Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So ya lol, a bit outside my wheelhouse so is that a thing?

These are buddies who love risk but are ready for a small next step. I thinking sticking in the dudes on a map genre would be best. I would prefer something a little less luck lol since I will be teaching lol, but either way.

Co-op is not a must, but it would be cool if possible.

Thanks for the help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Iver Wilhelmsen
Norway
Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two alternatives would be the game known under a few names up through the years but these days known as Ikusa; or one/both of Kemet and Cyclades.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gibbs
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Axis and Allies and/or Fortress America?

Dunno if either still readily available, but both are pretty good "next steps" from Risk. Still dudes on a map, but more interesting and complex choices, more strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rodriguez
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
It's an icon
mbmbmbmbmb
so my first thought when you say co-op is Darkest Night (Second edition), but i don't know if that counts as "dudes on a map"

second thought is Pandemic Legacy: Season 1 because at it's heart, I think it's really a war game. Your units are trying to stop an advancing enemy. It easily could have been re-themed as as special ops teams vs terrorist cells. But once again, not really "dudes on a map" since there are limited units.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's co-op you are looking for, it would be worth taking a look at Defenders of the Realm. It has dudes on a map and is cooperative...it's just that the dudes are mostly your enemies

That said, there is luck of the roll with dice and to some degree luck of the draw with cards as well...but no more than Risk gives
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rodriguez
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
It's an icon
mbmbmbmbmb
more games to consider:

Wizard Kings -fantasy theme
Viktory II -too similar to risk?
A Brief History of the World -ios app version available
Hordes of the Things
Friedrich - limited to 3-4
+ Axis & Allies - really, the next step up from Risk
Nexus Ops - not sure this is a step up
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Co-op "dudes on a map" makes for a really tough combo, assuming by "dudes on a map" you mean a traditional conquest type game. The only one I can think of would be Scythe, playing against Automa NPCs. (However, Scythe IS pretty awesome).

If you want to be more generic and go away from a typical world-conquest, Galaxy Defenders or Fireteam Zero might be good choices; co-ops pitting a small group of heroes against system controlled hordes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Harpring
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
+1 to Kemet. It's a good next step that introduces economy and upgrade trees to the dudes on a map formula, though the removal of dice from the combat might be a turnoff.

Forbidden Stars is my favorite dudes on a map game, but would likely bump up to or go past the three hour mark if you're playing 3-4 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Smith

UK
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For a different angle on the request Small World is an awesome move from Risk.
+1 for a dudes on map co op Defenders of the Realm.
And for total weird fun try Conquest of Planet Earth: The Space Alien Game. Have fun deciding , lots of great games already listed above to melt your wallet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David SL
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've just today ordered Kemet. Have a look at the Shut Up & Sit Down and Dice Tower reviews, if they don't sell you on it then I don't know what will. Me and my friends are fairly experienced gamers now, but we don't really have any 'dudes on a map' games and Kemet seems to be one that is perfect for gamers of any experience. It's got plenty of depth for experienced players, but is simple enough for new players to grasp. Just like any great board game should aspire to!

As someone who has always wanted to play Risk but felt that I needed something a bit more 'meaty' for myself and my group, I would highly recommend you look at this one. It really seems like the obvious answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well if you dont mind 2 vs 2

Dungeons & Dragons: Conquest of Nerath Board Game is very like Risk but better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Matthews
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandemic is the game you want for this. Period.

Coop
Under 90 minutes
a world map board that looks similar to Risk (don't underestimate the power of familiarity especially with "new to the hobby" people)
Easy to learn, and more importantly it is easy to teach

The new Cthulhu version of pandemic may actually be an even better choice if that theme appeals to your group as it looks a little more "dudes on a map" style.

If this is thier first time with non mass market games then you want a solid simple choice that is easy to teach. Whatever game you choose, learn it before you teach it. Nothing kills excitement faster than someone reading a rulebook for a first time play; and if these guys still play only Risk these days then they will not be used to going over new game rules.
E
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Marowske
United States
Macomb
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
riddlen wrote:

These are buddies who love risk but are ready for a small next step. I thinking sticking in the dudes on a map genre would be best. I would prefer something a little less luck lol since I will be teaching lol, but either way.

Thanks for the help!

Level 7 [Invasion] is what you are looking for. Dudes on the map, with everyone cooperatively fighting off an alien invasion.

Alternatively, you could try the coop version of Conquest of Planet Earth: The Space Alien Game where everyone is playing aliens invading the USA.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a single recommendation for Blood Rage? I find that far superior to Kemet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
garry_rice wrote:
If it's co-op you are looking for, it would be worth taking a look at Defenders of the Realm. It has dudes on a map and is cooperative...it's just that the dudes are mostly your enemies

That said, there is luck of the roll with dice and to some degree luck of the draw with cards as well...but no more than Risk gives

That was the first thing that came to my mind, too, though it's a little tough to find at this point. Also consider that most of the "dudes" are the enemies you're fighting, and not your army. And many of the graphic and typographic design choices are, shall we say, garish.

Mechanically, it's very similar to Pandemic in a lot of ways, so that one's worth a look too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Bretsch
United States
University City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
riddlen wrote:

Thanks for the help!

This is your lucky day Matt. It is a new release and sits on a shelf right now at your nearest Target and is turing out to be a phenomenal game with very enthusiastic reviews.

It is called:

Risk Europe

And it is not the Risk game you are used to...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J H
United States
Chesterfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gears of War: The Board Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't mind non co-op, Nexus Ops is pretty awesome. (Or did FFG ruin it in their version? I just have played the older Avalon Hill one).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Drog
United States
Ponte Vedra Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quartermaster General!!!!!!!!!!!

Its coop in that there are two teams Axis & Allies. Best 6 player game out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jaquette
United States
Huntington Beach
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1775: Rebellion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
Cthulhu Wars

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Lokemoen
msg tools
Ganybyte wrote:

Absolutely not. Pandemic will not even kind of scratch the wargame itch, isn't anything like Risk, and honestly isn't a game worth playing more than once or twice.

Blood Rage is more of a card-drafting game than a wargame. I haven't played it enough to be sure, but I suspect the balance is really awful, and experienced players will win by lucky card draws prior to the draft.

Kemet is a little dumb, but it's good fun and rewards good play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zee Deveel
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cry Havoc
Blood Rage
Forbidden Stars

I guess one of these is what you're after?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wow! Thanks everyone, I have some research to do. I will begin reading.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
YourHighnessness wrote:
Ganybyte wrote:

Absolutely not. Pandemic will not even kind of scratch the wargame itch, isn't anything like Risk, and honestly isn't a game worth playing more than once or twice.

I think you're both to certain. It might be what the OP wants, it's not much like Risk but it does have stuff on a map and is co-op. Plenty of people disagree with whether it's worth playing more than once or twice, and I guess there are a large number of people who like both Risk & Pandemic as both are very popular games. I've played
Pandemic over 20 times and I'm not sick of it yet.

Some comments on other games suggested that I know something about, none of these are co-op:

Small World 2-5p feels nothing like Risk to me either but also might work.

Risk Europe 2-4p does look a great next step from Risk (based on reading one review).

Nexus Ops is often recommend as a next step after Risk and looked like a good choice when I read some reviews.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.