Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Valentine
United States
Westerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
First off, love the game.

Quick question regarding upgrades to ships. If I raid a port on an island and take a ten gold upgrade, do I get 2 points? One for successful raid and one for upgrading. Or do you only get upgrade points for taking the build action and upgrading that route?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
teejojojo wrote:

Quick question regarding upgrades to ships. If I raid a port on an island and take a ten gold upgrade, do I get 2 points? One for successful raid and one for upgrading. Or do you only get upgrade points for taking the build action and upgrading that route?

I'm not a designer, so they can feel free to weigh in if I get this wrong, but:

You gain glory simply for succeeding at the raid endeavor.
SeaFall,p18 wrote:
Gain 1 glory for every successful endeavor

Then, when you plunder, you gain the glory you're entitled to for the upgrade.
SeaFall,p19 wrote:
Docks
Take a ship upgrade worth 10 gold that matches the
color of the dock and add it to any ship in the region.
Gain glory as usual.

Note that the endeavor glory is gained regardless of what raid you perform -- taking gold from a mine, taking goods from a market, etc. And you gain glory from upgrades regardless of how you gain them (including a raid). It might be worth noting that the glory from the endeavor is permanent, and can't be lost (unless is by some future rule addition), but the glory from the upgrade is tied to the upgrade, and will be lost if you lose the upgrade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stack
msg tools
mb
What he said. ^^^^

We have been playing this way as well. We had the same question initially, but once you realize that the 2nd point isn't permanent and has to be held on to, it all makes sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Honeycutt
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
teejojojo wrote:

Becq got it right.

You gain a glory for the successful raid. Then you gain a glory for the upgrade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Harris
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You guys, you guys! He loves the game! Yay!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Honeycutt
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
much0gust0 wrote:

I will admit to having smiled at that

I just started my campaign with Amy (my wife) and Aldie, and they're having a great time too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jayahre wrote:
much0gust0 wrote:

I will admit to having smiled at that

I just started my campaign with Amy (my wife) and Aldie, and they're having a great time too!

Oh, sure, YOU get a copy of the game, but WE have to wait another month or two...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Pisani
United States
New Albany
Indiana
flag msg tools
How do you raid a port on an island to GET an UPGRADE? Do island ports have upgrades?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j n
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
iamthepisani wrote:
How do you raid a port on an island to GET an UPGRADE? Do island ports have upgrades?

By raiding docks

p. 19 (Plunder > Island Sites > Docks)
"Take a ship upgrade worth 10 gold that matches the color of the dock and add it to any ship in the region. Gain glory as usual."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.