Hide
11 Posts

Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » General

Subject: 2 Player Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Scott
msg tools
I've been looking for a fun, deeper game to play with my wife. I would love some opinions from anyone on whether they think this would play well as a 2 player game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This certainly plays well with 2 players. I don't think I would classify this as a "deeper" game, though.

But on the other hand, that depends on what you compare it with...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Fox
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I have been playing this (each taking one investigator) since we received it a couple weeks ago and have been having an absolute blast. She has told me that this is now her absolute most favorite game. We played a lot of the 1st edition with me as Keeper, so we knew we already enjoy the theme and the mechanics. But the 2ed has improved on the first in every way. We now can play cooperatively (which she prefers) and much of the klunkiness has been removed from the mechanics. The app strikes the perfect balance of delivering information and pacing the investigation while not dominating it. Our last session which involved the second investigation became so immersive that we had to force ourselves to quit and go to bed. If you are interested in the Lovecraft universe and theme, and enjoy story-driven games, this should be a no-brainer for you two. Plus, I'm guessing FFG is going to be supporting this one big-time over the coming years, especially considering the amount of energy and resources that went into this app....so there is bound to be a lot of new, inexpensive content to be delivered over the coming months and years in the form of new investigations.

Best of luck in your decision - and if you take the plunge, let us all know how it's going!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
bigsucculenta wrote:
I've been looking for a fun, deeper game to play with my wife. I would love some opinions from anyone on whether they think this would play well as a 2 player game...

I'm curious what you define as "deeper".

For me a deeper game is one that allows the players to keep discovering new things even though you may have tread the same path before.

As much as I love MOM2, I suspect that the game is not 'deep', in that we're going to start seeing repetitive elements, and our job will still be 'move and explore' within that framework.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Scott
msg tools
Thanks for the replies everyone. I guess "deeper" could mean different things to different people. Let me explain by saying that right now my wife and I only play very short, one shot experience games (Carcassone, Batman Love Letter, Splendor, Patchwork). So we're really looking for a meatier experience in gaming and this seems like a good possible place to start. Thanks again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I had a lot of fun with the first edition, just the two of us. I'd recommend she control two characters, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R.P. Kraul
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Vardaine wrote:
This certainly plays well with 2 players. I don't think I would classify this as a "deeper" game, though.

This. Mansions is probably medium overall ... I guess. But if you compare it to other Arkham Files games, it's definitely on the lighter side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Cantor
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bigsucculenta wrote:
Thanks for the replies everyone. I guess "deeper" could mean different things to different people. Let me explain by saying that right now my wife and I only play very short, one shot experience games (Carcassone, Batman Love Letter, Splendor, Patchwork). So we're really looking for a meatier experience in gaming and this seems like a good possible place to start. Thanks again.

It's certainly more thematic and has more rules than those, but it's very much on the lighter side of the FFG Lovecraft line, arguably lighter than Elder Sign. Definitely lighter than MOM 1e.

Splendor isn't heavy but it's a mathy puzzle that one might find as heavy or heavier than this. But I'm an Arkham fan who also likes and plays fairly heavy games, so grain of salt and all that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Engelbrektson
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
Playing this with my wife and it plays well with 2 players, seems the monster health is scaled by number of investigators.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Drpretorios wrote:
Vardaine wrote:

This. Mansions is probably medium overall ... I guess. But if you compare it to other Arkham Files games, it's definitely on the lighter side.

Honestly, I think the game is about the same complexity as Eldritch Horror. Only difference is that the MoM App does all of the "thinking" for you. Basically every time in Eldritch that you would draw an encounter card, or resolve the Mythos phase, the App in Mansions is doing all of that behind the scenes.

So to the player, it seems simpler and lighter, but I have a feeling if both games had apps, they'd feel very similar in terms of gameplay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E.

Virginia
msg tools
mb
BreadRising wrote:

Honestly, I think the game is about the same complexity as Eldritch Horror. Only difference is that the MoM App does all of the "thinking" for you. Basically every time in Eldritch that you would draw an encounter card, or resolve the Mythos phase, the App in Mansions is doing all of that behind the scenes.

Interesting. I've only played the first 2 scenarios in MoM.

However I'd say that there is a lot more fog of war in MoM 2nd edition than in Eldritch Horror.

Due to that, it seems that you can better make a long term strategic plan in EH and you do more reacting and short-medium term planning in MoM.

Don't get me wrong, you gotta react to stuff as it comes in EH as well, but for the most part you have a good idea what to expect.

I think the story telling is "deeper" in MoM because it is cohesive, but the strategy is deeper in EH, especially compared to a first time you play a scenario in MoM.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.