Popular Tags: [View All]
Thrilly Philly
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello gamers,

I'm looking for a game which works well with 3-4 players (handling 5-6 is cool but not mandatory). It needs to have a board as I want something different than just cards like my dominion and race for the galaxy. I think BSG & Dead of winter are fun games, but someone else in my group has those so I don't want to double up. Don't want something super light like Jamaica, or heavy wargames. More mid-heavyish range. I was currently looking at lords of waterdeep or Scythe, leaning towards Scythe. A co-op game which has a traitor is also pretty cool, but not sure SOC is worth it when I could play BSG instead. Let me know if you have any ideas!

Games I like/Own
Dominion + Expansions
Powergrid
Race for the galaxy
Pandemic

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cyclades
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Bohm
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominant Species - Area control game that works phenomenally at 4 players. Also very good at 5. Don't know about 3 players though. I also love Powergrid, and while Dominant Species is a totally different experience, it draws out a similar emotional experience as Powergrid.

Scythe is also a great choice. I like it less than Dominant Species, but I still like it nevertheless. It blends resource management and engine building with combat. Now I know, many people gripe that Scythe isn't a game about combat, but I disagree. Even though combat is not a frequent occurrence, it often has major ramifications when it does occur. Furthermore, when I have played Sycthe, I am constantly on red alert due to the possibility of battle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
According to your flag, you're in Waterloo. This is great, as we have 3 gaming cafes that you can go to and test drive all kinds of games (if you don't already know about them):

The Adventures' Guild (http://www.adventurersguildcafe.com/#about)
Games on Tap (http://www.gamesontap.ca/)
Crossroads (http://www.crossroadscafe.ca/)

Also, every other month (the next one is in September), there is a game day event in Breslau.

As for suggestions, here are mine:

Mombasa
Dungeon Petz
Trajan
Russian Railroads (adding Russian Railroads: German Railroads later)
The Walled City: Londonderry & Borderlands
Vinhos

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Smith
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
To help with transition from card games try out one from the Ticket to Ride family. My brother really likes his deck builders but will play Lords of Waterdeep more than others from our shelves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thrilly Philly
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tariff wrote:

Will give it a look thanks

Bohmoplata wrote:
Dominant Species & Scythe Info

Your description of Scythe was very appealing to me, I'll look into that and dominant species more thanks.

Deathstroke wrote:

Been to the cafes, never heard about the Breslau game day. I'll be sure to check it out, and thanks for the list I'll start researching!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are a couple of suggestions:
Istanbul - a terrific pick-up and deliver game where you are racing to collect 5 gems. Variable setup and easy rules. Always lots of good tension.s

Carson City: Big Box - a terrific worker placement game where you are all building a city and hoping to be the most successful developer in the city. This has a bit of combat in the sense that you can fight over worker placement actions and steal income generated by others' properties.

Broom Service is a nice pick-up and deliver game with lots of options to score points and some very interesting mechanisms related to you action choice.

New York 1901 is more of a gateway game but has surprising depth despite its simple rule set. In it you are developers during turn of the century New York City and obtain land, build, demolish and rebuild all while competing over who has the most prestigious addresses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
just suggesting you look at Fresco
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Challie Coppel
United States
Huntsville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blood Rage
Terra Mystica
Castles of Burgundy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave H
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I can't recommend Lords of Waterdeep highly enough preferably with expansion. I was a bit reticent about getting as I didn't know how well it would go down with my friends, being the first worker-placement we'd tried but by the second turn in the game we'd all had a great wow moment. I've played other WP games since (caverna and yedo) but LoW is still the group's favourite. The only flaw with it, is how how it prevents other games getting a look in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.