$20.00
United States
flag msg tools
So, I was thinking about how I have all these cool heroes (15 and counting at present) and my group will probably only pick one each and go through the campaign with them, and that will be that. What if there was a way to shoehorn in using multiple heroes. The idea off the top of my head was say, in a campaign, you can only use a hero one map before it's "exhausted." Then you have to choose a new hero, of the remaining pool from those you own. This way during a 4p game you would cycle through upwards of 36 (40? can't remember the number of missions) and kind of "tour" the lot of them. I would combine this with the usual upgrade system, and just maintain it between a player's controlled heroes.

Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
phillipsjr2 wrote:
So, I was thinking about how I have all these cool heroes (15 and counting at present) and my group will probably only pick one each and go through the campaign with them, and that will be that. What if there was a way to shoehorn in using multiple heroes. The idea off the top of my head was say, in a campaign, you can only use a hero one map before it's "exhausted." Then you have to choose a new hero, of the remaining pool from those you own. This way during a 4p game you would cycle through upwards of 36 (40? can't remember the number of missions) and kind of "tour" the lot of them. I would combine this with the usual upgrade system, and just maintain it between a player's controlled heroes.

Any thoughts?

The game is designed to swap out characters as you wish. There is a section in the rules about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:

The game is designed to swap out characters as you wish. There is a section in the rules about it.

While I like that, the "as you wish" part I feel would just gravitate towards players simply using the best character every session (in my group of min-max style players) vs being forced into suboptimal choices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
phillipsjr2 wrote:
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:

While I like that, the "as you wish" part I feel would just gravitate towards players simply using the best character every session (in my group of min-max style players) vs being forced into suboptimal choices.

Yes, but even if you force people to choose a new character, my point is you don't need any "new" rules (besides making people choose a different character in the first place), the game is already set up to be able to handle a changing party. You just need to keep track of which skills and treasures each hero has, because if you cycle through the lot and the original heroes return, they still have the loadout from their previous outing.

Edit: Thinking about it, it might be interesting to have some kind of table to roll on between missions (like the original travelling rules), which would affect the composition for the next mission by replacing characters.

You could have things like, a character gets lost in the tunnels, but another hero turns up and replaces him in the next mission; one of the heroes is mugged and left for dead by a new hero who gets to go on the next mission with all of his victim's treasure but none of his skills; a character dies outright, and is permanently replaced. That sort of thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leigh Hathaway
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I really like the idea of this character cycle, it makes you plan for future scenarios by saving some good characters for the more difficult missions and playing the weaker ones earlier on.

In my group I have two players that always go the Cogsmith and the Knight Questor, they generally clean up every room single handedly but this variant will break them out of their alpha gamer comfort zone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James M Hewitt
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
How about this for an idea?

At the start of the quest, pick four fragments to go for first. One has to be Hysh, and you can't include Azyr. The idea is that you're hitting those four fragments at the same time (narratively speaking), so you each pick a different hero for each one of those fragments.

Then, you play those four trials with those four heroes. You can only attempt each trial once.

Then, you do the same again for the remaining four trials, but this time you can only pick heroes you used in the first four trials.

Finally, you each pick a character from those you've used to do the final trial.

Could be fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.