Popular Tags: [View All]
Chad Cooper
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played a four player game of this this weekend.
My girlfriend loved it btw. But our game lasted over two hours and ended with someone just saying okay 10 more minutes and we'll call it. Ten minutes later still no end in sight.

The first player was eliminated at around the 1hr 45min mark when one player in particular just decided to keep feeding monsters (due to monster deaths/resurrections and backstabbing cards) on this player ignoring all other players. And it seems like in order to get to the 30 minute mark in a four player game would require 3 people teaming up against 1 other player, then 2 on 1 and then 1 on 1 with luck to end at 30 minutes.

During play, we would get to points where our board was nearly full of defense and monsters but then we would end up comboing off giant kills, red dragon placements and mines to clear our board.

What could lead to our game length? Are there any common errors that gamers make in this game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ad Astra Per Aspera
United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
No matter where you go, there you are.
badge
Preserve Our Wildlife!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow...My games last about 60 min. I suppose if people were playing to intentionally drag the game out they could, especially if working as a team. But I can see some games lasting 15 minutes under the right conditions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Alberts
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
Hey!

If your four player games are lasting that long, I recommend playing 2v2 where first team to eliminate a player wins.

Two player games can be played in 10 minutes, 3 players is around 30, and four players really depends on who is playing, Generally, if you smell blood, you should gang up on the hurting player. It's an FFA afterall!

That said, I personally prefer 2v2 for 4 player games as that is far more time friendly.

We are adding more resurrection monsters in a pay what you want Kickstarter in October to help cap how long a game can last.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Elkins
msg tools
Our four player game was well over an hour. It ended once we were able to put together unstoppable combos on other players, where you kill them on your own turn, so they have no change to react. The cards are just too powerful otherwise. It seemed like no matter what you had stacked against you, a player would end up getting out of danger by the end of their turn.

It really starts to drag after a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Cooper
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maddest Hatter wrote:
Wow...My games last about 60 min. I suppose if people were playing to intentionally drag the game out they could, especially if working as a team. But I can see some games lasting 15 minutes under the right conditions.

Yeah, we are generally non-aggressive players. If we had the option to place 3 monsters anywhere we wanted (battlefield-wise), we would choose to place one on each field instead of 3 on one field.

Suhmiley wrote:
Hey!

If your four player games are lasting that long, I recommend playing 2v2 where first team to eliminate a player wins.

Two player games can be played in 10 minutes, 3 players is around 30, and four players really depends on who is playing, Generally, if you smell blood, you should gang up on the hurting player. It's an FFA afterall!

That said, I personally prefer 2v2 for 4 player games as that is far more time friendly.

We are adding more resurrection monsters in a pay what you want Kickstarter in October to help cap how long a game can last.

Cool! Thanks, those are good ideas. Anyway to keep updated about kickstarter stuff? Maybe a newsletter or something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Laenen
Belgium
flag msg tools
There is a big factor of randomness
First game I played, I was killed during the first turn yuk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie A
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Suhmiley wrote:
Hey!

Hello. I'd like to hear more from you about the length and balance issues raised by several BGG players and I see also in a recent KS comment.

I find the 2v2 comments a bit concerning, actually. When games are absorbing and/or fun enough, people generally don't complain about the time. Your upcoming KS indicates an attempt to address this, yet as it wasn't addressed prior I'm left not entirely confident it will be an optimal fix. And will it make a possible existing balance issue better or worse in that light, particularly if you don't believe there is a balance issue, which isn't clear to me either.

Please don't take this personally. As I said, at this point I really just want to hear more from you on the issues raised; I wish the various comments had engendered more discussion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.