Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wilson St.James
Canada
Winona
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
Like so many others, I am always on the lookout for a truly good Star Trek game. It occasionally occurs to me that some other games would make very good Star Trek games.
What game do you think could be reskinned with a Star Trek theme?

I shall offer two.

1. Nemo's War. In Nemo's War you can play with different motivations, and move about the earth's oceans in pursuit of the challenge your motivation has given you. To me it would be natural to use different motivations with the different Starfleet captains. Additionally, they fly about the known universe.

2.Firefly (the new LE). From the look of the videos being posted I feel this is an excellent fit. You get to see and use multiple crew, these crew can be differentiated by their own decks, there is a primary goal (episode) but side goals as well, there is combat but also plenty of diplomacy, and there's already scanning!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Grant
United States
Fairview
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Best potential re-skin for Start Trek
The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game

For me, this is a no brainer.

The coop nature of the game, the starting Hero setup (easily rethemed as away team members or bridge crew), the Quest Deck setup that would allow for episodic narratives within the same system...it would be perfect. The newest cycle even has some limited ship mechanics, though I think you would need to do a lot of work there to make that aspect work within the Trek theme.

I've honestly thought about Homebrewing this based on old episodes and ArtScowing the cards, but I just haven't had the time/money to do it right...

I may be a little biased, though...Star Trek is my favorite IP and this is my favorite game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCue
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Victory in the Pacific?

http://www.senselesspastimes.com/2014/10/operation-star-flee...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilson St.James
Canada
Winona
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
Tried your link but it says that I must be invited...?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCue
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
theclergy wrote:
Tried your link but it says that I must be invited...?

That's new. It didn't a couple of months ago, when I first found it. What a pain. Not sure what to advise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Given the frankly ridiculous number of 'decent to good' Star Trek games OUT there at the moment...I feel an important point to start the conversation would be identifying what you are looking for, that you feel is missing?

Tactical Wargame? Federation Commander

Strategic Wargame? Federation & Empire

Light co-op? Star Trek Panic

4x game? Star Trek: Ascendancy

General theme-capturing goal-based game? Star Trek: Fleet Captains

Some kind of exploration/questing? Star Trek: Frontiers

Wanna go full-on story mode? Star Trek: The Adventure Game

etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian V.
Germany
Geisllingen (Steige)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Basically, with a bit of imagination, one could possibly retheme quite a number of games to a Star Trek setting. Take Agricola and call it "Sherman's Planet" or so, you know what I mean.

But I also agree with Xander's post above. Good ST games were already made in the past (though many of them are hard to get these days, took me a while to get a copy of the ST Adventure Game), and it is important to think of what a good candidate would need to deliver. So, in terms of theme, what's the essence of Star Trek? The human condition? Consequences of technological and/or social development?

I think, if we try to capture these "traditional" aspects of ST first, we need to have a scenario based game with a strong story telling element. Something like Mansions of Madness maybe?

Thinking about the more action based (and also more stupid) ST incarnations, we don't have a dungeon crawl game yet. Let's take Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)and call it "Klingon Imperial Assault".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Grant
United States
Fairview
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Panzerknacker wrote:
Basically, with a bit of imagination, one could possibly retheme quite a number of games to a Star Trek setting. Take Agricola and call it "Sherman's Planet" or so, you know what I mean.

But I also agree with Xander's post above. Good ST games were already made in the past (though many of them are hard to get these days, took me a while to get a copy of the ST Adventure Game), and it is important to think of what a good candidate would need to deliver. So, in terms of theme, what's the essence of Star Trek? The human condition? Consequences of technological and/or social development?

I think, if we try to capture these "traditional" aspects of ST first, we need to have a scenario based game with a strong story telling element. Something like Mansions of Madness maybe?

Thinking about the more action based (and also more stupid) ST incarnations, we don't have a dungeon crawl game yet. Let's take Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)and call it "Klingon Imperial Assault".

It would actually be pretty cool to replace the minis in Imperial Assault with Trek characters and run it as a kind of Away Mission game. Possibly in conjunction with the fan-mad IA solo-variant.

From a practical standpoint, though, that's still a pretty lofty goal.

I would look more at the card game end of the spectrum if you're actually planning to design/build this simply do to the relatively low cost to print cards vs finding tiles/boards/minis that would work for the theme.

As I already said, I think The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game is perfect for this, but something like Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Skull & Shackles – Base Set could also work well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian V.
Germany
Geisllingen (Steige)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just out of curiosity (since I haven't played it) -- could this idea already have been turned into reality with the Bandai Star Trek Deck Building Games, like for example Star Trek Deck Building Game: The Original Series?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Grant
United States
Fairview
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Panzerknacker wrote:
Just out of curiosity (since I haven't played it) -- could this idea already have been turned into reality with the Bandai Star Trek Deck Building Games, like for example Star Trek Deck Building Game: The Original Series?

Yes and no--Bandai's deck builder is very much in the Dominion mold (no pun intended, but it's a happy accident ) in that the cards have some limited theme but the game itself has no real narrative or story. You just collect cards to complete random draws and race to a point total.

It's not BAD, and I've had fun with it as an activity while throwing back some beers and watching TNG reruns (the also have 2 TNG versions of the game, which I own as opposed to the TOS version), but it's not great either and doesn't really feel much like Trek beyond the pictures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Hill
Canada
Durham Region
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a lot of great games mentioned here, but, any list of Star Trek games would be incomplete without Star Fleet Battles being introduced. I had great fun playing this throughout the 1980s & 1990s and even today my friend and main opponent are planning to pull it out again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric T
United States
Villa Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the game Star Explorer, very rpg lite and very much Star Trek, even modded it out for Star Trek a few years ago.

I second Star Trek the Adventure Game and Star Trek Panic.

If I mix them all togther, that would be the perfect Star Trek game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.