Hide
14 Posts

Imperial Settlers» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Luck with production cards seems to decide winning or losing? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dirk-Jan Mulders
msg tools
First of all I have to admit that I've only played 3 games (2-player with my wife) and 2 solo games.
The games against other player(s) so far seem to be heavily decided by who is lucky enough to get plenty of production cards (general, and/or faction). I have won 1 game with a 7 point difference, mainly because I was lucky to get more production cards. The other 2 games were won by my wife with more than 50 points in difference. Both games she got a crazy amount of production cards, thus more goods, thus the ability to pay for more cards/actions and spend her workers on buying new cards. I only got 6 production cards last game, of which she destroyed 3. This meant I got barely any goods, thus couldn't lay down a lot of cards, nor have enough goods to use many actions. Both those games it was obvious I stood no chance towards the end of round 3, and then I had to sit through 2 more rounds...
Are we/Am I doing something wrong?

In general she is better at board games than I am, but this was insane and we both agreed that her victories were leaning heavily on her luck in getting the right (and amount) production cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Part of getting more production cards in your hand is from making certain choices that allow you to draw more cards. The more cards you draw, the better chance of getting more production cards.

You can also make deals to either get more ressources each round, and they are generally safer since they can't be razed by an opponent.

There are a lot of combos that can help get you points as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrik Severinsson
Sweden
Sundbyberg
Sundbyberg
flag msg tools
...microbrewed beer.
badge
...more hops, better die rolls.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had similar feelings as the OP, though only regarding the first turn. I've mostly played two player games and when one of the players have got a significantly larger amount of production cards played in the first turn, that player has always won.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn Schneider
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hahma wrote:

You can also make deals to either get more ressources each round, and they are generally safer since they can't be razed by an opponent.

This is only partly correct. Both Romans (Spies) and Japanese (Ninjas) have cards that allow them to discard your deals. Additionally you cannot raze faction buildings like you can do with common buildings, so these are safer anyways.

@OP: It would greatly help if you could specify which faction you played, as some are harder to play than others and in general require different strategies. While the tip with making deals would be a good hint for the Japanese faction, this would be suicidal for Roman players who generally rely heavily on making coins with their faction buildings being built.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ChromaticShift wrote:
Hahma wrote:

This is only partly correct. Both Romans (Spies) and Japanese (Ninjas) have cards that allow them to discard your deals. Additionally you cannot raze faction buildings like you can do with common buildings, so these are safer anyways.

@OP: It would greatly help if you could specify which faction you played, as some are harder to play than others and in general require different strategies. While the tip with making deals would be a good hint for the Japanese faction, this would be suicidal for Roman players who generally rely heavily on making coins with their faction buildings being built.

That's why I said "generally" safer, because I knew there were cards that could affect deals. But since it's been awhile since I've last played, I couldn't remember the specific cards that could do that.

Thanks for helping with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hastings
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
"In Veritae Victoria - In Truth Lieth Victory"
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a game recently and got reminded of how unlucky you can be when you get bad production cards.

I was Egyptian and OH was barbarian and she started getting villages in round 1 & 2 and so she was getting 12 workers a round whilst I kept only getting 4/5 as she razed my buildings. She ended up winning by 7 on 68 only because I combo'd the additional points bonus
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn Schneider
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hahma wrote:

That's why I said "generally" safer, because I knew there were cards that could affect deals. But since it's been awhile since I've last played, I couldn't remember the specific cards that could do that.

That absolutely makes sense now, I misunderstood the term "generally" in this context. Apologies, I didn't mean to be the rules police.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ChromaticShift wrote:
Hahma wrote:

That absolutely makes sense now, I misunderstood the term "generally" in this context. Apologies, I didn't mean to be the rules police.

No problem

Yeah in this case, "generally" would be like "usually" or "mostly"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mouldy Banana
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
ChromaticShift wrote:

Nothing is safe in this game, there are cards that allow you to raze or remove (can't remember what) faction buildings. But generally, like deals, they are safer than common buildings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk-Jan Mulders
msg tools
In al three games my wife played with Barbarians. The first game I lost I played Romans, the other two games (1 win, 1 loss) I played Egyptians which I found a lot better against Barbarians. The Barbarians and production cards she used generated a lot of workers, and in the game I won I was lucky enough to get the Egyptian card that gives me 1 worker everytime she converts 2 workers into something else.

Problems I had when losing big time were mainly bad/too few productions cards, and no/few cards that give me more cards. And if I got something she razed it with the insane amount of swords she managed to produce.
Making deals for income is fine, but that means sacrifising a possibly good card (and 2 points), for more goods. But if you cannot get the cards to spend those goods on it is no use. Plus you would still need to have enough workers, or food tokens to make the deals which is expensive if you already have a shortage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glikwizz the tinkerer
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
Another idea would be to use your brain and figure out a strategy instead of being lazy minded and deciding (after only 3 games mind you) that something is just luck or bad luck. devilwhistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konrad Borowiecki
United Kingdom
Cardiff
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@Glikwizz I bet you can sweet out a more polite answer that would encourage the OP to play more without going into insult.

@Dirk-Jan The production is key. This is true about the game and true for any production based game that if you do not have resources you simply stuck. This games suffer from the runaway leader significantly. It is not to say that I have any intent of stopping playing IS, never.
Though you must figure out how to best mitigate the luck factor which IS has and the game allows you for it mainly by drawing more cards and secondly by understanding strengths of each faction. It is a solid strategy game after all.

I feel your pain. I have been in your shoes even though I experienced this great game a number of times. I was drawing many cards yet the luck was not on my side, literally the first 2 rounds I drew (nearly) only actions and features. All I built got raised thus significantly slowing me down to the point of realising (after 2nd round) that I had no chance at winning the game. Nevertheless I played it till the end. This was simply another lesson that in games where luck is a part sometimes the result might be out of your control and it is part of the game (life) to learn to accept it.

This was one off experience for me so it is to be expected. I recommend the game to everyone as it is very unique and great to play. I enjoy it the most with the open production and as little of hostile interaction as possible as this way you can focus on building the best engine. I think this is how you should learn this game, at first that is. After a couple of games when you feel familiar with the game then go crazy with the hostile part of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pete truss
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Deals my friend, deals. Doesn't replace production cards but can really help with rescourses, gold, or even more cards (which is what everyone needs)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konrad Borowiecki
United Kingdom
Cardiff
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PeteTruss14 wrote:
Deals my friend, deals. Doesn't replace production cards but can really help with rescourses, gold, or even more cards (which is what everyone needs)

TBH deals are an awesome part of the game. Razing from hand is another. A very clever idea that Ignacy used here. I really enjoy the 'flexible' use of cards in Imperial Settlers. It is a brilliant way that opens up another level of strategic thinking abut your cards.

I do not remember if I ever built a card which had a card deal on it. I think card deals are the best way to secure plenty of cards in your hand, which is a significant factor of a winning strategy.

PS: Another great example of 'flexible' use of cards that I love is Guilds of London.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.