Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Sigal
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, having gotten Vast to the table twice (both times with only new players), I've come to appreciate the difficulty the asymmetry poses for teaching the game. I think everyone came to enjoy the game by the finale, but one thing I think is lacking on the player aids are some general tips/strategies for the different roles in how to accomplish their end game.

Does anyone have a list of tips that they give new players who are seeing their roles for the first time? Even basic things like - if you are the Dragon, you probably don't want to move *toward* the Knight in the early game (as I've seen) would be useful. Some sort of list that gives players an indication of things to try or avoid would be so helpful!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Scaggs

Indianapolis
Indiana
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Knight: Explore to gain upgrade and build up grit so you can beat the dragon down.

Dragon: Stay away from the knight because she's evil and murderous. Don't forget to use the ability that moves cubes to more favorable areas as needed. Don't forget to play your dragon gems.

Goblin: Do your best to attack once per turn at least.

Cave: The cave keeps everyone in check. Buff the roles that mess with the person that's a bit too far ahead. Sprawl the cave so collapse is more viscous. Place treasures to buff the characters that need it.

Thief: (?) - Haven't played this character yet
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Leder
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Knight: Don't keep exploring the far edge of the map and then wonder why you never can hit the Dragon whom will be at the end other of the map. Go for early hits in the Dragon.

Goblin: In the early game when the Knight is choosing between exploration and strength, keep one tribe off board to either slow her down or gain early hits. Try to plunder if you have no other action, it prevents the Cave's economy form running away and slows down the Knight and the Dragon.

Dragon: Whenever I play I feel like I am going to miss one resource. Be ready to slither in the mid game. Try your best to avoid early hits from the Knight, it sets up late game defeats. If there is a patch of dark tiles try to get to the back of those to drop off your Gems. Lit tiles behind a wall of dark tiles are even better since you can put the walls in annoying positions.

You need to keep the board as Goblin free as you can to keep the Knight alive. You can only fail in this task 6 or 7 times.

Cave: As Sam Bailey says, "Keep the Knight healthy and weak.". Rotate tiles to make passages moving and put rock slides near the exit to slow down the Dragon's escape and block up the center of the board.

Use Crystal Curse to slow down a strong Knight's end game either by rotating tiles or resetting events.

Thief: As you steal Treasure from the Cave, the Cave will become less able to deal with the other players. Use backstab to keep people off of their footing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Lohrman
United States
Lancaster
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to write a few of these down on the bottom of the one page role inserts. All good tips. Maybe rewrite them to sound thematic depending on which role I'm writing on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Peterson
msg tools
mb
Knight: keep an eye out for opportunities to get treasure. If you can get the mighty axe -- take it. If your starting side quests are difficult, don't be afraid to turn in a treasure (or two) for grit just to get you moving. With experienced players, you're going to need to push it pretty close to the limit. I'm not saying ignore the Goblins, but definitely make the cave player have to think about healing you.

Goblins: Take advantage of the early game to get some hits in. When placing tribes, don't put them on tiles where the dragon can hit both at the same time. Sometimes it's even worth sacrificing a tribe to keep the dragon off the ones you care about. If possible, try to save up to get 2-3 hits in at the end to win, making good use of cards (underworm, firebomber, etc) to make a seemingly "safe" tribe active. If you get the knight down to one on your turn, chances are the cave will find a way to get some healing done and/or otherwise protected.

Dragon: Be wary of how much you explore. Doing early game exploration can be good (it puts distance between you and the knight), but you're really helping out the cave, so you eventually need to put the brakes on. In 100 or more games, I've never seen the dragon win that race. Mostly stay away from the knight and focus on the easiest way to remove slumber. Use/abuse hiss in the endgame to keep the Goblins locked down, giving you enough time to win.

Cave: In the early game, focus on building your economy by spamming treasure troves. If you can play past plunder, you probably want to. When you get your first crystal tile, try to place it offset from the entrance (no straight shots home). Even better if you can put it around tiles with lots of walls. Once you hit roughly the middlegame, try to figure out which area of the board is being neglected by the players. Put your crystals there, on the edge, for easy collapse and then subtly direct players to other areas of the board. If they end up going over there and finding your crystal stash, you still have enough time to pick another edge. Save at least one soporific spore for the dragon (you're probably going to need it).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sigal
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lowjinx wrote:
I want to write a few of these down on the bottom of the one page role inserts. All good tips. Maybe rewrite them to sound thematic depending on which role I'm writing on.

That sounds like a great idea. If you do, you should post them here for others to use!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.