10 Posts

Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game» Forums » General

Subject: Timber Peak or Blood in The forest? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fibrovascular Membrane
msg tools
Hello there,
I haven´t played LNOE for a while, but I found an excelent new group and I am thinking about getting one of the big expansions, I have only the original game. Which one would you recommend?!
Thanks!
Renan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Finazzo
United States
St. Louis
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Growing Hunger" is the big expansion for the original game. "Blood in the Forest" is the big expansion to "Timber Peak", which is a reimplementation of the original and not an expansion. I wouldn't suggest getting "Blood in the Forest" for the original, because you don't the have the cards for the experience system that is in "Timber Peak" and the materials make reference to that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would add sort of.

I use timber peak and the base game together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Slattery
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
100% Growing Hunger, not Timber Peak or Blood in the Forest.
One more reason for Growing Hunger over TP is Timber Peak has three new characters and three "re-skins" of characters from the original game, while GH is all new characters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fibrovascular Membrane
msg tools
Thank you!
You all helped a lot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Smith
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Frantic Ferret wrote:
"Growing Hunger" is the big expansion for the original game. "Blood in the Forest" is the big expansion to "Timber Peak", which is a reimplementation of the original and not an expansion. I wouldn't suggest getting "Blood in the Forest" for the original, because you don't the have the cards for the experience system that is in "Timber Peak" and the materials make reference to that.

Blood in the Forest comes with more than enough experience cards to play it with the original. I've done it many times and had tons fun with it, and I still never have bought Timber Peak.

Having said that, though, Growing Hunger is obviously the best choice for a first expansion, purely based on how much content it comes with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fibrovascular Membrane
msg tools
Thanks once again.
But i do not understand one thing.Why GH is so expensive compared to TP and BF?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Slattery
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure. Should check if GH is out of print or not.
I ran through the component lists on BGG, and here's the comparison. Note that Timber Peak contains LOTS of overlap with the base set, while GH and BitF are mostly new.

Board pieces: 2(GH), 7(TP-1 center, 6 L-shaped), 9(BF - 1 center, 4 L-shaped, 4 extenders
Hero figures/cards: 4 (GH), 6 (TP - 3 are "upgrades to original characters), 2 (BF)
Zombie figures: 7(GH - new color, red), 14 (TP - 7 green, 7 brown), 8 (BF - all new sculpts, 2 behemoth and 6 feral)
Scenarios: 3 (GH), 4 (TP), 3 (BF)
Cards: 50 (GH), 130 (TP), 61 (BF)
Tokens/Markers: 60 (GH), 126 (TP), 65 (BF)

It depends what you are looking for, overall.
GH is best to just add more to what you have, without adding lots of complexity. There are a few rule changes/additions, but if you are playing with a new group this is the easiest expansion to add in from the start

TP is more like an alternate experience to the base game. Yes, it acts as an expansion, but it can also be a stand alone. Most people I know prefer to use either the original base or this as the base then add their favorite expansions. Most of the time, only the true collectors want this plus the base. There are also new rules for spreading fire and for leveling up characters, which adds more complexity, especially for new players.

BitF expands the map one further ring outwards (be careful if you have a small table!) and adds in new zombie types. This builds off of the Timber Peak expansion, so you have the experience system to deal with.

Personally, I own the base, GH, Hero Pack 1, and the Survival of the Fittest Expansion. Although I've played with TP and BitF, I would not buy them myself. What I have is plenty for my "medium" level group, and when teaching beginners, there is no way I even try to include a lot of the optional rules from the sets I own. The game's difficulty to learn/teach and number of rules to remember scales with the number of expansions you buy, and in my opinion is a case for a game that gets to be just "too much" when you add in too many expansions. If I could do it again, I would have gotten the base, GH, Hero Pack 1, downloaded the free scenarios from Flying Frog's website, and stopped there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fibrovascular Membrane
msg tools
Brian, thanks thanks thanks. Now i can decide.I would like to buy GH,but is too expensive. Next month a friend is going to US and will bring one of Them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Riley
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
I Am One With The Force
badge
The Force Is With Me
mbmbmbmbmb
renanschiebel wrote:
Brian, thanks thanks thanks. Now i can decide.I would like to buy GH,but is too expensive. Next month a friend is going to US and will bring one of Them.

One reason GH is so expensive is because it is sold out in many other places. Flying Frog has not restocked a few of the LNOE in a while. So some people are taking advantage of that. Try your FLGS if you can, they might still have some copies at a more reasonable price

SotF is not a bad expansion if you are looking for some variety. Doesn't add any new boards or players but does add some new mechanics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.