Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Settlement Phase decision-making rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a rule about the ordering of actions and resolutions in the Settlement Phase? I can't see anything in the rulebook, FAQ or forums here.

In particular, I'm thinking about the Blacksmith action. Obviously the Trainer and Arena have no surprises/chance involved so they're fine, but with the randomness of drawing Gear cards, there may be opportunity for decision-making.

So can you:

- Choose which order the characters resolve in? Or is it in fixed order (for example, in turn from the torchbearer at the point you complete the quest).

- Choose the actions for one character after resolving a previous character? (For example, see if the first player draws the Legendary Fortune gear card or not).

- Choose your second action after resolving the first action? (e.g. if you draw something that works well with a particular upgraded skill, or if you draw something you like and are confident you don't want to drop anything)

Additionally, how does exchanging gear between party members work? Are swaps allowed, even if both characters are already at capacity, or does A have to give to B and then B discard before they can give to A? Can swaps only happen before, or only after the Settlement actions - or either/during?

Thanks all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Jones
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The Rules Reference on the Settlement Stage (page 14) specifies that the party should firstly Earn Rewards/Suffer Penalties, then Upgrade, and finally Refresh. So the entire party must undergo these three steps in the order stated.

However, within each step, each hero is activated one at a time. As no turn order appears to be explicitly specified for the Settlement Stage, we've always assumed that the heroes can activate in whatever order they choose within each step. So in the Upgrade step, each hero in turn performs two settlement actions of his or her choice, and we've assumed that both the order in which the heroes activate and the order in which each performs his or her two settlement actions is entirely left to the choice of the players concerned. After all, the rules here are restrictive enough!

There is no option for heroes to trade gear cards at any time, either when performing a quest or during the Settlement Stage. The only way for an "exchange" to occur is for one hero to discard a gear card during a Quest by replacing it with another gear card claimed during that Quest. The second hero can then pick up the discarded card at a later stage in the same Quest by claiming it from the gear discard pile (see Claiming Gear and Equipping Gear on pages 9 - 10 of the Rules Reference).

While these rules don't make a lot of sense thematically, we just have to accept that this is a card game and those are the rules, presumably introduced for game balance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dezza
Australia
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kfjones wrote:
There is no option for heroes to trade gear cards at any time, either when performing a quest or during the Settlement Stage. The only way for an "exchange" to occur is for one hero to discard a gear card during a Quest by replacing it with another gear card claimed during that Quest. The second hero can then pick up the discarded card at a later stage in the same Quest by claiming it from the gear discard pile (see Claiming Gear and Equipping Gear on pages 9 - 10 of the Rules Reference).

You're mistaken about lack of trading. On page 9 of the reference book.

During the settlement stage, heroes may give any of their
non-legendary gear cards to other heroes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Jones
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Quote:
During the settlement stage, heroes may give any of their (non-legendary) gear cards to other heroes.

I can't imagine how I managed to miss this time after time when reading and rereading the rules. I guess it's a case of seeing only what you expect you'll see (or not see). Many thanks!

In any case, I believe the procedure I outlined above represents the only way to "trade" gear during a quest.

To return to the original question, this rule doesn't state exactly when during the Settlement Stage such a transfer of gear cards can take place, so presumably this can happen whenever the players choose.

However, this rule on transferring gear cards raises a number of further questions. Firstly, does giving a gear card to another hero constitute unequipping that card? If so, the rules on unequipping depleted gear cards and gear cards that increase health (under Equipping Gear on page 10) would apply. I'm pretty sure that giving away gear does constitute unequipping it. Of course, such cards could be freely given away if the heroes wait until after the Refresh step of the Settlement Stage to transfer them.

Secondly, if a hero is given a gear card, does this constitute that hero claiming the card? Again, I'd assume that it does, thereby enabling the hero who receives the gear card to discard another such card of his choice should he so desire.

Finally, are gear cards given away one at a time or can two heroes simply exchange gear cards? This is important if the heroes are at their gear limits, since if exchanges are not allowed, the first hero to receive a card would be compelled to discard one of his current gear cards in order to accept it. If exchanges were allowed, the two heroes would simply swap he relevant gear cards without either of them exceeding thir gear limit. I'd be inclined to allow exchanges for both thematic and gameplay reasons, but this issue seems to require an official ruling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Mlodzkoski
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Gear trading is easy to miss because it is not mentioned at all in the settlement section of the rules. We play you can straight swap gear once in settlement this seems to be within the spirit of the game. I give you one item and you give me one. Both players must be able to equip the items traded. Note that the FAQ removed the restriction on trading or unequipping depleted gear so you CAN trade depleted items any time in settlement or toss them in the discard pile.

As for player order of settlement actions, we enforce torch bearer first makes all decisions and then go player by player just as in a normal round. At any given moment, trades can happen. These rules are not explicitly covered anywhere to my knowledge.

You want to go last in settlement so you either have a higher chance of drawing the legendary fortune (by choosing blacksmith) or know that there are no more legendary fortunes left (because someone else drew them). So having an order seemed important to end the bickering and we agreed torch bearer first (take all settlement actions) and then progress as a normal turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.