GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,272 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
23 Posts

The Oracle of Delphi» Forums » General

Subject: Colorblind Friendly? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know many of the colors have symbols associated with that, and thats GREAT! Some games dont do this. And whether they were added for the theme or for the colorblind in mind, its a great addition.

Still, the cubes are just cubes, And when there is a lot on a board it can become a bit of a muddy mess for me (Scoville is my latest offender). So, my question is, are the colors different enough for most colorblind types? In the rules posted, the images look bold and different enough. But I'm wondering about the game itself and if its been factored in.

Though not a big deal to some, this has caused me to pass up on games in the past soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Braffe wrote:
I know many of the colors have symbols associated with that, and thats GREAT! Some games dont do this. And whether they were added for the theme or for the colorblind in mind, its a great addition.

Still, the cubes are just cubes, And when there is a lot on a board it can become a bit of a muddy mess for me (Scoville is my latest offender). So, my question is, are the colors different enough for most colorblind types? In the rules posted, the images look bold and different enough. But I'm wondering about the game itself and if its been factored in.

Though not a big deal to some, this has caused me to pass up on games in the past soblue

I'm also disappointed at the use of generic cubes, especially when red and green are involved. Most would gladly pay for upgraded resources.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Bruhn
Germany
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
Braffe wrote:

I'm also disappointed at the use of generic cubes, especially when red and green are involved. Most would gladly pay for upgraded resources.
The cubes represent boxes with offerings
We really considered to use other shapes, but to recognize the shapes, they would have been too big to put them all on the fields. Besides this the price would have been enormous then.

Concerning the colors: Yes, we put a great effort into making this game playable for colorblind players. The red and green should not be a problem because we use a lighter green especially because of this. We also replaced the originally planned orange color by the pink one, when a colorblind player told me that he could not distinguish the orange color from the green one.
At least he has no issues with the colors now any more, and additional to that we use the symbols at almost all places where it is possible.

So I really hope that we manage to make the game playable to most of the colorblind players!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sorry I called the cubes just cubes, I meant offerings i swear!

Thanks for the reply. And that answer sounds good to me. Seeing that there was effort put in to consider the colors is good news to me. Seems like many game makers don't even give it any thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralf Arnemann
Germany
Darmstadt
flag msg tools
barandur wrote:
We also replaced the originally planned orange color by the pink one, when a colorblind player told me that he could not distinguish the orange color from the green one.

That was very considerate.
But IMHO it made matters worse: Red and Pink are so similar that even people without any colour-blindness-issues can barely distinguish them. It's especially hard on the land tiles where there is no symbol, but only a coloured border.

Sure, it's difficult to find six colours different enough, but I hope for the next edition you find a better combination.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Bruhn
Germany
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Ralf Arnemann wrote:
barandur wrote:
We also replaced the originally planned orange color by the pink one, when a colorblind player told me that he could not distinguish the orange color from the green one.

But IMHO it made matters worse: Red and Pink are so similar that even people without any colour-blindness-issues can barely distinguish them. It's especially hard on the land tiles where there is no symbol, but only a coloured border.

Sure, it's difficult to find six colours different enough, but I hope for the next edition you find a better combination.
We'll keep the colors, but we use a lighter Pink on the Board. Additionally to this we added some tiny symbols in the corners of the pink Island tiles.
I'm afraid we can't change the die colors, as the manufacturer has no other colors to offer, but here the symbol should help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralf Arnemann
Germany
Darmstadt
flag msg tools
barandur wrote:
We'll keep the colors, but we use a lighter Pink on the Board. Additionally to this we added some tiny symbols in the corners of the pink Island tiles.

Thanks for the answer. I am not sure if the "lighter" will help, but the symbols should.

Quote:
I'm afraid we can't change the die colors, as the manufacturer has no other colors to offer, but here the symbol should help.

Bad luck. Of course you could not change the manufacturer because of such a detail.

But I wonder if there couldn't be found a general solution, as this is not a problem of this special game, but for ALL games using components of this kind. Which means a very big share of the whole market. Many game designers/publishers use colours for different players or other game purposes. Being able to distinguish is not only important for colour-blind (who often are more experienced and capable to use shadings ...), but for many players with bad eye-sight (we're getting older) and in bad light conditions.

As a manufacturer I would be interested to offer a choice of colours having as much "colour-distance" as possible - as all customers are interested in that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well'p, I finally got the game!

I didn't have much trouble with the color of the blocks at all, which was my biggest worry. But, as mentioned above, the red/pink island tiles were a bit troublesome, but I could usually find a water tile nearby to compare to. (I never noticed tiny symbols on the pink island tiles, I'll have to look again...unless this was a change in future editions yet to come out?)

The biggest culprit was the red/pink sides to the Dice. They are extremely close in color, many times I assumed the pink was red. It's annoying, but since the dice are basically a color symbol, I just have to make sure, when it's red/pink, I look at the symbol first before color.

Still, it's easily playable (for me) with colorblind issues. So I'm happy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaime D.
Spain
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
barandur wrote:
Ralf Arnemann wrote:
barandur wrote:

Red-Pink is a no go. I'm not color blind at all and it was really hard for me mainly when there was a succession of Blue Sea tiles with pink-red-pink or vice versa. Same applies for the color of the islands. So subtle that may need to be marked somehow to avoid the loss of movements.

Please consider other combinations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Drake
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
barandur wrote:
[ Additionally to this we added some tiny symbols in the corners of the pink Island tiles.

Was this included in all editions? Because I'm looking at my TMG edition... and I don't notice any difference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Bruhn
Germany
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
BaBang wrote:
barandur wrote:
[ Additionally to this we added some tiny symbols in the corners of the pink Island tiles.

Was this included in all editions? Because I'm looking at my TMG edition... and I don't notice any difference.
As I wrote: We changed that in the 2nd edition. The TMG version is completely 1st edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Drake
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
barandur wrote:
BaBang wrote:
barandur wrote:

As I wrote: We changed that in the 2nd edition. The TMG version is completely 1st edition.

Any possibility of reprinting those tiles and offering them on the BGG store or via retail?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Bruhn
Germany
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
BaBang wrote:
barandur wrote:
BaBang wrote:
barandur wrote:

Any possibility of reprinting those tiles and offering them on the BGG store or via retail?
I'm afraid that this would be a rather expensive solution ...
Maybe here is something I saw once which could help: The owner connected the outer and the inner corners of the hexagon outlines with very thin black lines. This looked like printed and was very helpful.
I think it will do to connect every 2nd pair of corners.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
icarusmustburn wrote:
Also, why are some of the boards printed with a color outline on the sea and some with colored Symbols only on the opposite side of the same board? Mistake or poor choice? A better idea would have been to always print the hex outline and to always print the Symbols in color.

From what I've seen this was done deliberately, so that you'd have a choice of a cleaner looking map. Not sure why you say 'some' as all of the boards are double sided. Maybe keeping the symbol colorized too on the side with the hexes would have been just as good. I'm planning to use the hex-free side for a change, but I fear the boats will cover the symbols making moving on/near other ships a hassle. (But I think the board will look nicer!)

As for the color issues, pink and red is annoying. Even non-colorblind people I play with are constantly double checking/fixing issues all around; which god to raise; which die to use. The islands are the worst culprit. When we see a red/pink island we just look for the nearest tile of the opposite color to tell which is which. Also with islands, the face of them is a bit hard to tell apart between red/green islands (maybe this is just me).

Still, for me, nothing is bad enough that it makes the game unplayable. With some double checking and opinions of other players we get through it with no trouble, but it could be better. I'll likely mark some things up to tell the difference easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Crawford
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My groups had a lot of trouble with the pink-red difference as well, especially on island tiles, so I'm glad to hear that it's getting updated in the reprint! I played someone else's set last weekend where the person had actually hand-painted all the red elements in the game (except the dice) to be a much darker burgundy-type red. It helped a lot and looked nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dani_Jari
Spain
Málaga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
barandur wrote:
BaBang wrote:
barandur wrote:

Have you already released the 2nd edition??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Bruhn
Germany
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
DaCaRo wrote:
barandur wrote:
BaBang wrote:
barandur wrote:

The Spanish edition already has the improved pink color (it was printed together with the 2nd German edition, as well as the Dutch and the Italian edition)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Crawford
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
barandur wrote:
DaCaRo wrote:
barandur wrote:
BaBang wrote:
barandur wrote:

The Spanish edition already has the improved pink color (it was printed together with the 2nd German edition, as well as the Dutch and the Italian edition)

When will American / English second edition be available?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dani_Jari
Spain
Málaga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
barandur wrote:
DaCaRo wrote:
barandur wrote:
BaBang wrote:
barandur wrote:

Thank you... but I'm talking about Hall Games - Pegasus Spiele english/german edition...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Bruhn
Germany
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
DaCaRo wrote:
barandur wrote:
DaCaRo wrote:
barandur wrote:
BaBang wrote:
barandur wrote:

Thank you... but I'm talking about Hall Games - Pegasus Spiele english/german edition...
Sorry, I was mislead by your nationality flag ...
The 2nd German/English edition is released since January.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Bruhn
Germany
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
GendoIkari_82 wrote:

When will American / English second edition be available?
The 2nd edition is not ordered by now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monte Jones
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the typical red/green colorblind issue. The cubes are not an issue. The only issue I run into are the colors of the islands where you have to flip a tile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dani_Jari
Spain
Málaga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
barandur wrote:
DaCaRo wrote:
barandur wrote:
DaCaRo wrote:
barandur wrote:
BaBang wrote:
barandur wrote:

Sorry, I was mislead by your nationality flag ...
The 2nd German/English edition is released since January.

I just got this 2nd edition!
Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.