Subject: free kicks and close passes rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Martin

London
London
msg tools
Dear all.

Can close passes be used for a free kick?

Many thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wookie mart
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
page 27 of the rulebook.

"Free Kick
Kick the ball using a ball card or shoot on goal (if the foul was made within the shot-on-goal Area). Take a shot-on-goal
card at random from anywhere in the deck if you decide to shoot. You must place a player in the hex with the ball to
make the free kick."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Martin

London
London
msg tools
Thank you, but the confusion comes from page 10...
"Close passes are not made using ball cards and hex lines do not apply. They are used on kick-off, throw-in, set-pieces.

A free kick is a set piece.

Any thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cassill
Australia
Canberra
Australian Capital Territory
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been wrong every single time I have used my logic to determine what rules should apply when there are ambiguities...but in this case I would say that yes you can use a close pass at a free-kick.

Close pass states that it can be used as you have shown.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Martin

London
London
msg tools
Ah, looking at the Spanish rulebook, there is no mention of set plays, so it would seem that the rule on page 27 would take precendence, pass/advance cards (or shoot cards in the correct zone) can be used. Close passes cannot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soccer City
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
designer
Mentioning 'set-pieces' in Close passes explanation is a mistake.

As the rule states:
"Free Kick:
Kick the ball using a ball card or shoot on goal (if the foul was made within the shot-on-goal Area). Take a shot-on-goal
card at random from anywhere in the deck if you decide to shoot. You must place a player in the hex with the ball to
make the free kick
."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Martin

London
London
msg tools
Thank you! It really is fantastic that you take the time to respond to gamers' queries. Many thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.