$20.00
Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Fury of Dracula (third edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Lighter/Shorter Alternative? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]

Orlando
Florida
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all, I am looking for a game that captures the tension of FoD, but plays 2-3 players in less than 2 hours.

Specter Ops comes to mind, but I'm not a fan of the theme/art/style. Is there something else out there?

I've heard escape from the aliens from outer space is good fun, but it's not the same one vs many, correct?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Hook
United States
Lenexa
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would think that you could house-rule FoD to make it work for you, to make it play faster with potentially fewer players in a shorter amount of time.

1. Shorten a week to not include Saturday and Sunday. Upon completion of Friday, go immediately to Monday with a addition of a Despair token.
2. Allow Hunters to use the "Move" action during the night.
3. If playing with less than four Hunters, allow Mina to use her special ability without having to be in the same city as another Hunter, but maybe allow her to only do each province once per game.
4. Reduce the number of Hideouts on the track to five.
5. Reduce Dracula's win condition to ten Influence Points.

These are the rule adjustments that come to mind that could dramatically impact the time length of the game. Also, something I do in my games, is starting with the "second week" in the game, each Hunter player has 60 seconds to choose and execute an action. If the player is perplexed and can't make a decision, then that player is forced to take no action on their turn, and they are skipped for this round of actions. In the games that I have played, the Hunter players usually need the fullness of the first week to get the hang of the game, but starting with the second Monday, they are on the clock.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Orlando
Florida
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neat idea, I wonder how this would effect balance one way or the other?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joekeck
United States
jackson
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I hope the OP doesn't mind that we aren't really answering the question that was originally asked, but I also have ideas how to shorten FoD

I haven't tried it yet, but I would try to simulate a mid-game situation to cut the game in half:

.start on thurs with 1 despair token on the board
.drac starts with 6 (maybe 7) influence
.drac & the hunters all start with half their health (probably rounded down, since they all have the ability to heal)
.each hunter starts with 2 items & 1 ticket (except godalming who would have 3 items & 2 tickets due to his abilities)
.deal out event cards, discarding all 'play immediately' cards without effect, until each hunter has 2 events and drac has 4. Then shuffle the discards back into the deck
.1 or 2 hunters start with a bite token (I haven't seen that many bites in the games ive played so far, so I would just put 1 bite on a hunter. But I would make it count - don't put it on van helsing)
.drac starts with either 0 or 1 rumour token
.and maybe: after the hunters have chosen their starting locations, Dracula chooses his starting city and then makes two(ish?) moves from there, creating a trail of three cards (so the hunters have a trail to find), but he only places an encounter on the first (and maybe second) space on the trail (his ending/current location)

I would try this and if anything seems imbalanced, then make the adjustments that you consider necessary to yer next game


JonHook wrote:
If playing with less than four Hunters, allow Mina to use her special ability without having to be in the same city as another Hunter, but maybe allow her to only do each province once per game.
this sounds too restricting to me
I would think yer gonna wanna be able to check the same region more than once, especially with fewer hunters
my suggestion is if she's not with another hunter, then she becomes delayed


as for playing with fewer than 5 players who don't want to play as more than one character, I've always wondered if it would work to do something similar to Power Grid: declare that no one can go to certain regions.
perhaps subtract 1 region from the board for each player you don't have
e.g. if you have 3 players, block off 2 regions
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian K
msg tools
Check out Letters From Whitechapel.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Hook
United States
Lenexa
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
keckles wrote:

JonHook wrote:
If playing with less than four Hunters, allow Mina to use her special ability without having to be in the same city as another Hunter, but maybe allow her to only do each province once per game.
this sounds too restricting to me
I would think yer gonna wanna be able to check the same region more than once, especially with fewer hunters
my suggestion is if she's not with another hunter, then she becomes delayed


Fantastic idea! I love the "delayed" cost instead of the limitation I had originally proposed.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Orlando
Florida
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brianish wrote:
Check out Letters From Whitechapel.


My fear is letters will be too dry for those I play with regularly :-/
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joekeck
United States
jackson
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
keckles wrote:
.and maybe: after the hunters have chosen their starting locations, Dracula chooses his starting city and then makes two(ish?) moves from there, creating a trail of three cards (so the hunters have a trail to find), but he only places an encounter on the first (and maybe second) space on the trail (his ending/current location)

perhaps a better way to word this is that drac takes two turns before godalming takes his first turn
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joekeck
United States
jackson
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
JonHook wrote:
keckles wrote:

JonHook wrote:
If playing with less than four Hunters, allow Mina to use her special ability without having to be in the same city as another Hunter, but maybe allow her to only do each province once per game.
this sounds too restricting to me
I would think yer gonna wanna be able to check the same region more than once, especially with fewer hunters
my suggestion is if she's not with another hunter, then she becomes delayed


Fantastic idea! I love the "delayed" cost instead of the limitation I had originally proposed.

thanks!
another possibility could be to send mina to the nearest hospital, but I think I prefer the delayed cost
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Orlando
Florida
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
keckles wrote:
JonHook wrote:
keckles wrote:

JonHook wrote:
If playing with less than four Hunters, allow Mina to use her special ability without having to be in the same city as another Hunter, but maybe allow her to only do each province once per game.
this sounds too restricting to me
I would think yer gonna wanna be able to check the same region more than once, especially with fewer hunters
my suggestion is if she's not with another hunter, then she becomes delayed


Fantastic idea! I love the "delayed" cost instead of the limitation I had originally proposed.

thanks!
another possibility could be to send mina to the nearest hospital, but I think I prefer the delayed cost


Sometime this month I'll compile this thread and test it out. I have the game still in shrink, can't ever get enough players or time to play it :-(
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Marshall
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scotland Yard and Garibaldi are shorter find-the-hidden-player games.

Scotland Yard was the first game of the type (as far as I know) and remains very good, as well as being a great deal simpler and quicker than FoD. Garibaldi has more theme (you're tracking down Garibaldi rather than a generic 'Mr. X') and rules than Scotland Yard, but still comes in shorter than FoD.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Etienne Aubert
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Try "Nuns on the Run"
It's a light game that play's under 1 hours, and works great with several players (from 3 to 7).
It's a bit different, but you still have this tension when you try to hide from the Mother Sister which is patrolling around.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joekeck
United States
jackson
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I agree that Scotland Yard is worth a try
I didn't mention it before because I hadn't played it yet
its basically just like FoD except the bad guy (mr. x, not dracula) doesn't leave traps behind in the places he visits and you don't have to fight once you find him
mr. x loses as soon as he is in the same city as an investigator
and its much shorter than FoD



tho if you already own FoD, you could probably modify it to be simpler & faster like SY by removing the combat, item, event, and encounter cards
instead of getting 13 influence, drac wins when there are 3 despair tokens on the time track and no sea zone cards in his trail
the hunters win when (1? 2? 3? 4?) of them are in the same city as drac
the hunters each make one movement during day and have no night actions phase
the hunters start with two train tickets each and automatically draw a new ticket when they use one (maybe godalming draws 2 and chooses 1, or for a simpler rule maybe his hand limit is 3 or even 4 tix)
the only other hunter who might have a special ability is mina with her radar (and since thers no night actions - which is when she mostly uses this ability - maybe, as previously mentioned, she can still use the ability when alone but if she does she becomes delayed)
drac can proly still use wolf, misdirect, and hide
but he and the hunters never suffer damage for any reason
maybe theres a limit to how many sea zones can be in the trail, or maybe they reveal automatically after they slide down the trail a few spaces, or maybe drac does suffer damage normally (sea & wolf) which he can still replenish with feed and castle drac

if anyone tries this or can think of other adjustments to be made, let me know


and again, I'm sorry I keep bringing up variants & house rules when the OP actually asked for similar games
but I will say that when I first clicked on the link, I was thinking the title "lighter/shorter alternative?" meant that variants & house rules would be at least partially included
so maybe others also come here looking for ways to make FoD shorter/lighter
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Kruse
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
I would love for someone to come up with some concrete rules for a variant like the one suggested above. Something that is REALLY REALLY simple. I've played the game and absolutely love it, but I fear if I buy it I will have trouble getting it to the table with for instance my family during Christmas or other non-gamers that I like to play with.

Having something that's short and simple for enough for them while still maintaining at least the flavor of the hunt and theme would be great as long as it all still works as a game. I've heard that there are simpler/lighter games like this one...but I REALLY like the Dracula theme over Jack the Ripper, Spec ops, and sherlock holmes. Plus having a game that suits both serious and casual gamers is always great.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Orlando
Florida
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
harvest4 wrote:
I would love for someone to come up with some concrete rules for a variant like the one suggested above. Something that is REALLY REALLY simple. I've played the game and absolutely love it, but I fear if I buy it I will have trouble getting it to the table with for instance my family during Christmas or other non-gamers that I like to play with.

Having something that's short and simple for enough for them while still maintaining at least the flavor of the hunt and theme would be great as long as it all still works as a game. I've heard that there are simpler/lighter games like this one...but I REALLY like the Dracula theme over Jack the Ripper, Spec ops, and sherlock holmes. Plus having a game that suits both serious and casual gamers is always great.


This x 1000
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt B
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Inkwell84 wrote:
Specter Ops comes to mind, but I'm not a fan of the theme/art/style. Is there something else out there?


That's too bad because Specter Ops is fantastic and they have what looks to be an amazing app coming out for it soon too.

I've only played FoD once and perhaps my opinion would change after more plays but I never felt the tension like I did with SO.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.