Popular Tags: [View All]
Chad Ridgley
United States
Copperas Cove
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some Questions concerning Movement:

1. Can a leader activate a force in the same phase after he is allowed a free leader alone movement? (basically the leader gets to move twice)

2. Can leaders be intercepted when they move alone?

3. Entrench: can a force move into a space and entrench before it is intercepted and goes to battle? Doesn't seem likely.

4. Can a force of 5 SPs move to a space where a friendly major force already exists and give the command to entrench (using his Defensive DRM) the entire combined force? Seems like this is correct per 12.7.

5. A subordinate within a major force is allowed to be activated (using his initiative) so he can break off with a detachment of the larger major force. This is my understanding of rule 4.1 and multiple commands.

6. When activating admin marches can a minor force exist within a major force? Thusly I would be allowed to move 5 SPs from a space that contains 30 SPs. For the sake of supply though this combined force would exist purely as a major force from my understanding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For CoM, when the rules aren't clear, common sense is almost always correct. Here are my unofficial answers:

chadridgley wrote:
1. Can a leader activate a force in the same phase after he is allowed a free leader alone movement? (basically the leader gets to move twice)

Nope, that's sleazy!

Quote:
2. Can leaders be intercepted when they move alone?

Absolutely!

Quote:
3. Entrench: can a force move into a space and entrench before it is intercepted and goes to battle? Doesn't seem likely.

I agree with you; doesn't seem likely - but this is the answer I'm least sure of; the entrenchment rules always seem a little strange to me.

Quote:
4. Can a force of 5 SPs move to a space where a friendly major force already exists and give the command to entrench (using his Defensive DRM) the entire combined force? Seems like this is correct per 12.7.

Yes, it's allowable.

Quote:
5. A subordinate within a major force is allowed to be activated (using his initiative) so he can break off with a detachment of the larger major force. This is my understanding of rule 4.1 and multiple commands.

Absolutely! The golden rule about force combination is that while inactive, all units and leaders in a space constitute one force. However, you may activate part of said force and thus split it off. It may even be the majority of the original force, as long as this does not violate Commander-in-Chief rules.

Quote:
6. When activating admin marches can a minor force exist within a major force? Thusly I would be allowed to move 5 SPs from a space that contains 30 SPs. For the sake of supply though this combined force would exist purely as a major force from my understanding.

Sure, you can split off a minor force for an Admin March. I believe that, as a minor force, they would immediately be unaffected by the supply status of their parent force and thus be able to move the full 4 MP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Stites
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spartax wrote:

Quote:

I agree with you; doesn't seem likely - but this is the answer I'm least sure of; the entrenchment rules always seem a little strange to me.

I think this would be the inference from entrenchment not being included in 12.10's Sequence of Actions in a Space. Because it's not included and the list starts with "Move" (moving into a space), then entrenchment must be done after the resolution of all the other possibilities, which includes resolution of any battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ridgley
United States
Copperas Cove
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks Sam and Rex for the responses even if a few of these seem obvious.

i agree I seriously doubt Mr. Kalinowski intended a quick entrenchment right before an interception. it isn't even included in the sequence of actions in a space section (12.10) while another movement consideration ,overrun is included.

In regards to number 6, while it makes perfect sense that an admin march could be taken by moving a minor force detachment from a major force, i wonder if that ruling can be abused as well. for example a player with a major force of 10 SPs that is in critical supply and far from a supply source can get around its supply problems by just doing an admin march action and sending off a detachment of 5 SPs that eliminates the critical supply issue because you now have two minor forces unaffected by supply concerns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Stites
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chadridgley wrote:
thanks Sam and Rex for the responses even if a few of these seem obvious.

i agree I seriously doubt Mr. Kalinowski intended a quick entrenchment right before an interception. it isn't even included in the sequence of actions in a space section (12.10) while another movement consideration ,overrun is included.

In regards to number 6, while it makes perfect sense that a admin march could be taken by moving a minor force detachment of a major force, i wonder if that ruling can be abused as well. for example a player with a major force of 10 SPs that is in critical supply and far from a supply source can get around its supply problems by just doing an admin march action and sending off a detachment of 5 SPs that eliminates the critical supply issue because you now have two minor forces unaffected by supply concerns.

I think part of the assumption is that smaller forces can eat off the land and forage for what they need. A large force cannot because the resources are lacking (which is why you need to trace to a supply source). When you split the forces, you're spreading them over a larger area, thus a particular area now has enough resources to sustain the force.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Additionally, splitting one force into two minor forces makes each of them more vulnerable to overruns, so it's not without risk!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bob kalinowski
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to Sam and Rex for fielding these. I concur with the answers.

And to confirm regarding entrenchment -- the force could not "beat" an intercepting enemy in entrenching; since the enemy can intercept the instant a force enters an adjacent space, it couldn't expend the mp (spend the time digging, chopping trees, etc)subsequent to that entry before a successful enemy intercept enters the close vicinity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ridgley
United States
Copperas Cove
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Makes sense Bob. I just wanted to be sure on all those questions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.