GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,740 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

One Deck Dungeon» Forums » Rules

Subject: Campaign Mode Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Lewisville
TX
flag msg tools
Howdy,

Reading the campaign rules on the Kickstarter page, I had a couple of questions.

Do you need to complete a dungeon, including defeating the boss in order to earn any green/yellow/red points? Is there an option to "retreat" before finishing at some point to earn campaign points?

Which dungeons are classified as Easy, Medium and Hard?

It appears you can only earn Green points in Easy dungeons (which are 1 point per floor cleared). You can't earn any Yellow points for each Level up or Red points for clearing the Boss, right?

I assume that if you die in a dungeon, your campaign character sheet is discarded and you must start with a fresh campaign sheet, even if you start with the same character class next time - is this correct?

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
mbmbmbmbmb
All the points you earn in a dungeon are determined by its difficulty class. Dungeons have one, two, or three dots to the right of their title (Dragon = Easy, Yeti/Hydra = Medium, Lich/Minotaur = Hard). You get points even if you lose before the boss.

When ticking off boxes on the campaign sheet, Easy points can fill in only green, Medium can fill in green or yellow, and Hard can fill in any of the three.

Each character sheet is for one hero, and can be used as many times as you play with that hero!

If you wanted to play a variant with true hero death, you could play that you're allowed to leave the dungeon at the start of any turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lewisville
TX
flag msg tools
Thank you for taking the time to answer these questions. Much appreciated.

Do you get green points for levelling up and defeating a boss, even if playing an Easy dungeon? I know you can only get green points, but the score sheet made it appear as if the points for levelling up required a Medium or Hard difficulty dungeon and the points for defeating a boss required a Hard dungeon.

Regarding true hero death - that sounds like a nice challenge (and was my unsafe assumption since this is a Rogue-like game). Is there anything you would add to prevent people from leaving after completing a floor and levelling up once....then repeating this multiple times to bulk up their character sheet prior to actually getting deeper into a dungeon?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, yes -- you get the three types of points regardless. Sorry, that's the beta version of the sheet and it'll be cleared up in the rules!

I mean, there's not a lot that I can do to stop people from gaming the system if they really want to. If you play the game lots of times, it rewards you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lewisville
TX
flag msg tools
Hehe fair enough. Thank you. I might add a house rule that you can only exit after completing a floor and if all 4 doors have been defeated or something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kos blaat
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have some complaint about v1.5:

Campaign Mode is super vague, and nothing is explained well in the manual v1.5; perhaps for the designer and play testers but the idea does not land in my head.
As it is now it seems like two very different designers stitched together their version of a manual and proclaimed it finished. Please stick to convention when writing a manual and include a terms and definitions section! Terms like "Completing a floor" and Descend, what is the difference?

Veteran is used twice, as a talent and as a Difficulty level, but they are unrelated, how stupid is that? At least, to unlock Veteran The Talent I need to achieve 6 green things. Does that unlock Veteran The Difficulty level? No way of knowing.

After checking off Crafty, does that imply that I can also enter the game with Durability? How does that You may have one extra skill or item work, is that at the start of the dungeon, how do I denote that?

First Aid = when you use a potion heal 1 damage. There is no section in the manual on using a potion. There is a section about potion/skill and when applying it to First Aid it becomes a mess. Section should be split up.

Also there is no obvious way to "remember" if I entered a dungeon with Recovery and Fortitude as my 2 talents, playing on Veteran difficulty. This gives me a +2 for completing a level (whatever that means), but no way in hell can I remember, and I don't want to remember, I want to see it in front of me.

Maybe I sound negative, but I just want to focus on the dungeon and the puzzles in front of me and not have that nagging "must remember that I can use my sword as pink, because of Talent Guile" in my head.

I'm thinking of cutting up 1 page of the scoring sheet, that might work, but I have no solution for that cool 'unlock' aspect (the 3 non basic skills).
Also I need some trick to denote that I may check off 3 extra checkboxes because of high diffi.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.