Subject: [1854] Mini-map, tile upgrades rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pieter Lust
Belgium
Ieper
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the 1854 mini-map, do the homes of Local Companies 1 to 6 count as small stations or as large stations? The rules say black dots are small stations, and white circles are large stations. Are these homes oversized black dots or white circles colored black?
Related to that: on the home hex of Local nr 4, do you have to lay a yellow large station tile (5 or 6 or 57), or a yellow small station tile (3 or 4 or 58)?

Concerning tile upgrades, the English rules say that the upgraded tile must be reachable by an arbitrarily long train. The German rules say "Eine Gesellschaft darf nur ein Gleisplättchen austauschen, das sie nach dem Austausch auch befahren kann", which seems to mean that it must be within reach of a train that the company owns. I guess my understanding of the German is at fault here. Is an arbitrarily long train sufficient for an upgrade?

Thank you for helping me out!

Pieter

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Goch
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe they are dits (small stations). Look at page 11 for upgrading track. St Polton (on the local map) can be upgraded with a green #15 just like a yellow tile with two small stations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Childs
msg tools
I would say they count as large stations, as station markers need to be placed on them and all trains must include a station marker of the company in their runs.

From the rulebook -

Local Railway companies operate like Major Companies with the following exceptions: (list of exceptions) (page 4, under Local Railways 1-6)

plus

The (Major) company starts to act in the next Operating Round. In its first Operating Round, the company places a Station token on its home base. If that hex is not yet developed, a tile has to be placed there as that turn’s regular build. (page 8, under Launch of a Major Company)

also

When a railroad places one of its tokens on a large city circle, that token becomes a station for that railroad. (page 11, under 3, Place a Station)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evelin Auger
Canada
Portneuf
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is the same as the normal map. cities and villages (large and small).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc magner
United States
webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
iulius12 wrote:
It is the same as the normal map. cities and villages (large and small).

I believe this is correct, as we had the same question in our first play.
If you check the rule book, its pretty clear that Circles are large stations, and dashes are small.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Goch
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder why they choose black circles for the local starting cities rather than white ones then. Particularly when you consider there is a white circle for Amstetten on the local map.

A very odd graphical design choice...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter Lust
Belgium
Ieper
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for your input.

To summarize: the home stations of Locals 1 to 6 are large cities, not small cities. So they count against the number of large cities that a plus-train can visit. And on the hex with the home of Local nr 4 you should lay a yellow large city tile.
Is that correct?

That would also mean that the home stations of Locals 3, 5 and 6 are like tokened out cities, and block the runs of the other Locals. Is that correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter Lust
Belgium
Ieper
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Once I realised that those numbers on the minimap are not preprinted station markers, but places where you have to actually lay a token, it all became obvious blush. Sometimes the brain seems to be more a liability than an asset...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.