Popular Tags: [View All]
Nate Parkes
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all,

This game has got me fixated on giant fighting robots, and I need something to do while I'm alternatively playing the Tabletopia demo, waiting for new sculpt updates, watching Iron-Blooded Orphans, and twiddling my thumbs.

Does anyone have any recommendations of a great "giant robot" tabletop RPG? I'm hoping to find one that has a robust and rewarding "mech building" system.

Here are the ones I've been looking at:

* Mekton Zeta
* Chris Perrin's Mecha
* Battle Century G
* Apotheosis Drive X
* Remnants

Any recommendatins/suggestions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Derksen
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
designer
armoredgear7.net
badge
Heroes of the Aturi Cluster dockingbay416.com/campaign
mbmbmbmbmb
Dream Pod 9's Jovian Chronicles?
The setting is similar to Gundam's Universal Century stuff, particularly 0080.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
armoredgear7 wrote:
Dream Pod 9's Jovian Chronicles?
The setting is similar to Gundam's Universal Century stuff, particularly 0080 0083.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
The only system mentioned here that I have any experience with is Mekton Zeta. It was enjoyable, and was geared toward this genre (specifically stuff like Macross and UC Gundam). The only other system I attempted to use for Giant Robots is BESM. BESM was easy to use and teach. It was very flexible so you could adapt it to pretty much generate any type of giant robot show you wanted. it was much more generic than Mekton Zeta and therefore less thematic and meaty (though it's a nice option for a casual group).

If you are a Battletech fan then their Mechwarrior sourcebooks were really nice to add an RPG layer on top of you tactical miniature combat. It doesn't get more crunchy than Battletech mixed with Mechwarrior. That combo is not for the casual game group though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oblivion Doll
New Zealand
flag msg tools
phillosmaster wrote:
The only system mentioned here that I have any experience with is Mekton Zeta. It was enjoyable, and was geared toward this genre (specifically stuff like Macross and UC Gundam). The only other system I attempted to use for Giant Robots is BESM. BESM was easy to use and teach. It was very flexible so you could adapt it to pretty much generate any type of giant robot show you wanted. it was much more generic than Mekton Zeta and therefore less thematic and meaty (though it's a nice option for a casual group).

If you are a Battletech fan then their Mechwarrior sourcebooks were really nice to add an RPG layer on top of you tactical miniature combat. It doesn't get more crunchy than Battletech mixed with Mechwarrior. That combo is not for the casual game group though

Battletech/MechWarrior combo is where I built an utterly ridiculous (and awesome) mercenery group equipped with far more than a reasonable amount of Achileus Battle Armour suits. It was hilariously bad. But awesome.

As for the actual question, really I'm not at all up to date on things, so I'm going to be looking into the options being suggested here! Thanks for asking a question I would have asked if I thought of it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iam TwinWarrior
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I was thinking of using Savage Worlds. The rules are simple enough for some DIY rules.

In the rulebook there's a Sentinel NPC which is a small Mecha. But there's rules for making something "Gargantuan", and using size to determine how resilient it is.

Must admit I was going to go Sci-Fi with Savage Worlds, combining it with Giga-Robo!, but then I realised just how small 1:600 scale is. Humans are 2.4mm big!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Cheng
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamer Bearded Tom wrote:
I was thinking of using Savage Worlds. The rules are simple enough for some DIY rules.

In the rulebook there's a Sentinel NPC which is a small Mecha. But there's rules for making something "Gargantuan", and using size to determine how resilient it is.

Must admit I was going to go Sci-Fi with Savage Worlds, combining it with Giga-Robo!, but then I realised just how small 1:600 scale is. Humans are 2.4mm big!

If you decided to go with it anyway (pen & paper for narrative, miniatures for combat?) http://www.picoarmor.com/ is where it's at:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Voderberg
United States
Lake Mary
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you want ones that are still in print?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Voderberg
United States
Lake Mary
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.rebelminis.com/

I recommend rebel minis for 15 millis...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Parkes
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Crosis101 wrote:
Do you want ones that are still in print?

Not necessarily, but hopefully something that's available for purchase as a download.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iam TwinWarrior
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
jetjagaa wrote:
Gamer Bearded Tom wrote:

If you decided to go with it anyway (pen & paper for narrative, miniatures for combat?) http://www.picoarmor.com/ is where it's at:

I saw those.
There's also Peoplescale for some civilians. That's where I first discovered how big 1:600 scale was.

There's Brigade Models, Irregular Miniatures, GHQ and Ground Zero Games. Between the 2mm and 6mm choices there's some good Mecha looking things. Could even use 6mm armoured infantry as robots.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Cheng
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tiny Frontiers has a few good reviews on DriveThruRPG—the KS page is really sparse, but could be a contender:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gallantknightgames/tiny...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.