Ethan Furman
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The "Treasure" inset on the player reference card states:
Quote:
Treasures require a Hero cube to activate

But the description for the Mighty Axe (in that same section) states:
Quote:
If you already have a Hero cube assigned to the Mighty Axe...

Which makes me wonder if you get the +1 strength bonus without a hero cube assigned?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
High Frontier PBF #17 - Failing spaceward!
badge
We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
mbmbmbmbmb
You need the cube placed on it to get the Strength boost.

If you make multiple attacks in one turn (against the dragon, goblins, and/or crystals) you don't need to keep assigning additional cubes. The bonus continues to apply for the entire turn.

IF you use the secondary effect to cause the extra hit, the strength bonus goes away when you discard the cube and you'll need to place another cube there to use it again during the same turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Furman
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Okay. I suggest removing the "if you already have a Hero cube assigned to the Mighty Axe," portion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sigal
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While on the topic of the Axe, is it possible to use the Axe on the Dragon while the dragon is still underground, but after the collapse has begun?

I'm assuming so because bombs are no longer necessary to attack the Dragon after the collapse has begun, but wanted to make sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne L
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Twitch_City wrote:
While on the topic of the Axe, is it possible to use the Axe on the Dragon while the dragon is still underground, but after the collapse has begun?

I'm assuming so because bombs are no longer necessary to attack the Dragon after the collapse has begun, but wanted to make sure.

Based on what you just said I think i cheated my first game. I was the knight attacking the dragon while underground. Dragon only had 2 health left. I moved in his tile, attacked with +1 strength, and then removed the cube to do the 2nd damage. But, I should have lost that +1 and had to roll to see if I did the 2nd damage I think?? Also, am I correct in you only need 1 perception to do both attacks?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc S
United States
Collegeville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
striped_zebra wrote:
Twitch_City wrote:

Based on what you just said I think i cheated my first game. I was the knight attacking the dragon while underground. Dragon only had 2 health left. I moved in his tile, attacked with +1 strength, and then removed the cube to do the 2nd damage. But, I should have lost that +1 and had to roll to see if I did the 2nd damage I think?? Also, am I correct in you only need 1 perception to do both attacks?
If the Dragon is underground, you can only attack with the bomb, in which case you can only attack once per turn and the axe cannot be used. (If I've been correctly understanding the ongoing conversation about the axe.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sigal
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, here are the relevant bits of text:

On the DRAGON player aid: "Once the Dragon has surfaced or if the Cave has started to collapse, the Knight no longer needs to use Bombs to attack you, and she can spend multiple Encounters to attack you multiple times".

On the Mighty Axe card: "When attacking the Dragon, you may discard the Hero cube on this card to remove another Health".

Looking at that interaction, it seems like - no matter the state of the Dragon (slumbering or awake; underground or surfaced) - once the Cave has begun to collapse, the Knight may attack without using bombs (so just using their Strength check and an encounter), and may also forfeit a cube from the Mighty Axe to deal an additional point of damage.

Further, can a cube from the Mighty Axe be spent, if the Knights attack was done with the bomb? (before the Collapse)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Thurston
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Twitch_City wrote:
Further, can a cube from the Mighty Axe be spent, if the Knights attack was done with the bomb? (before the Collapse)
No--see the italicized text on the Mighty Axe card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ponder Stibbons
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i think it's about time this thread had the full Mighty Axe text (from print and play PDF):
Quote:
"+1 Strength during your turn only. When attacking the Dragon, you may discard the Hero cube on this card to remove another Health. (Cannot be used with a bomb. Place the discarded cube on the Discarded Hero Cubes space on your player board.)"; "Carved with sigils of great power and heavy -- strangely heavy..."

alright, alright alright. now let's talk.

striped_zebra wrote:

working backwards, you are correct in hind-sight saying that discarding the cube took you down one strength; however, this is ignoring the fact that the axe simply grants another wound. i assume you must land the first wound because it says "another Health." However-however, you cannot use the discard-cube power during a turn in which a bomb was used to get at the dragon. and finally/firstly i don't think rules errors in the first game count as cheating.

Twitch_City wrote:
On the DRAGON player aid: "Once the Dragon has surfaced or if the Cave has started to collapse, the Knight no longer needs to use Bombs to attack you, and she can spend multiple Encounters to attack you multiple times".

...can a cube from the Mighty Axe be spent, if the Knights attack was done with the bomb? (before the Collapse)

see above regarding discard-cube power during a bomb event.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sigal
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oops, yup - I don't know how I missed that text about the Bomb on the Mighty Axe card. That was my bad.

However, once the Cave has begun collapsing, I can use the regular attack to hit a Slumbering/Underground dragon and still add the Axe damage to this, ya? Since even once the collapse begins, I don't need to use the bomb anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.