United States
Owensboro
KY
flag msg tools
Gaming Collector/Enthusiast
badge
Gamer Without a Cause
mbmbmbmbmb
CSI has the current (OOP) edition of Robinson Crusoe for $55, and the expansion Voyage of the Beagle for $20. It's a really great price for something that's been hard to find for some time now.

Robinson Crusoe http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/183523
Voyage of the Beagle http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/200649
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony D
United States
FL
flag msg tools
mb
It it work getting now or waiting for the new edition?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Brown
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Man, Sub-creator, the refracted Light through whom is splintered from a single White to many hues, and endlessly combined in living shapes that move from mind to mind.
mbmbmbmbmb
Good price, but be aware that Portal will be releasing a second edition in the future, and there will not be an upgrade kit.

source
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N Jones
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
You are who you choose to be.
mbmbmbmb
FYI the Portal version is listed as $40.84 at Cardhaus.
http://www.cardhaus.com/catalog/board_games-preorder_board_g...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Aull
United States
Owensboro
KY
flag msg tools
badge
Gamer Without a Cause
mbmbmbmbmb
There will be some who prefer the earlier game and art, and some who prefer the newer.

Think of it when comparing editions of Fury of Dracula... or maybe even Colosseum shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Aull
United States
Owensboro
KY
flag msg tools
badge
Gamer Without a Cause
mbmbmbmbmb
elitusprime wrote:
Good price, but be aware that Portal will be releasing a second edition in the future, and there will not be an upgrade kit.

source

No upgrade kit because there are too many changes. There's no telling what will be missing from the 1st edition--it might turn out to be like Study of Emerald, where the company change tries to 'streamline' the game, but ends up pulling out the soul of the original.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Ulrey
United States
Hilliard
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not just skip it and wait for.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PositiveMD wrote:
It it work getting now or waiting for the new edition?

It was nearly a Top 10 game in its "lesser" form.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Brown
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Man, Sub-creator, the refracted Light through whom is splintered from a single White to many hues, and endlessly combined in living shapes that move from mind to mind.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hillean wrote:
elitusprime wrote:

source

No upgrade kit because there are too many changes. There's no telling what will be missing from the 1st edition--it might turn out to be like Study of Emerald, where the company change tries to 'streamline' the game, but ends up pulling out the soul of the original.

I've got my 1st edition copy, sitting safely on the shelf, just in case.

Of course, it's sitting next to my 1st edition copy of Through The Ages which will probably never be played again...

Difficult to see. Always in motion is the future..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
Sometimes life is scary and dark. That is why we must find the light. -BMO
mbmbmbmbmb
Yoda quote wins my personal interwebz for the day.

Edit: Stay on target! Stay on target!

For what it's worth, I'm sitting on my original Z-Man edition of the game along with VotB. I was tempted to sell/trade it and buy the upcoming version, but I'm worried it might be a bad move. There's a decent chance that an updated rulebook may be applicable to the old edition anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Lj
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Misterboy wrote:
Yoda quote wins my personal interwebz for the day.

Edit: Stay on target! Stay on target!

For what it's worth, I'm sitting on my original Z-Man edition of the game along with VotB. I was tempted to sell/trade it and buy the upcoming version, but I'm worried it might be a bad move. There's a decent chance that an updated rulebook may be applicable to the old edition anyway.

How is VotB? I love this game, but it very rarely gets to the table because people don't love co-ops in my group. VotB do anything to the game as a solo player?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Miller
United States
Hoover
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hillean wrote:
There will be some who prefer the earlier game and art, and some who prefer the newer.

Think of it when comparing editions of Fury of Dracula... or maybe even Colosseum shake

Not the best comparisons...as the actual artwork on the cards, pieces, etc has not changed. Only the box art/size.

There are component upgrades, card tweaks, and rules overhauls though...but nothing nearly as drastic as the two games you mentioned. The biggest cosmetic change will likely be a modified board layout.

Also, they dropped the MSRP of the 2nd edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Aull
United States
Owensboro
KY
flag msg tools
badge
Gamer Without a Cause
mbmbmbmbmb
Dropped the MSRP because I'm sure there are less contents.

There will be tokens removed, turns streamlined, bits and pieces revised and removed. It'll be a less lengthy as the first I'm sure, to try and get it to a wider audience.

If my Fury/Dracula & Colosseum comparisons were off... let's make it a Study of Emerald comparison then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Harrison
United States
Beavercreek
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both Miniature Market and Cardhaus have the current edition in stock and priced less than CSI's sale price (and both have the preorder for the Portal version for $10 less). It looks to me like CSI forgot to lower the price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Aull
United States
Owensboro
KY
flag msg tools
badge
Gamer Without a Cause
mbmbmbmbmb
Tineren wrote:
Both Miniature Market and Cardhaus have the current edition in stock and priced less than CSI's sale price (and both have the preorder for the Portal version for $10 less). It looks to me like CSI forgot to lower the price.

Yowza you're right... well this thread is moot now

At least the expansion is cheaper at CSI
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J .M
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just for the record I've been following news of the new edition pretty closely and I'm almost positive there will be no major changes to the gameplay.

The difference in components are actually improvements,It will include the custom shaped resources that they sell on portals site instead of cubes,thicker card stock on the player boards and rather then remove content they are actually including the extra King Kong scenario that they also sell on it's own or you have to print yourself.

The only card/rule changes will be better wording to make them more clear. Which is sorely needed because learning the game from the current rule book is doable but though.

The reason for the cheaper price is probably because the developer is now going to be the publisher so no need to split profits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Miller
United States
Hoover
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmb
EclipsedHalo wrote:
Why not just skip it and wait for.....

It will be fantastic...but it's not a simple Robinson Crusoe retheme.

It's going to be far more campaign based/legacy-esque. But, if the Martian theme is a bigger draw, I suppose you could wait. However, you'll be waiting until 2017.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Miller
United States
Hoover
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmb
mitchellcmiller wrote:
Hillean wrote:

There will be tokens removed, turns streamlined, bits and pieces revised and removed. It'll be a less lengthy as the first I'm sure, to try and get it to a wider audience.

If my Fury/Dracula & Colosseum comparisons were off... let's make it a Study of Emerald comparison then.

Perhaps you talked to Ignacy about this. I don't know.

I know I did, and I wouldn't say any of your comparisons so far have been correct. I'm not sure where you are getting your information other than internal assumptions. Perhaps I'll be proven completely wrong when it releases.

As far as I've been told and have seen, the changes involve upgrading the components, cards, and rulebook to make everything more clear and reduce confusion. No gameplay changes are being made to specifically appeal to a wider audience.

It's essentially a US/English version of the Polish "Game of the Year" edition. They got the rights back from Z-Man games and decided to upgrade the components and rulebook to their standards and make it a "2nd Edition". They even brought in an outside rulebook professional to revise and clear up the rules. The new box and cover art separate it from the previous U.S. "Z-Man Games" release.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Harrison
United States
Beavercreek
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hillean wrote:

As far as I understand, the best comparison is probably when CGE took over the US publishing of Tash-Kalar: Arena of Legends from Z-Man last year. Lower MSRP, but better components.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tineren wrote:
Hillean wrote:

As far as I understand, the best comparison is probably when CGE took over the US publishing of Tash-Kalar: Arena of Legends from Z-Man last year. Lower MSRP, but better components.

Exactly. With another publisher/designer the concerns might be well founded but I've got a great deal of faith in Ignacy. With most new editions I take a wait and see position but in this case I sold my copy as soon as the new one was announced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wellman
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
elitusprime wrote:

source

I find this incredibly disappointing. I was tracking this a year ago when Ignacy posted: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/19969871#19969871

Not to mention the fans of Imperial Settlers won't have an errata purchasing option for the cards. I wouldn't really consider this to be not leaving the fans behind...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
blu_in_green wrote:
elitusprime wrote:

source

I find this incredibly disappointing. I was tracking this a year ago when Ignacy posted: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/19969871#19969871

Not to mention the fans of Imperial Settlers won't have an errata purchasing option for the cards. I wouldn't really consider this to be not leaving the fans behind...

The "not leaving fans behind" was explicitly referring to future expansions being compatible with previous editions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wellman
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NuMystic wrote:
blu_in_green wrote:
elitusprime wrote:

source

The "not leaving fans behind" was explicitly referring to future expansions being compatible with previous editions.

Ahh, I didn't realize that. Thanks for the clarification.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.