- is it quite similar?

MAGIC HATE BALL wrote:

Definitely worth a shot, though if you still have it sealed then it might actually be worth selling it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Conroy
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Franklin1742 wrote:
tkelly wrote:
MAGIC HATE BALL wrote:

TK

His best role was in 'Throne of Blood' though.

Agree - of the movies I've seen him in. Lady Macbeth (or whatever she was called, was it Noh?) Was also excellent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Hajdasz
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
www.celjaded.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
achates wrote:
Franklin1742 wrote:
tkelly wrote:
MAGIC HATE BALL wrote:

TK

His best role was in 'Throne of Blood' though.

Agree - of the movies I've seen him in. Lady Macbeth (or whatever she was called, was it Noh?) Was also excellent.

It may be the typical choice, but it's Seven Samurai for me. There is a film that really does have it all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian
Germany
flag msg tools
I just got a brand new copy today on ebay for a good price and can't wait to finally play it. Also many thanks to you and all the other fans who spend time creating more content for the game, looking forward to play these expansions as well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
super_d wrote:

Unfortunately, this won't be happening as FFG let the license on the Gears IP expire. I bet they're kicking themselves on that one with the new video game coming out that is sure to be a hit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Hajdasz
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
www.celjaded.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glorious Strategist wrote:
super_d wrote:

Unfortunately, this won't be happening as FFG let the license on the Gears IP expire. I bet they're kicking themselves on that one with the new video game coming out that is sure to be a hit.

It is indeed unlikely, but licences can be renewed so never say never I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
Canada
Kinda SW of Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hajdasz wrote:
Glorious Strategist wrote:
super_d wrote:

It is indeed unlikely, but licences can be renewed so never say never I guess.

Yes, never say never! I was quite shocked, excited and delighted when FFG announced DOOM: The Board Game for 2016.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.