Subject: Cheapest Deck? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew D
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb

Is there any cheap way of getting a Tichu deck? Surely over in China they don't cost $11.95 (or have I fallen for an advertising gimic? Do they even play this in China?)!

I obviously don't need English rules. At funagain.com they have a Russian version for only $8.95. Is there any difference in the cards? Is there an actual Chinese version that is cheap? I'm not particularly excited about using a Sharpie on top of "Bicycle's Guaranteed Satisfaction Policy" card and a couple of jokers to make special cards.

Perhaps if they didn't make the American Tichu deck out of the cheapest cardstock possible, I wouldn't have to worry about this!

Thanks guys!

Andrew

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm seriuosly considering converting to standard playing cards, if only so that I don't have to throw in a Tichu deck with every game order to have a decent deck to use. But no, there's no magic place to get super cheap decks. The standard online retailers are, of course, typically the cheapest source, at around $8 typically:
http://boardgameprices.com/game.aspx?id=100183

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew D
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb

Argh! I find myself resisting using normal playing cards. I just hate the idea of my stupid handwriting being on cards I'm trying to play with!

Anybody else have any arcane knowledge of where to get cheap decks at?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
To answer your question about China:

They play a game similar to this in China, but the games are not identical. Tichu is to that game as Cosmic Eidex is to Jass, they are closely related games, but still different enough to warrant the design credit to Herr Hostettler.

The game in question goes by the name Big Two and many other titles. I believe the differences involve the special cards, the scoring, and the bidding (Tichu calls) but I am no expert on this.

If you want the branded Tichu decks you're just going to have to pony the 10$

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Tauntthemoose wrote:

Is there any cheap way of getting a Tichu deck?

I'm not particularly excited about using a Sharpie on top of "Bicycle's Guaranteed Satisfaction Policy" card and a couple of jokers to make special cards.

These two sentences are in direct contradiction with each other. In fact our emergency backup Tichu deck was much as your second sentence describes. Ingredients: One deck of normal playing cards plus one texta. Results one Tichu deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew D
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
Certainly this sentence wasn't a contradiction--just, apparently, wishful thinking...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
There is no 'Chinese' version - it's a German game, based in part on traditional Chinese climbing games, and using stylized Chinese-themed suits. That's the extent of the 'Chinese'.

In fact, I'm surprised there's a Russian version. I knew about the German version, and there's a specifically-different Bavarian version, and there's the Dutch version ("Tai-Pan") - that's all I know about.

I've got no concerns about the cardstock of the Rio Grande edition... I've played my deck plenty and it's still holding up well. It's a good quality linen-finish deck, like that of Mu or Bohnanza (well, the Mu and Bohnanza sets I have). Way better cardstock than, say, most CCGs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thatmarkguy wrote:
I've got no concerns about the cardstock of the Rio Grande edition... I've played my deck plenty and it's still holding up well. It's a good quality linen-finish deck, like that of Mu or Bohnanza (well, the Mu and Bohnanza sets I have). Way better cardstock than, say, most CCGs.

Clearly there are different degrees of playing Tichu. We go through about a deck a month or two. And bo "go through" I mean the cards are near disintigration.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew D
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
We have played maybe 15 times by now and the cards are simply disgusting. I almost want to demand that people wash their hands before playing, but then I remember that I want to keep my friends...

It's just frustrating when people pull out their "Rook" card game from 1985 and the cards are thick, totally durable, and with the exception of some yellowing, in fine condition.

Why do modern card games need to be printed on the cheapest of card stocks!?! Argh!!!!

Anger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.