United States
Derwood
Maryland
flag msg tools
Congress of Gamers conventions
badge
Eric's actual photo!
mbmbmbmbmb
I run board game conventions, and my library of games gets a bit more than its fair share of use, with box exteriors taking the most abuse. I also sell board games I buy from liquidations of gamer estates, many of which are old, out of print, un-punched, and valuable, but often with badly damaged boxes. I've been looking at engineering some transparent "sleeves" for common box sizes that cover the box snugly. Turns out this is more complicated than sleeving cards, because of the variable box height. Still, it's doable. Before I do a kickstarter, I'd like to gauge interest. What's your educated guess as to the percentage of active gamers who would pay $2 each for a nice plastic sleeve for some of their board game boxes? Looks like factory minimums for the design I like are 3000 per size.

If any game publisher reads this, any possibility you would want to make your game even MORE expensive by including one of these with the box? I think not, but many games HAVE gotten pretty fancy lately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
<1% total market, maybe 10% around here.

Personally, wouldn't ever bother or care. The box is just there to keep the game contained, I play games not collect them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engelmann
United States
Derwood
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Eric's actual photo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Davej360 wrote:
I'd rather buy a roll of clear contact paper if I was concerned about box scuffing. If anyone was really concerned about their boxes they'd probably store them in hard plastic boxes that would protect from crushing.

That would be like laminating game cards. When the laminate wears out, you have a real mess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engelmann
United States
Derwood
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Eric's actual photo!
mbmbmbmbmb
darthain wrote:
<1% total market, maybe 10% around here.

Personally, wouldn't ever bother or care. The box is just there to keep the game contained, I play games not collect them.

Thanks for the estimate. About what I figured. As for bother and care, that's exactly how I felt until my game boxes failed from heavy convention play and I before started buying/selling old/rare games. Now I understand why book publishers offer "Library" versions whose covers and binding are extra sturdy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Johnson
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
badge
INFECTED EGGS
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Engelmann wrote:
I run board game conventions, and my library of games gets a bit more than its fair share of use, with box exteriors taking the most abuse. I also sell board games I buy from liquidations of gamer estates, many of which are old, out of print, un-punched, and valuable, but often with badly damaged boxes. I've been looking at engineering some transparent "sleeves" for common box sizes that cover the box snugly. Turns out this is more complicated than sleeving cards, because of the variable box height. Still, it's doable. Before I do a kickstarter, I'd like to gauge interest. What's your educated guess as to the percentage of active gamers who would pay $2 each for a nice plastic sleeve for some of their board game boxes? Looks like factory minimums for the design I like are 3000 per size.

If any game publisher reads this, any possibility you would want to make your game even MORE expensive by including one of these with the box? I think not, but many games HAVE gotten pretty fancy lately.

I find these boxes cheap and effective.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are folks who would be interested, but it would be a very niche group. I really think you'd struggle to move 3000 of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shirley Sheak
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always thought adhesive book cover can do the job, but I never care enough to do it, unless the box is breaking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.