T.I.M.E Stories» Forums » General

Subject: How to play? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kim Simmons
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Will reading the rules spoil anything for me before I play the game or should I read the rules as I play the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mikael mordai
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
You should read the rules before you play...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
You need to read the rules first, in full. Nothing in there will spoil the game.

You should also check out the official FAQ, here on BGG, as it contains further more detailed description of certain key things in the game.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1483580/official-faq

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having no-one at the table who has read the rules will most assuredly result in a loss of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan M
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, read the rules in advance. The rulebook is not "case" specific and just explains the concept of the game and how the mechanisms work. This info applies to all the different "cases" that get released. So, for example, it explains what the different tokens are, how different dice checks work, etc.

It isn't until you start a specific "case" that you are then given a bit more specific and potential "spoilers" as to how those rulebook rules will then apply to the case you are playing.

Hope that makes sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BoardGameGeek.

But, more importantly, welcome to the T.I.M.E Agency.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did my first case just this last weekend. Definitely read the rules beforehand, preferably several times. Then make sure everyone else have a fair grasp of them as well before starting. It really isn't a lot to do, just explain movement, spending TU, and tests. I quizzed my fellow Agents before we started on the different test result examples in the rules, to make sure everyone had understood it. (And just as I had hoped, the 3rd person made a mistake when calculating Riposte without any skulls rolled, which made sure nobody would do that mistake during play (also make an extra note that a Riposte does ONE damage, no matter how much more than your resistance is rolled)) The better grasp everyone has of the rules, the less you will have to break out of the atmosphere and submersion into the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerstin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
Having no-one at the table who has read the rules will most assuredly result in a loss of fun.

One could argue that playing a game without ever looking at the rules could also be a lot of fun. Maybe a bit weird, but figuring out how to play a game just based on the components in front of you might end up as a hilarious "game design - the game".
Maybe I should try that sometime. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.