Subject: Thematic Review: DungeonQuest Revised Edition rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sphere
United States
Mill Valley
California
flag msg tools
Where there is darkness, let me sow light.
mbmbmbmbmb
Our family has loved this game, and when I demo it at our local game store, we get a big crowd.

What DungeonQuest Revised Edition gets right is holding the tension between expectation of instant death and expectation of an instant big win. As the game progresses, we see other players escape death by a hair. We see the most careful player eliminated on a single roll, and meanwhile the newbie player just fell into the catacombs and came out with a gigantic diamond and no scratches!Is she going to survive the eleven spaces back to the entrance, and will she get a secret door card, or will she sit there with her giant treasure as the sun sets, dooming all remaining players?

The drama is real in this game, and there's something more, it reflects the inherent unfairness in life. You could do all the "right" moves in this game, and still end up dying miserably.

This game is a crap-shoot. Gamers who can't stand chance in a game should leave this one alone. But if you are up for a roly coaster ride of a game, this one's a real thrill.

Family rating: 10
Strategy rating: -100
Fun rating: large
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Li
msg tools
mbmb
This game is played for hilarity and the story it tells. No need for flavor text. Just tell others what happened in the game as is, and you got more story than any flavor text could deliver.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil J.
United States
Castle Rock
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alafter wrote:
This game is played for hilarity and the story it tells. No need for flavor text. Just tell others what happened in the game as is, and you got more story than any flavor text could deliver.

This.

I like to keep track of my plays of DQ on a sheet of paper. I jokingly call it my obituary list. Good times. Great memories!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.