Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Seguin
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I have a quick question about destroy and discard as two game terms.

Destroy means take a card in play and send it to the discard pile, never to be seen again. I lose that card. It does not go back in my hand, and it does not get reshuffled into the City deck.

Discard means take a card from your hand and send it to the discard pile, never to be seen again. I lose that card. It does not get reshuffled into the City deck.

If I have a "Hero" card in my party, and take a walloping from a pair of monsters because I dared to delve into "Level 3" of the dungeon and pulled a Random Encounter monster, I am most likely going to have to assign some damage to one or more of my heroes (even after assuming that my troops all "fell on the sword" like a good Secret Service Agent). If I am forced to assign damage to my Hero following such a battle, then the Hero is destroyed, removed from play, and will never be seen again!

As I have read in some previous posts, combat appears to be very bloody!

There are 198 City cards. If I play the "short game", that drops it to a game of about 100 cards. If I start with five cards, use say 3-4 per turn (either putting them in play with resources or discarding them during my turn), and then drawing back up to 5 cards, then my math says this game would play in less than 32 turns. With four players that's only about 8 or 9 rounds.

Is my math correct? Does a "1/2 deck" game really play that quickly? I want to make sure that I am understanding the concepts of destroy and discard correctly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Taylor
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct, destroy is from play and discard is from hand. Cards that are destroyed or discarded are gone. Eder is an exception.

You will want to send troops to protect your heroes, but sometimes it is worth it to destroy a hero. Remember, heroes and troops aren't worth any points at the end of the game (usually).

Your math sounds about right. A short game is usually around 10 turns or so (remember that you take any left over City cards and use those on the last turn once the draw deck runs out, so there will always be cards that you can draw).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Seguin
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
anarchy wrote:
Correct, destroy is from play and discard is from hand. Cards that are destroyed or discarded are gone. Eder is an exception.

Now you have me intrigued.

What it the "exception" for Eder, other than his soul gem going to your Allegiance Card vs. the General Pool?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Taylor
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eder's first ability is:

"When Eder is destroyed, return him to your hand."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Seguin
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
anarchy wrote:
Eder's first ability is:

"When Eder is destroyed, return him to your hand."

Yep, I read that last night after I had already posted my question. I happened to notice his Soul Gem ability the first time I saw the card, and never bothered to read the first half of his ability.

Eder is now my favorite Hero!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.