The Siege of Jerusalem (Third Edition)» Forums » Sessions

Subject: AP1 JC vs JB rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jean-christophe coluzzi
Guatemala
flag msg tools
Hello all,

last time I posted here was seven years ago !! I did not have much time for wargaming so I put SOJ aside for a while. However, last year, I met a decent wargamer not far from my small village and decided to initiate him to that wonderful game. He had never heard about it before but he was immediately hooked. We had many games since last year so that he coud practice both as the roman and the judean : none of these games however were Worth a session report. While the rules are easy to grasp, it takes quite a while to understand the full scope of the game and learn how to play efficiently (especially the roman side). Indeed I won some great victories against a novice judean players and also destroyed him utterly as he played the roman.

But, Jean-Baptiste (from now on referred as JB) has learned a lot and is now a very decent judean player so we decided to have a real campaign with me as the roman (playing the roman requires much more skill).

I won't be able to give full detail as it takes too much time but since we use Vassal I'll be able to include screenshots.

Sadly, JB does not speak a single word of English so I'll have to translate and write for him. This is not optimal since he might retain some information about his thoughts and plans in order not to give me any advantages. As for me, I will be able to comment freely on the roman plan as the siege unfold.

ok, let's go...

AP1 planning and setup

Well I'm really a vile roman player devil : In all the games we had before, I attacked the northern part of the city and JB, who tried as the roman a catastrophic one legion assault against Herod's palace, is persuaded that attacking anywhere on the slopes surrounding the city is downright suicidal (I recall telling him, though, that such an assault was possible to an experienced roman player but he might have forgoten.

That's why I chose to make a surprise Attack on the Lower City with 4 legion !!! Yark Yark !!!

I need good mining but I know it's quite possible as long as it is a surprise : Cauldrons and/or Arty would make it terribly difficult.

For such an assault I need at least 2 shafts (3 would be good) and I need to get them on the first roll otherwise the judean would have the leisure to replace his artillery before the assault which would foil my plan !

So, I decided to wait for 5 weeks (If i'm not Lucky with the mining die roll then I'll send my légions against the New City) and I roll a 6 for 4 shafts !!! Yay!

So, first shaft goes to P69 (5 hexes), second to y64 (3 hex +3 drm), third to GG61 (5 hex) and last one to MM59 (5 hex).

I've been very Lucky with the mining die roll but was pretty average for the damage rolls with only one double breach (Q68/R67) in the western part that will allow entry for my testudoes. In other places I'll have to work with my rams in order to enlarge the single hex breaches I did get. Two forts (Z64,MM59) have taken 11 damages though and are on the verge of collapsing which is good.

Did not get an Armored tower .

The face of JB when he saw where I put all these mining shafts was Worth it alone !!

As I surmised the whole judean artillery is around the northern part of the map and around the temple. The nearest cauldron will not be around here before turn 6 !!!

Here is a bird eye view of the southern part of the city just before the assault.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Veenstra
Netherlands
Delft
flag msg tools
Attaque! Toujours attaque!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh goody! An AAR of one of my favourite games..
Man I´m so curious how you´re going to pull this one off..

I tried this variant but failed. The advantages are clear.. But progress is so sloooow... soblue It is an uphill battle..

After a couple of casualties my troops were soon in disarray.. And the Judeans can safely move all their troops to this side of the city..

I´m subscribed!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Veenstra
Netherlands
Delft
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jcco wrote:
Hello all,

So, I decided to wait for 5 weeks (If i'm not Lucky with the mining die roll then I'll send my légions against the New City) and I roll a 6 for 4 shafts !!! Yay!

By the way.. I seem to remember a rule that the shafts have to be dug within a certain range of hexes of the Legion HQ. So to have shafts in the south, your legions have to be there also. Which means you´ll never make it to the New City if you screw up your shaft rolls right? Running from south to north with your legions would be something like a scene from Monthy Pythons "Life of Brian" (Great movie by the way)
Agree?
Regards,
Peter

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sielski
United States
Pequannock
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe Peter is right.

Refresh my memory ... what is the % for the Lower City, and what is the required progress needed on Assault 2 and 3?

Doc
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Veenstra
Netherlands
Delft
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dr Brian wrote:
I believe Peter is right.

Refresh my memory ... what is the % for the Lower City, and what is the required progress needed on Assault 2 and 3?

Doc

First assault phase is 10%
And -again from memory - the second is 20%
But then the third is 35%, I think, or was it 45%? Hm have to re read the rules.

For me the "break" in the game is AP3. AP 1 and 2 are quite doable, but if you haven´t looked ahead towards AP3 before actually starting it, you´re doomed. gulp

This will be so interesting to follow. Let´s say JC is able to take the Lower City, which is quite a challenge, then what? I think going for the new city in AP2 would not be wise. The Romans would be divided too much.

JC, since your opponent doesn´t read English, can you share your plans?

Regards,
Peter

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jean-christophe coluzzi
Guatemala
flag msg tools
Hello again,

I will update this post very soon. Just wanted to make a few comments first:

-I played the same assault against LC 3 times already and was victorious 3 times : if the judean do not place any arty in the area then it is quite doable. Look closely at the map and you will easily spot the weakness : as soon as the roman controls P68 and X63 then the judean cannot bring any reinforcement in the area in between (due to roman HI zoc and no stairs from the wall). That's a stretch of 14 builtups where the judean is crushed between the wall and the roman HI. Progress is slow but eventually the roman will slowly Kill/disrupt enough units to gain control of that part of the city and just need one more built-up from somewhere else.

-Beside, the road to the refuge in that part of the city runs just behind the front line : any panicked unit will give the roman a nice +2 drm to all combats in adjacent hexes !!

-The tricky part is entering the first builtups from the breaches while you are fighting at half strength against regulars in the built-ups : the key here is fire support. You must not rush and take casualties but wait for ballistas and onagers to open the way for you with help from archers and velitaes. This means you enter the breach with Testudoes to protect the arty and archers while they set up. Once the fire support has opened a hole you can disband the testudoes (or just retreat the few survivors ) and send in fresh cohorts to exploit ! While it is a 2 turns process it is a guaranteed success nearly everytime !! Regulars in BU cannot stand against 28FP even with -1 drm for indirect fire. This means that if you get EE or DE you can walk in there very easily and get multiple attacks as a result.

My plan: Advance slowly in testudoes formations to minimize casualties. Testudoes, siege engines and towers should hit the wall by turn 3 and act as mandatory targets from that point. Before that I will only get shot at long range which in my experience is pretty inneffective against tough targets.

Roman fire support follows closely to wipe out any demented militia trying a sortie to delay roman advance. Even the roman artillery is climbing the slope in order to be bought just behind the breaches to allow roman entry : this means I will ony fire 1 fire phase out of 2 each turn at the beginning (since arty is moving).

Anyway, I will refrain from firing against more than one elevated hexes per turn in order to delay reserve activation rolls untill I'm ready to hit the wall full strength : at long range, fire against bastions is pretty useless anyway while attrition might play a role later when I'm Killing judean faster than what he can replace with reserve !!

Leaders stay with artillery batteries to make sure they do rally while advancing. Beware of leaving room for disrupted units to retreat which means that the stacks following the first line should not all be full : a disrupted HI can retreat through a stack of one arty,2 archers and 1 leader max for example....so plan ahead.

Here is the Schedule :

-Turn 3, hit the wall and position archerss and towers ready for turn 4 while tough targets (Testudoes, rams etc...) take the full brunt of judean fire.

-Turn 4, Testudoes enter the breaches and arty set-up behind ready for next turn, while each légion storm its allocated part of the wall after a huge rain of missile (I concentrate the might of one legion against just one key bastion to get good results and usually succeed with huge casualties for the Judean !!)

-Turn 5, fire from behind the breaches and the conquered wall and bastions to soften up the defence...if good result full assault by fresh cohorts, if not wait next turn.

from turn 6 : Street fighting, while rest of legions reduces forts, open new breaches, threaten secondary objectives or wait to be sent into the fray as replacement.

My experience so far :
As I said before, I played it 3 times against different opponents. It usually stretches into the night when the Judean breaks suddenly to lack of suitable defenders after exhausting his reserve.....attrition is a real factor to take into account. While the roman do not take a lot of builtups he usually deals casualties each turn untill suddenly ZOC dissappear (night) and at the same time there are only militia left to plug all the holes....then roman pours in arrrh

-What I meant when I wrote that if the mining die roll was unfavorable then I would Attack New City : remember that you roll for the number of mining shafts before you allocate them !! so, In case I would have rolled less than 2 shafts (let's say one) then I would have allocated it somewhere near NC (Temple outer wall for example) and gone from there without commiting any legion to LC.

See you soon for update 2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Veenstra
Netherlands
Delft
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi JC,

Yep.. Exactly what I planned too.. specially the cover and the room for the disrupted units.
But I got clogged up and made a mess of it.. Tried it only once though.
Nice to know it´s possible

What were your losses?
And, after you´ve taken this part of the city, what´s the plan for AP 2?

Man, I remember again how I liked this game. I´ve played this for years (see my AAR´s) Had so much fun. Into ASL these days, so it´s not likely I wll return to this game soon, but, chatting away on this, I wish I had more time at hand, then I would start a game again..

Ah.. I understand the mining roll now..
Thanks for the updates!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sielski
United States
Pequannock
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jcco wrote:

(due to roman HI zoc and no stairs from the wall

Someone refresh my memory ... what are the "stair" rules, because I think that stairs depicted can be "modified" based on the interphase period, and where Rome is ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jean-christophe coluzzi
Guatemala
flag msg tools
Hello all,

I'm resuming this AAR, but first I'll answer a few questions.

-My plan for AP2 should be taking CD while opening breaches into the Temple outer wall.

-The judean can build temporary stairs BETWEEN 2 assault periods and only between a city part LOST to the roman and a city part they still control (and only from a bastion, fort or gate): this does not apply to the first period. And in any case there are no bastions along that stretch of wall from which to build stairs in the first place !!

OK, let's resume play !

TURN 1 :

Well, not much to write about. Roman moved slowly up the slope under Judean missile fire but suffered no casualties (very long range against siege engines/testudoes/towers). Roman artillery fired at one of the bastions (Just one because I did not want to trigger judean reserves yet) for no result.

Here is the situation at the end of the turn, roman just about one Hex closer to the walls of Jérusalem :

ROMAN TURN 2 :

Part of roman artillerie refused to rally but I still had enough to inflict DD result on my target practice bastion (Still firing at only one Hex per turn) after the Judean had fired against me and had been Lucky Rolling two 6 : One testudo was broken (DD)otherwise I only suffered a few disrupted units Inside my towers and rams.
Roman Advanced one more hex closer and some units would be able to reach the wall next MP.

JUDEAN TURN 2:

One of the disrupted regulars routed. Roman fire was ineffective. I don't know exactly why but my judean opponent suddenly decided to change targets and fire at the roman archers following the first line (I guess it's because he realized he needed to roll only 5 or 6 to hope inflicting a few D results against the roman testudoes) but luckily for me he rolled pretty low and only a couple feoderatis were disrupted behind the roman advancing line.

THEN, The suicidal judean militia sortied out of the breaches hoping to prevent the roman rams and testudoes from reaching the crest and delay my advance....I was ready for that though .

Here are two screenshots of the situation at the end of turn 2:

Eastern part of the wall : (note the militias outside the breach and the other ones Inside the Gate of the Essenes ready for the next sortie).

And the Western part :

By the way, I just forgot to point out that the Judean had evacuated fort Z64 (11 damage) since the ram should get there next turn and he did not want to have 3 regulars burried under the rubbles....But as he did not want me to get it for free, he is illing to sacrifice 3 militia instead.

HOT JB COMMENT : Well, it's now or never because on next turn roman testudoes will simply seal the breaches. Also, I realized I could not hurt the testudoes at long range without artillery so tried to kill some of JC's archers (in the clear) but failed for poor die rolls. Most of my regulars are waiting behind the breaches because I know that anything I put on the wall (outside bastions and forts) is dead meat when fired upon with all the ballistas, onagers, cats, velitae testudoes and roman archers in the area !! And I usually lack sufficient forces to repel the roman at the end of the phase. I need to keep as much regulars alive as I can in order to fight in the street of jerusalem. END COMMENT

Well, I need to pause for now and upload more screenshots, turn 3 very soon.

Bye,
JC
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jean-christophe coluzzi
Guatemala
flag msg tools
On we go with Turn 3 :

ROMAN TURN 3 :

The WORST rally phase ever !! I rolled five 6 in a row (and lots of 5) and the artillery I so much needed refused to rally and prepare to fire despite being stacked with the leaders (even Titus failed to rally the arty crew he was stacked with cry ). At least, only one Cat routed, the rest simply did not want to fire that turn. In the Western part the whole of Lepidus battery was out of order for that turn, elsewhere I could only rally a single ballista and a couple of Onagers.

However, I rallied both of the disrupted units under the tower so I'll be able to resume my advance if I can wipe out the Militia screen without the help from my Arty.

During the fire phase, the Judean only disrupted a few more roman archers and one of the crew pushing a tower (still long range for the few regulars in the bastions).

Then, I opened fire using all I could muster against the militia on the crest (The +1 drm for militia balancing the -1 drm for indirect fire) and was nearly successful in cleaning the whole lot. Still, the sacrifice was not completely vain : due to my lack of Arty in the western part, a few survived and will delay my advance by one turn in that area....Damned !!!

Two screenshots taken after the roman movement phase :

In the west. Notice the surviving militia !

and in the east where I was a bit more successful and reached the wall despite two surviving disrupted militias.

JUDEAN TURN 3:

Nothing much to rally yet. and no reserve activated this turn either.

Roman fire : I finished the few remaining militias outside the wall, destroyed FORT Z64 with my ram opening there a 2 hexes breach for the testudoes, while another ram destroyed the wall at GG61 for another 2 hexes breach :. Then, despite my having a lot of archers ready in the area, I still decided to refrain from firing all I had at the Bastions along the wall : My lack of arty (which had moved up the slope) coupled with the possibility of denying reserve activation for maybe another turn decided me to wait for the Next FP and concentrate on one single bastion which ended in a DE result .....first regular in the dead pile (and still no roman units either) !!

Judean fire was soaked by mandatory targets and brought not much result (firing with 2 regs at a siege engine or a testudo is tough without cauldrons ).

And THEN, the judean moved away from the wall !!!! What a coward !!! More seriously, this was a GOOD move that annoyed me quite a lot: Assuming that next roman turn my arty would rally as it should, I could have fired at each of the four remaining bastions between my breaches, with about 36Ff followed by melee from towers and adjacent walls .... Meaning that I should have taken them anyway while inflicting huge casualties to the defending regulars. JB just deprived me of the pleasure of Killing regulars and conserved them for the final fight in the Streets !!!

JB COMMENT : Yup, playing against JC taught me that it is just stupid to try and resist against such odds. Better to fight another day...By the way, putting militia in the bastions is just stupid either, it makes things even much easier for the roman and achieve Nothing....His mighty artillery will not have anything much to shoot at next turn...Yark Yark !!! END COMMENT

JC COMMENT : He is right of course. Vassal makes it easier to explore alternate way by simply reloading a save. I played the roman SHOOTING/STORMING/SHOOTING that would have followed if he had kept his regulars in there TWICE : First time I took the 4 bastions in one go, second time I took only 3 due to bad rolling BUT in both cases between 6 and 8 regulars were just added to the dead pile ! So he just saved about 7 regulars with this move. END COMMENT

And that was the end of TURN 3.

I'm so sorry, I lost the screenshots I took after the Judean turn 3, but don't worry I've got all the ones for the following turn.

EDIT : Forgot to tell that Fort MM59 was also evacuated this turn by the judean since it will be rubbled by the ram next turn....3 sacrificial militia replace the regulars there who are saved for later use.

UPDATE IN A FEW HOURS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jean-christophe coluzzi
Guatemala
flag msg tools
ROMAN TURN 4

Good rally phase this turn with nearly all Arty available except for the routing Catapult which continues fleeing toward the edge of the map.

Judean fire is sparse since most of the regulars are now waiting Inside the walls. The few regulars left in the Forts and the Gate of Essenes are unable to inflict any casualties on the rams and roman testudoes.

As the roman, I decide to concentrate all the firepower available against the Most annoying Forts (O70 and LL61) with good results : lots of disrupted regs that will not shoot back next FP.

Then I suddenly noticed that JB had made a HUGE mistake : one of the Built-ups behind the easternmost breach is defended by a LONE regular !! I only have a few Velites able to fire through that breach but I'm very Lucky to roll a 6 . With a single disrupted regular I'm sure to enter the BU this turn and get a multiple Attack if I can get fresh HI in there !!

Movement phase : Testudoes can now enter the breaches in the western part and center of the city (although Titus has been delayed) while Arty and archers get in position just behind.
Roman archers climb up the walls and bastions abandoned by the Judean regulars.

Here are the screenshots :

Western part

and center

In the eastern part I threw caution to the Wind to take advantage of JB's mistake. I had to send fresh HI without preliminary fire from behind the breach but the occasion was not to be missed. However the ram and a testudo blocked the way through !! I decided to leave the ram there and send its crew Inside the city. New HI could then rush from behind through that hex and on the breach itself...I managed to get a full cohort there (with Phrygius) for a nice +1 drm. The testudo was sent in to plug the access from the stairs into LL61 (If I can get HI on the wall, that fort will be flanked next turn). Roman fire support moved right behind as well as fresh HI ready to move in. A few more spare and now useless testudoes were also disbanded.

Eastern part before the melee :

Melee:

Well, as expected the lone regular was overrun giving entry into the first BU and enabling Phrygius to Attack again from the breach with a full cohort....for a nice end result :

But, sometimes luck can bring some unexpected results as well : Attacking through the stairs, at Half strength, and after Rolling two 6 in a row, I got that :

Note that the feoderati on the tower was free to advance in the vacated bastion at the end of the melee phase. These two units that were Lucky to get in, could never be pushed back for the rest of the AP !!

JUDEAN TURN 4:

Rally phase : First judean reserve activated at last. JB got 7 militia and 3 new regulars.

the TWO disrupted regulars in Fort LL61 PANICKED !!! This is great !! Panicked units MUST move last which means that LL61 cannot be reinforced by any means !! It is doomed !

JB COMMENT : Not only do I make terrible mistakes, not only is JC a tough roman player BUT he is also terribly Lucky....I should maybe just concede the game shake . END COMMENT

fire phase: Fort MM59 was rubbled, opening a new breach in the eastern part of the city. The wall next to fort O70 received 2 more damage for a total of 6 (we forgot to update the damage counter so there will be some discrepancies with the next few screenshots...Twas corrected later). Roman on the wall and towers disrupted a lot of Judean regulars in the BU which means that at least they won't fire back and will be out of combat until next judean turn.

I cannot stress enough the importance of having fire support from the wall and bastions as well as towers (which can fire over the wall). Judean will never be able to take back a bastion held by HI+VEL from the stairs....no need for two HI there, bring in the Velites. Archers on the wall are quite safe as well, there is only limited missile fire coming from the BU.

Roman fire support from the wall will not kill a lot of units but will keep a significant part of the judean force out of combat each turn until they are cycled and rallied. Beside, they impose a +1 drm for rally attempt on the judean disrupted units : Routed or panicked judean Inside the BU could be invaluable.

Indirect fire from behind the breaches is not so successful (Arty will only rally next turn)

I refrained from firing on fort LL61 (would be stupid to kill the panicked regulars now) but I managed to disrupt two more regulars in the gate of the Essenes ! (Lots of roman Arty that you cannot see on the picture and which did not move last MP can bear on that gate by now).

Does not look too good for the Judean in that area !

Testudoes that entered the breach in the western part of the city suffered from heavy judean return fire (there is another regular stacked with the zealot on that scrennshot). One of them is broken (DE result) the other one had one disrupted 7-8 Inside.....but it's much better than if these had been simply HI on the breach. Elsewhere, and since a lot of regulars are disrupted in the forts, judean fire is much less Deadly....By the way, roman incurred their first loss (a 5-8) in the game so far (from that DE result).

Movement and Melee : Here is a screenshot of the whole area after the Judean moved. The fort LL61 is now defended by a lone regular while the panicked regulars had to use the wall and go through the gate to move toward the temple. Notice how the judean is already stretched a little thin Inside the city by now...some of the stacks defending the exterior BU use mix of zealot and militia or regular and militia : The judean need a few good stacks to defend key positions like the gates leading into UC or CD, I delayed activating judean reserve for quite a long time and was able to disrupt quite a lot of his best units as well....So, imagine if JB had tried to hold the Bastions the previous turn and had 7 less regulars to do the job !!

and then, Judean melee did not achieve anything...the broken testudo was still tough enough and did its job of protecting the roman Arty getting ready behind it.

ROMAN HOLDS 3 BU

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jean-christophe coluzzi
Guatemala
flag msg tools
ROMAN TURN 5

Thanks to their leaders, the arty behind the breaches rallied while the Survivor of the broken testudo routed but did not panick.

Judean fire disrupted a few roman archers on the wall and finished off the routed HI on the western breach...but at least they could not reach my arty and fire support that was the important point.

The wall next to O70 was destroyed giving me a nice 3 hexes breach in the west. At last, I was able to fire through the breaches with my artillery and archers: In the west, a shot at 28 (-1drm) got me a DE result and in the center I only got DD on a stack of regulars but this should be enough for Titus : I now have a 100% chance to take a BU in the western part (and this means a mulltiple Attack as well) and 50% chance for titus who will need to roll 4+ in order to enter the BU in front of him...that's good enough odds to send in fresh cohorts for the assault !!

Fire from the wall disrupted a few judean again, the lone regular in LL61 got killed at last and another one was disrupted in fort O70.

MVT: cohorts enter the breaches for the kill, Fort LL61 is at last captured and the gate of Essenes is flanked, another assault is mounted in the eastern part of the city.

here the situation before melee :

around the gate and the eastern lower city

West and center:

Melee : In the western city, my preliminary attacks did not achieve anything (tried to soften up the stacks around my main target that would be attacked again after the breakthrough) then I destroyed the lone regular and entered the BU and launched a second Attack on the adjacent hexes (you do not need to Attack with a whole stack but you can split them to Attack different hexes, this allowed me to reattack both adjacent hexes with units elligible for a multiple Attack) but failed to take any other BU.

Titus rolled a 6 (needed 4) and entered the BU as well but the following multiple Attack fizzled with a roll of 1 !!

In the East, several roll of 1 foiled my plan and the assault was a failure.

YEt, 2 more BU and many regulars in the dead pile Yark Yark...

JUDEAN TURN 5:

Rally phase: regular rout in fort O70 but elsewhere it's pretty ok, the judean can cycle his routed units. He received 10 more reserves (1 zealot, 4 regulars and 5 militia).

Fire: Gate of Essenes wiped out of defenders. Roman artillery fire from behind the breaches is still very heavy and another stack in the BU suffers a DE result. Few disrupted Judean from fire from the wall and bastions. Judean return fire is pretty light since most units he had in the forts are dead or disrupted, and other regulars are now mostly firing on fresh HI in the BU.

Situation at the end of the judean FP:

in the west

and east

Mvt:

JB is forced to abandon fort O70 !! It is going to be flanked next turn and due to fresh HI zoc no units can relieve the disrupted regulars in the westernmost BU....better to reinforce the 2 other forts to prevent a roman attempt against UC.

While in the East, after my failed attempt, Ben Yair himself leads a judean counterattack....the northernmost stack left in the clear is flanked and this could lead to a cascade of multiple Attack gulp

Notice that JB is sensible enough not to send anything but Militia in the clear ground....there are lots of roman archers and fresh HI in the area and a roman counterattack would certainly be very Deadly : he needs to keep his fighting force alive until the end if he wants a chance at denying me the Victory.

Melee: in the west, Lepidus could not be pushed back, as for Titus he is a real toughy....

because even with a roll of 6 he could not be hurt !! (1:1 -3drm)

And in the eastern part, despite being flanked, the Roman Heavy infantry stacked with the Velites could not be overcome (got EE) and the Judean counterattack died cold !!

This means I was now at 5 BU and all the Judean Forts and gates rubbled or in my hands angry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jean-christophe coluzzi
Guatemala
flag msg tools
ROMAN TURN 6

Rally : cannot really remember but Nothing out of the ordinary.

Fire phase : The judean get some nice shots...

While the roman is not very Lucky this time....although of course the roman battery behind the western breach takes its toll with a DD result weakening the defence of the BU (rolled only a 2 this time but still very effective). The XIIth legio opened a new breach around MM59 which will now allow rams and testudoes to get through.

MVT : Well, time to counterattack with the roman cohorts :

Attack on that lone militia might lead to some fancy moves from the IVth cohort if I get enough extra E results (which I should unless I roll 1). The IInd cohort steps into the clear hexes to support Phrygius and provides a welcome +1 drm....this could be risky but for now there aren't many regulars in the area. I'll make a few preliminary attacks before attacking that lone militia....it could be usuful to weaken the judean position before possible cascading multiple attacks.

It is time to add some more pressure against the city of David now that I own all the fortresses in that area and my arty is free to cream the gate at will without activating reserve (as long a you do not fire on 2 elevated hexes in the same turn). So, the ram is also moved over there with ceriallus and two manning HI inside.

Titus and Lepidus get ready for a new push Inside the City

Melee :

In the east, I launch several preliminary attacks starting with Phrygius supported by a full cohort but achieve Nothing due to roll of the dreaded 1. However,one of the unit stacked with Ben Yair is disrupted while the lone 6-8, against all odds, disrupt a regular which leaves a BU defended by a single Zealot and Ben yair stacked with a single Zealot....might be good !

Then the IVth cohort attcks the lone militia....I need all but one and succeed ! That's an EEE result that leads to the situation below :

which leads to that one :

Now I need to roll 5 or 6 to keep going....but fail ! Still this is one more BU and JB is oblidged to disrupt and retreat Ben yair himself if he does not want to leave him alone in the Hex (just imagine a DD result by the roman archers stacked behind next FP !).

In the center, a new BU is also gained with the help of Titus....but the following multiple Attack fail....that's still another BU and some more Judean casalties !

Finally, in the west, the lone regular is overrun while Lepidus fail to push back the disrupted Judean....but that's one more BU as well !

view after the roman melee :

That's eight BU for the roman, although the new lodgement in the eastern part of the city might easily be flanked and destroyed.

BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY, notice how the area around Ben Shimon is filling fast with disrupted units of all kind due to roman fire from the elevated hexes, breaches and disruption from melee ! As I stated from the begining, that part of the city may become a Death trap for the Judean if the Roman can control V63 ! This might prove to be the undoing of the Judean defense especially if he gets a bad rally phase...

Which happened at the begining of...

JUDEAN TURN 6:

Rally : 8 new units activated this turn (Total 28/40). Then Ben Shimon rolls pretty bad ! of course, Ben yair rallies himself.

JC COMMENT : If I were the Judean, I'd use my mvt phase to get these units out of here quickly and replace them with what's available though he is by now stretched a little thin ! END COMMENT

JB COMMENT : I'm not the bestest of Judean player yet...Could not foresee what was in store for me on next roman turn . END COMMENT

fire phase : Fire from the roman wall and breaches is quite innefitient this turn sadly (lots of 1). the ram of the XIIth inflicts 3 damage to the gate....but then the roman artillery firing at the same gate rolls 1 and disrupt one of the crew manning the ram ! and to follow that, the judean rolls a 6 with the few units he has there and I take the tough choice of disrupting Cestius if I want the ram to be useable next roman FP (you need one fresh unit to do that). Rest of judean fire is pretty innefective as well since he has very little non disrupted regulars able to fire.

The Judean reorganizes his defense : fresh units are brought in, Ben yair is sent aginst Titus to try and hold the roman commander in chief. a few disrupted units get out of the central trap though to make room for a few fresh regulars. A cauldron arrives finally Inside the gate leading to the city of David. By the way, JB already shifted some units toward there through the northern gate but you won't see those on the next screenshots....at least I was successful in drawing a few defenders that way....

Here is how it looks just before melee :

in the east,

and the west,

IN the eastern part, JB launched a few preparatatory attacks against the roman before a full assault against the flanked HI in the BU.....but a serie of 1 left the situation completely unchanged !!!!

JB COMMENT: BAD LUCK....BAD LUCK....BAD LUCK....BAD LUCK...END COMMENT

JC COMMENT: yes, but even a success there would not have been so catastrophic (appart for sending some more HI to the dead pile. WHile this front keeps a lot of judean defenders busy it is only secondary for me.....I intend to make the decision someplace else that's why Titus is not here in the first place. END COMMENT

Still, I'm much concerned by all those regulars that will shoot at the IInd cohort left in the clear from the previous assault...That means roman blood will be spilled....Well sometimes you need to take risks.

ELsewhere, the judean rolls lots of 6....But fail !! Roman HI in BU are just extremely tough to dislodge especially the ones stacked with leaders or Titus....you really need to roll 6 for continuous combat followed immediately by another 6 otherwise it just fizzles (even Ben Yair who rolled a 6 failed to take back any BU to Titus)!! so I'm happy with a few disrupted HI. The Judean does not take back one single BU.

That's still 8 for the roman.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jean-christophe coluzzi
Guatemala
flag msg tools
ROMAN TURN 7

Rally: Cestus failed to rally !! as well as the disrupted HI Under the ram. Otherwise, pretty average rally phase with most 7-8 close to leaders rallying easily. No rout or panick yet.

Fire phase: Gee, the judean in the gate drop rocks upon the roman ram helped by a cauldron that just arrived...I have to take a D result and since I want to be able to ram this turn, no choice but to eliminate the already disrupted HI....I'll have to take Cestius out of here quick.
The roman cohort in the clear hexes near Phrugius receives an EE result. Another 6 on roman in BU also result in a DE result...ouch. Elsewhere it is far less bloody, just a very few disrupted archers on the wall.

few screenshots :

the gate,

in the clear, a lone Survivor of a complete roman cohort,

and a good shot against roman in the BU,

Well, that's life...and there are not yet that many roman in the dead pile.

Roman Fire against the gate is vengeful though ! I can muster 48FF against the gate leading to CD which get me an EE result destroying the cauldron (there aren't that many units around able to reach that gate...eliminating a Regular to keep that cauldron alive would seriously weaken the melee defense of that very important gate).
Fire from outside the western breach and from the wall is pretty bad this time with only one disrupted regular. A few roman velites that were part of last turn assault against the easternmost BU were able to disrupt a regular there and weaken the judean front line a little.

the ram inflicted 3 more damege to the gate as well.

Movement : Cestius gets out of the ram and get replaced by a fresh HI. ANother assault is launched on the eastern part of the city.
Titus and Lepidus get ready themselves for the next push...fresh units are cycled in the BU. same on the wall where fresh archrs just replace their disrupted comrades. I send a few more units to pressure the eastern Bastions around CD.

Bird eye view before the roman melee,

Situation at the end of the roman MP,

Let's start with the western part:

A 6 always bring good result ! Lepidus capture a new BU with a nice possible follow up,

And success,

But a roll of 1 stops it here for now...Lepidus captured two new BU.

Now in the easternmost part, things go pretty well again : after a few softening attacks that did achieve Nothing (phrygius failed again) I succeed in making a new roman lodgement and that northernmost roman BU is no longer flanked (Note that when odds are bad, it is much better to multiply small attacks becausse given enough of those you get pretty good odds of Rolling a 6, which is always good for thre roman).

The following multiple Attack failed but the roman position is now much more stronger.

AND THEN THERE WAS TITUS: The following screenshots are a proof that Titus alone is Worth as much as a complete roman legion !!!

It started like this,

Titus and his buddies got the upper hand and entered HEX X63....the trap around Ben Shimon and his half disrupted faction is now sealed...but we can do better than that! NOte that since I did not want to leave Y63 with only one HI facing Ben Yair, I took some risk with Titus himself moving him with only one HI taken from criallus stack...But, Titus is a tough guy and odds are pretty good for a follow up,

which succeeded !

And there was that lone regular north of Titus....It is folly but since I could not abandon X63 to the judean I decided to once again leave a lone HI into X63 and take another HI from Ceriallus to advance further...Ceriallus is single stacked and could get killed next turn, but the opportunity to strike again the disrupted units clogged around Ben Shimon is too good to pass ninja

Beside, that lone HI is sure to prevent Judean reinforcement in that area next turn because it cannot be disrupted during the next judean FP. It can only destroyed after the Judean Movement phase...

So, attacking that lone regular with Titus led to that,

attacking a lone disrupted regular with Titus has a 100% success rate, so here is next caption,

Attacking at 17:1, Titus does not even stop and joins with Lepidus for another round with new buddies,

Those disrupted Zealots are in serious trouble methinks arrrh. Note that since the Hi stacked with Titus do not increse the Odds, I only attck with Titus and Lepi and his buddies to avoid the -1 drm for two different légions.

It works fine,

Titus is still stacked with that lone HI from ceriallus legion. Now I need a 6 to keep going.....but fail !

Here is a bird eye view of the city after Titus rampage,

I now hold 15 BU.....but that's not yet the end of the turn and the judean is bound to take quite a few back.

JUDEAN TURN 7

rally: 12 new units and most of them Zealots or Regs (only 3 mil). However welcome, they cannot be used to reinforce Ben Shimon since they cannot appear adjacent to roman units !!

Fire : 3 more damage to the gate leading into CD (Total 9) and another shot at 48ff against that fort reduced the defenders leaving only one disrupted Zealot there and not yet any reinforcement in CD....not good.

The judean regulars decimated the roman Hi in the clear supporting Phrygius, but at the same time, fire from the roman artillery and archery coming from the wall and outside the western breach further depleted Ben Shimon faction. The lone regular with ben yair could not do anything against the roman HI defending X63, so the road to the central area could not be reopened !!

Movement: Well, Ben Shimon needs to get out of there quick...Taking with him the only valid regular left around he runs east toward Ben yair, but a lone roman HI blocks the way devil. Disrupted units and militia, which might just be a liability, with Titus around, are left behind with the hope of hampering roman movement at least for a while. There are not enough units left in order to threaten Ceriallus in any meaningful way !!

The gate through the City of David is evacuated and a line of defense is prepared to repel any roman entering the city of David...it's a thin line though !!

Melee:

In the Eastern part, judean melee brings no results, and no BU are taken back from the romans.

Ben Yair attacks the lone Hi Preventing movement around X63 and of course he is successful...And since the judean cannot afford to let Hex Y62 with a single regular facing the romans, and since Ben Yair needs to secure X63 at all costs, he has no choice but to move there with a single regular.....very risky ! and at the same time, he can make an Attack against the lone roman leader.

But the Attack failed and Ceriallus was left unscathed. The Judean captured back enough BU to prevent a roman win, but they're holding on a very thin line

Here is the whole area at the end of The Judean Turn,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jean-christophe coluzzi
Guatemala
flag msg tools
TURN 8

After an uneventful rally phase, the roman breached at last the gate into CD and put Cestius on the breach with a full cohort, as a threat but without activating judean reserves.

Phrygius was finally successful and took another BU in the east with help from one last cohort risked in the clear hex next to his position.

Vth Legion poured in the space left by Ben Shimon faction and assaulted Ben Yair without much success...

However, Lepidus and Titus finished the few remaining units left behind after the flight of Ben Shimon and Titus was able to score an EEEE kill against a lone militia.....this enabled him to join again with the Vth legion for a second fight against Ben Yair and Ben Shimon.

Ben Shimon was killed (well, wounded as he will come back next AP) and ben Yair was nearly surrounded...The Judean leader narrowly escaped death, was wounded and retreated alone.

The romans held 23 BU !!!

Ben Yair rallied and launched one last Judean counterattack....with the night giving all judean a +1 drm and after Rolling two 6 in a row, Ben yair killed 3 roman 7-8 and one 5-8 during that last and final assaults (giving the Judean 26 vp in that last turn !!!). He could have pushed his luck and kill some more roman units but he would have been stretched very thin and at risk of being surrounded again in case of a successful roman counterrratack....too risky, so JB refrained. (Let me tell you that I would have gladly extended the AP for two more turn if I had a chance at Killing BY ).

As the Judean melee died, with 22 BU in roman hands for the first time during that AP, Titus decided to call off the assault and the Judean retired....anyway, I had succeeded at all my objectives : Lower city secured, no Judean redoubt left behind my back, and the gate into CD already breached. I could not hope to seize CD orUC with only two turns left, so was happy to cut on roman losses !!

ROMAN VICTORY AFTER 8 TURNS.

a view of the Lower City area at the end,

The roman lost six 7-8, six 6-8, five 5-8 and 3 Velites for a total of 106 VP (26VP lost in the last judean turn !!). Which are added to the 50 Vp for the 5 weeks spent in preparation for a total of 156 Vp for the Judean.

The Judean lost 6 Zealots, 33 Regulars and 34 Militia and one cauldron. Ben Shimon was wounded.

All in all, at the end, and not counting the routed units and the ones that were needed to hold the forts to UC and protect entry into CD, The judean had only 20 regular/zealot fit for battle left in lower city....attrition was once again a huge factor in this game. Even supposing the roman did not have enough BU yet, it would have been impossible for the judean to hold any longer facing 4 nearly complete légions. Defending with militia is not an option.

See you soon for a few comments by both players.

BYE, JC
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn vR
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great read! Please continue, I'm hooked.
I'm really wondering where you will go next. I read CoD, but I really think that's one big death trap. There is hardly space to enter the city, with all BU's directly behind the walls. The first AP is 'easier' (like in your AAR against the LC, because the number of units is quite low at that point (with 92 units in reserve)). But now you are facing all survivors (there are quite some left), plus 85% replacement (incl from the 40 reserves of the LC) and 35 additional units of the CoD. Very tough. The Judean will have to guard the UC walls, but that's it.

As a Roman, be sure to break the bridge (and more difficult): block the wall to the Tyropean City. That will block reinforcements moving quickly from CoD to UC and vice versa. If CoD doesn't work out, you can also switch to UC (which by no means will be easy as well).
And after that? You'll have 25% and need 20% more. Taking the UC and HP could be done to get you there.. I think that's the only way. Or the Temple of course, but that's a real hard one. If you could postpone that to AP4, the number of units facing you will be much less..

Anyway, good luck and keep us informed!!

Best
Martijn

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn vR
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pveenstra wrote:
Hi JC,
Man, I remember again how I liked this game. I´ve played this for years (see my AAR´s) Had so much fun. Into ASL these days, so it´s not likely I wll return to this game soon, but, chatting away on this, I wish I had more time at hand, then I would start a game again..

Still waiting here for you, Peter

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.