Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Dawson
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So with Cosmic Eons announced, I'm finally giving up on the production box and looking into other storage options. With everything sleeved, I couldn't put everything in the box after the last expansion so I don't think there's really any hope anymore! I'm thinking about getting some fresh sleeves as well, at least for the base deck which sees the most use.

What does everyone use now and what are your storage plans going forward?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never found a suitable storage solution either, and am eagerly awaiting suggestions as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Petersen
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
What are those!
badge
このていどだな、ね?
mbmbmbmbmb
I am looking into the cost to build a custom box, I need to figure out the best size to do this, so I only have to build it once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
*Most* of the time, you don't need to play with all the aliens, so leave some in another box. Frex, if you go to public gaming groups, bring only the green aliens, and/or store aliens you've already played in another box. If you're playing a six-player game where everyone's playing Xerox (copy your opponent's power) - The Alliance (each planet has its own power) - Pentaform (five powers rotating) - Reincarnator, with Moon Power (draw a power for each moon in play; if a moon is colonized, the colonizing player may use this power), you're on your own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
Sam and Max wrote:
*Most* of the time, you don't need to play with all the aliens, so leave some in another box.

That's what I do. The main Cosmic box contains as much of the game as will fit, and it's basically the "best 90%" or so of everything. The remaining 10% or whatever goes into expansion set box(es) as overflow. Usually I don't bother with the overflow boxes because nobody's clamoring to play with the bottom 10%.

As new expansion sets come out and/or I homebrew new stuff, my main box gets better and better: newer, more interesting things push older, weaker things out to the overflow. You can also use this trick to rotate things in and out depending on what you're tired of or haven't seen in a while.

Question the mindset that you have to have everything in one box. Challenge the notion that all game components are equally deserving of riding in the front seat. Start thinking of your Cosmic components as a game customization toolbox. Reconfigure whenever you feel like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Light
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought the Broken Token kit, it helps quite a bit. Although I don't know what I will do with the new expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dawson
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Question the mindset that you have to have everything in one box. Challenge the notion that all game components are equally deserving of riding in the front seat. Start thinking of your Cosmic components as a game customization toolbox. Reconfigure whenever you feel like it.

I agree with that completely. My impulse to get everything organized comes from a lack of storage space on my shelf. If there's a way to consolidate two or three boxes down to one slightly larger custom box, my brain wants to go that route.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Tinney
Australia
Whyalla Jenkins
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My box currently fits everything in from the base game and all released expansions... but only just.

I'm probably going to take this opportunity to move the aliens into a small file box or the like with alphabetised tabs for easier setup and tear down. That frees the main box for a more elegant solution than the current "baggies for everything but the cards" to store everything else.

I'm not adverse to needing two boxes to play at all, in fact I like having the aliens in a separate box (I currently have them inside the main box in an old Carcassonne expansion box) because it means they can be easily passed around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Stahler Jr.
United States
Wheelock
Vermont
flag msg tools
Check out Truesight and other award-winning fiction at davidstahlerjr.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
I always sleeved my alien race sheets, but you can't get the Thai sleeves anymore, and after this new expansion, I'll have about 60 unsleeved aliens. (I refuse to trim my sheets to fit smaller sleeves).

Anyway, I just bought a 100 page package of UltraPro platinum series two-pocket sheets that hold 5"x7" cards. That's good for 200 aliens. I'm going to use them to store all the alien sheets alphabetically in a nice 3-ring binder and use the box to store all the other components.

I may keep 10 spare alien sleeves on hand in the box, so when players take them from the binder they can quickly sleeve them for the duration of the game. (How anal is that?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Glyn
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can anyone tell me the size of the new hidden alliance dials? Are they roughly the same size as a planet? Also, how thick are they?

I'm hoping someone has play tested it and can give me an idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
As bit smaller than a planet, and a little more than twice as thick. Two layers of punchboard plus the plastic connector.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Looks like they will be roughly 1.75" tall and not quite that wide. Nice and compact.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony L.
United States
San Atonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have this insert and it works quite wonderfully http://www.daedalusproductionsinc.com/product/quick-start-in.... Fits everything out for the game now quite snugly, and has plenty of room to sleeve the cards, though the alien tray just barely fits all of those so you wouldn't be able to sleeve those as well. There's room for other cards and tokens that will be in the new expansion, but I'm not so sure it will fit the new aliens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Vreeland
United States
McLean
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Speaking of dials, does anyone know how many there will be? Since base Cosmic supports 5 players, and it's expandable to 7 before teams are "recommended" I would hope at least 5 dials. Though I suspect it would be either 3, 4, or 6 assuming either just the base game, the base game plus one expansion, or super generous and enough to cover all expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Glyn
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cosmic is expandable to 8 with Incursion, Storm, and Alliance. There are 6 included, which covers all expansions, because the two main players will not need dials.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Vreeland
United States
McLean
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have Cosmic Alliances so I thought at 8 you had to play teams which is why I thought it would be super generous to include a full 6. Glad to hear they're accounting for all of the expansions though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You could play 20 without teams if you had the components for it. I wouldn't recommend it, but there's no mechanical reason you couldn't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.