Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
gary rembo
United Kingdom
brighton
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a silly question and has been the cause of much annoyance in our firestorm armada games.
My friend to get the most out of his frigates always announces at the end of their movement that the fore and port or starvoard guns are pointing at a single target leading to much measuring and downtime.
Is this legal?. If he points the diagonal straight at the enemy ships stand he can fire both arcs at one target?.

Also just to clarify frigates have a turn number of zero so they use the movement template although they can turn every turn they are directional unlike fighters and bombers?.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Groll
Germany
Marburg
Hessen
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Gary,
Page 56 of the rulebook states:
"If the target's Flight Peg is within the Arc of Fire the attack may be made."

As the flight peg itself is an abstraction for the physical location of a relatively small spaceship in the vast expanse of space, I think it should be treated as a point. And as such it cannot be within two adjacent firing arcs.
Sure, a player could align his ship's base so that the firing arc separation line points exactly at the target's flight peg and as the plastic rod is not just a point but has a certain thickness, it could be argued that it is within both arcs. But honestly, that is bad sportsmanship in my opinion.

If the flight peg is exactly on the line between arcs, he should choose which arc to use for his attack.

This is of course different when you attack a capital ship with more than one flight peg. In that case it is very much possible to have one peg in one arc and the other peg in another arc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary rembo
United Kingdom
brighton
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes that's what I thought.Thats cool.
Should speed up our games instead of analiticly positioning his every move to go for the double attack. Am loving this game so much.
THX for the help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Alton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
Paper 'Mech - winner 'Best Overall Design' in the 2016 1-page PNP Contest
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, you can't fire at a single target with weapons from two different arcs.
Nothing stopping you firing at two different targets though

You are correct with a turn limit of 0 - you still need to use the template, it's just that you don't need to move forward 1" after each 45 degree turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.