8 Posts

Legendary Encounters: A Firefly Deck Building Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: What do Non-Player Main Characters Do? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sphere
United States
flag msg tools
Where there is darkness, let me sow light.
mbmbmb
Did I miss something? Can anyone tell me how NPMCs function in the game other than to sit there and look pretty? I don't understand what their role is in the mechanics of gameplay. Thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor S.
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They trigger card effects that have conditions for who are the main characters. I agree that they just kind of seem "there". I really wish they had introduced the ability to interact with them more, especially since they can take damage.

One thing I have started thinking about is giving the players the ability to use a Talent card to trigger the talent ability for main characters that are not used by a player. That would give them a little something and make them feel more a part of the crew.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris G
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They are there to trigger certain card effects and take the hit. But they can only take one hit, not their full health rating. The alternative way, if you are playing with less than 5 players is to have people double up and manage multiple characters. I do wish there was a better middle ground, like mentioned have them able to trigger talents and flaws as well. May be worth testing to see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brain
United States
Belvidere
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
saint1012 wrote:
One thing I have started thinking about is giving the players the ability to use a Talent card to trigger the talent ability for main characters that are not used by a player. That would give them a little something and make them feel more a part of the crew.

I like this idea. I am definitely going to try it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Heineman
United States
LaCrosse
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
saint1012 wrote:
They trigger card effects that have conditions for who are the main characters. I agree that they just kind of seem "there". I really wish they had introduced the ability to interact with them more, especially since they can take damage.

I had this same thought. Solo play isn't as balanced as when five other players are involved, as in this case. It's my biggest beef with the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sphere
United States
flag msg tools
Where there is darkness, let me sow light.
mbmbmb
Thanks for all the replies. Yes, I think I'll adopt Trevor's suggestion- It would make them seem more like "main" characters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmb
saint1012 wrote:

If you are using their Talents, shouldn't their Flaws be a factor too?
I don't think you should be able to choose which Flaw to trigger, as that isn't really how flaws work, but maybe make it random.

possible method: when a Flaw is triggered, shuffle your current avatar along with all non-player main character avatars, and randomly deal one. That avatar's Flaw then takes effect. (you then return all avatars to their previous positions, keeping the same player avatar)

Alternatively, you could roll a die, with greater odds for your current avatar. (example using a d6: if you're playing with only one or two player characters, then assign each non-player MC a number, if one of those numbers is rolled, use that avatar's flaw, else use your player character's flaw. If playing with 3 or 4 player characters (leaving 1 or 2 non-player MCs), then each non-player MC gets assigned 2 numbers).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor S.
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JayJ79 wrote:
saint1012 wrote:

If you are using their Talents, shouldn't their Flaws be a factor too?
I don't think you should be able to choose which Flaw to trigger, as that isn't really how flaws work, but maybe make it random.

possible method: when a Flaw is triggered, shuffle your current avatar along with all non-player main character avatars, and randomly deal one. That avatar's Flaw then takes effect. (you then return all avatars to their previous positions, keeping the same player avatar)

Alternatively, you could roll a die, with greater odds for your current avatar. (example using a d6: if you're playing with only one or two player characters, then assign each non-player MC a number, if one of those numbers is rolled, use that avatar's flaw, else use your player character's flaw. If playing with 3 or 4 player characters (leaving 1 or 2 non-player MCs), then each non-player MC gets assigned 2 numbers).

Oh, there are all sorts of things you can do. I don't like the idea of the flaw triggering a random character. The game is random (and painful) enough. I tested the talent thing a bit yesterday and found it to be surprisingly powerful. The flaws will still just trigger off of my main, but at least I can make that talent a versatile and quite useful card.

Other ways could be that the NPC mains are assigned flaws and talents. A flaw assigned will kill an assigned talent card, and if the avatar gets a flaw without already having a talent, then the flaw sits on their card and will kill the next talent that avatar receives. However, if the avatar has a talent card, any player may trigger it on their turn. Just an alternative.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.