GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

9,283 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Chaosmos» Forums » General

Subject: Temporal Displacer optional rule rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joey V

Los Angeles
California
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Designer Joey here.

I am thinking of releasing a modified Temporal Displacer in the expansion and players can use either one (or both!). The basic goal is to allow players to trigger it when it isn't their turn, if it would end the game. It prevents frustrated players without the Ovoid from suiciding the universe, and it speeds up end game and reduces final turn advantage in some groups.

Play at any time within the last two rounds of the game:
If you have both this card and the Ovoid on any player's turn then reveal them to win the game.

What do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Honeycutt
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd do it. This solves a bunch of lingering problems anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Mckay
United Kingdom
Westerham
Kent
flag msg tools
Good, bad... I'm the guy with the gun.
mbmb
Do you not think it has the potential to ruin games early on? Also, it's a bit anticlimactic for a game that has been known to create tense and powerful standoffs? Better to give at least a bit of wiggle room with it; move the chaos clock to 5 turns before destruction, maybe?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn
Germany
Herne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How would it potentially ruin a game early on when you could only use it within the last two rounds?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Wilmer
United Kingdom
Brandon
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played enough to consider all the ways this impacts the game. I've also not had anyone suicide the universe. They must be pretty sure that they can't win and seems a bit spiteful to prevent anyone else to do so. They should probably be forced to play Vlachos in the next game just to legitimise preventing anyone having the ovid.

As an alternative to the temporal displacer it seems to solve the frustration of losing the ovid in the 11th hour after all the effort to gain it, but it also removes other players ability to respond to those final plays - making the game potentially less enjoyable for them.

There certainly needs to be that 'ace in the hole' feeling that the temporal displacer gives and I see no reason not to have another variant of it that does a similar thing.

Perhaps if using both displacers there could be some paradox plays where the alternative displacer cancels out the other if revealed in response.

Temporal paradox displacer:
Play at any time within the last two rounds of the game provided the Temporal displacer has not been played:
If you have both this card and the Ovoid on any player's turn then reveal them to win the game.
Alternatively play and discard this card at any time in response to the temporal displacer to cancel its effect. Return temporal displacer to original players hand where it cannot be used again for two turns by any player.

The only thing with immediate action effects outside of normal play is that the tight cause and effect of playing cards and responding to them during a turn gets another level of complexity. This could have timing issues if lots more cards do this sort of thing. I quite like the clear way turns play out at present.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny V
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It might be simpler to have the alternate Displacer work when the Chaos Clock is at 9 or less regardless of player count. This would tie into the "red zone" displayed on the Clock face.

Also the way it's written could be confusing for those playing as Vlachlos, since normally they don't have the Ovoid in hand to win.

I don't mind people suiciding the universe, I like the tension that possibility creates. However I like this new Displacer card because it would prevent people from moving the Clock solely to give themselves the final turn, which is pretty anti-climatic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey V

Los Angeles
California
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't mind people threatening to suicide the universe but in the expansion there's a lot more stuff and I don't want an epic game being threatened by a new player who might feel left out. The new Displacer rule would still encourage them to find the Ovoid (or at least make tentative alliances with others).
Kolvir wrote:
It might be simpler to have the alternate Displacer work when the Chaos Clock is at 9 or less regardless of player count. This would tie into the "red zone" displayed on the Clock face.

Also the way it's written could be confusing for those playing as Vlachlos, since normally they don't have the Ovoid in hand to win.

I don't mind people suiciding the universe, I like the tension that possibility creates. However I like this new Displacer card because it would prevent people from moving the Clock solely to give themselves the final turn, which is pretty anti-climatic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.