Subject: Preview of The Mountains Rise rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FFG has a new preview of the Mountains Rise.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/8/22/into-th...

I like Nanok the Blade. 3 Might, 0 Mind, and 2 Spirit is a new combination, which should be fun. Assault is nice ability, I like that blocks now become two sided, offense or defense. Shatter will be stronger with the E deck, but it combos well with Assault.

The E deck seems interesting from this limited view.

I like the new Spirit skills. Aria of War will be great for any of the spirit focused heroes.

Some of the new Orange adventure cards seems like a big challenges.

Overall I am excited for this. A new different type of hero. An asset set that promotes the new Charge symbol. Interesting new basic adventure cards.

This will be a buy for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Doesn't Assault encourage Nanok to buy armour?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JD Snider
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
Doesn't Assault encourage Nanok to buy armour? :what:

Yeah. I feel like they forgot to include a limitation preventing him from wearing armour. I'll probably just house rule that he can only wear gloves/bracers or a helmet.

Edit: Though of course, the ability encourages him not to use any armour for defense...which is quasi consistent with his description....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So he has armour... he just makes a point of not wearing it...?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JD Snider
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:

He uses it to beat people over the head?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
quazai wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:

That... actually totally makes sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett
United States
Presque Isle
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
quazai wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:

That... actually totally makes sense.

That's pure rarified logic there, that is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
Shield symbols don't only represent armour, they cover all manner of defenses. Could be using a weapon to block (some weapons have shields) or dodging.

There's nothing to say he can't or shouldn't wear armour, his ability just means that if he does then he's able to use it offensively. For example, even if he is wearing heavy armour he can utilise its weight against the enemy and deal damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orion3T wrote:

There's nothing to say he can't or shouldn't wear armour,

Except for his backstory, which says he doesn't wear armour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
Orion3T wrote:

Backstory is just that. Backstory. People change. He might change his mind.

I'm pretty sure second page of his character card will either forbid him from using armor or disable Assault when wearing one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
Orion3T wrote:

That's just flavour text, which has no bearing on the rules and people are free to ignore. I guess some players might take it more seriously and RP him to some extent, in which case they are free to not wear armour.

What I meant was that in terms of rules there's nothing to suggest he should be limited in this way, so the character will have been designed and tested without such limitations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
Areinu wrote:
I'm pretty sure second page of his character card will either forbid him from using armor or disable Assault when wearing one.

It doesn't. You can see it by clicking the image of the back of his card in the article.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orion3T wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:
Orion3T wrote:

That's just flavour text, which has no bearing on the rules and people are free to ignore. I guess some players might take it more seriously and RP him to some extent, in which case they are free to not wear armour.

What I meant was that in terms of rules there's nothing to suggest he should be limited in this way, so the character will have been designed and tested without such limitations.

I understand that. I'm not saying that the flavour text should carry any rules weight at all. What I'm saying is that they go to lengths to talk about how, thematically, Nanok shuns armour, but then give him a special ability that makes armour arguably more desirable for him to buy than any other hero.

It's just quite a strong thematic incongruity is all, in a supposedly thematic game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
I'm not saying that the flavour text should carry any rules weight at all. What I'm saying is that they go to lengths to talk about how, thematically, Nanok shuns armour, but then give him a special ability that makes armour arguably more desirable for him to buy than any other hero.

It's just quite a strong thematic incongruity is all, in a supposedly thematic game.

Yeah I see what you're saying, my main point was that armour isn't the only source of shield tokens; they come on weapons etc as well. In fact there are no 'armour' assets, they are all just 'Clothing' which includes bracers etc which his description mentions as well. I doubt the designers were too worries about this.

I think the ability makes perfect sense as written; hes able to turn defense into attack. But you're right that players might be inclined to optimise him in a way which doesn't seem to fit with his description.

I guess the general idea is that he shuns defense, rather than armour specifically. Maybe whoever wrote the description just got a bit carried away?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan A.Y.
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mb
pfft. Just play Nanok and refuse to buy armor, or sharpie the card.

He has enough innate defenses anyway just like his version in descent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.