Subject: FFG: Suggested improvement on the app.... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Johannes Stål
Sweden
Örebro
ÖREBRO
flag msg tools
For no one - no one in this world can you trust. Not men, not women, not beasts. This you can trust.
badge
Ram it down!
mbmbmbmbmb
Pay the narrator to read in more/all of the flavor text for the cards and events in the app, ill pay a few extra bucks as a add-on/unlockable feature, just DO IT! :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Máté Kovács
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mb
I would love to hear in-game events, conversations texts, and so on. But hearing all the horror checks and fight texts would be boring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sakari Laiho
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also all mom 1st edition missions converted to AI would be EPIC!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Worcester
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The one thing I wish they would do that would be super easy is add a line break before "If Pass" and "If Fail" sentences. It would make it just a little bit easier when looking down at the die results then back up to the app. Obviously a minor complaint but it is something I am surprised that they overlooked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wray Ferrell
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to see the pass/fail results for tests to be hidden and instead replaced by a Pass and Fail button. Do the test, click on the result and then see what happens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Peterson
United States
Cane Ridge
TN
flag msg tools
mb
Wray wrote:
I would like to see the pass/fail results for tests to be hidden and instead replaced by a Pass and Fail button. Do the test, click on the result and then see what happens.

This x1000
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lord Baltimore
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wray wrote:

Excellent! Such a simple idea that would add more mystery to the experience, too.

/signed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Engelbrektson
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
I would like fire spreading to be handled by the app, you input which rooms are on fire on the app and it automatically spreads it, how it is now feels a bit weird that the players decide where the fire spreads to, can follow monster etc
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rogalski
United States
Charlton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Bullet format for the pass/fail text is a great idea. We only read the required result anyway.

I like the idea of the app spreading the fire. We did spreading fire wrong as we had several fires going and spread it to more than one room. During the mythos phase the app just says fire spread to "room name". This would not add any extra mouse clicks.

I would not like to see anything that adds any more mouse clicks, seem like it's at a good balance of those right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cheese Burgler
msg tools
Nate23VT wrote:
The one thing I wish they would do that would be super easy is add a line break before "If Pass" and "If Fail" sentences. It would make it just a little bit easier when looking down at the die results then back up to the app. Obviously a minor complaint but it is something I am surprised that they overlooked.

As a reveal on touch/mouse over - no more pan/zoom/confirmation boxes please! It wastes too much time each click. Someone else suggested highlighted keywords, which I think us somewhere between a separate confirmation and what we've got now, the block of text.

I hope you guys aren't think jag we should slow turns farther. Remember time spent playing the app is time spent away from the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cheese Burgler
msg tools
Malkaw wrote:
I would like fire spreading to be handled by the app, you input which rooms are on fire on the app and it automatically spreads it, how it is now feels a bit weird that the players decide where the fire spreads to, can follow monster etc

A good idea but it takes quite a lot more logic (which means a larger, likely slower app) for the app to know what is a wall, door, or empty space on a tile.

As it is the app presents tile art, but only recognizes them jn the most abstract sense, as entries in a database attached to other programming objects. Not only would the spaces need to be input into the app, but specific details - and of course a naming system to communicate which space on a tile the app is referring to. For example how would the app tell you to put fire on one tile space (given it new there were four spaces present for that tile), and not another.

It could be done. But it takes some doing. I.e. Not an easy solution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
We apologise for the inconvenience
United Kingdom
Outside of the Asylum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good thread, hope someone @ FFG is reading it, or can be sent a link as it develops

Mine...

Quote:
- Avoid Popup Messages Obscuring New Rooms / Token Placements by tweaking pan/zoom of the board layout or similar

- Keyboard Shortcuts to navigate the messages on non-touch laptops (cursors/arrows to highlight, ENTER/SPACE to confirm, ESCAPE to cancel). Currently can only pan view with W/A/S/D

- Multiple Save Slots

- Undo / "Load Save From Turn XXX"

And others already posted that I agree with so far...

Quote:
- Fire Controlled By App - maybe just choose a random room on the board & have us spread in that direction. In the meantime we could just roll randomly among adjacent spaces, or between all the rooms to choose one ourselves. Because it does feel weird/exploitable to spread it where we desire, even into paths of monsters, or unused/empty rooms.

- Split Text of Tests into FLAVOUR / TEST CONDITIONS / IF-PASS / IF-FAIL for easier reading

- Option to Hide Test Outcomes - until you select whether you have PASSED or FAILED the test
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Outside of the Asylum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheesburglar wrote:
Malkaw wrote:

A good idea but it takes quite a lot more logic (which means a larger, likely slower app) for the app to know what is a wall, door, or empty space on a tile.

As it is the app presents tile art, but only recognizes them jn the most abstract sense, as entries in a database attached to other programming objects. Not only would the spaces need to be input into the app, but specific details - and of course a naming system to communicate which space on a tile the app is referring to. For example how would the app tell you to put fire on one tile space (given it new there were four spaces present for that tile), and not another.

It could be done. But it takes some doing. I.e. Not an easy solution.

Doesn't necessarily have to be that smart. It already knows which rooms we've placed, and exactly what shape they are. It could just choose a random room (or maybe a door, or random space within a room), highlight it on the map, and instruct you to spread the fire "toward" that location, by the definition of "toward" that already exists in the Rules Reference. If that location is already on fire, then you choose any adjacent location as per existing rules. That would at least prevent the players exploiting the fire too much, and make it a bit less predictable, as fire might be!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat Mccrotch
msg tools
Steelman wrote:
Pay the narrator to read in the all the flavor text for the cards and events in the app, ill pay a few extra bucks as a add-on/unlockable feature, just DO IT!

If the voice acting was amazing, I'd agree. But given the amount of "flavor" and more than that, that they don't know how many more scenarios/expansions They're going to commit to, that's a lot to take on. I've a fair estimation it'll be quite a bit more than a few bucks each. Remember we pay "nothing" for the app at present (unlike the "recycled component" box you pay through the nose for).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rogalski
United States
Charlton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I think voice acting for everything would slow the game down too much (and perhaps be expensive). It took us somewhere between 4 to 5 hours for scenario #1, voice acting; especially if you have repeated events or combat text would get annoying.

However, having it for key story points where it would aid the atmosphere of the game would be great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Harward
United States
Plano
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like the Windows version to frame-limit the app to prevent it from going above 60fps. When it gets to the end of the frame, *please* have it sleep() for the remainder of the frame until the time-limit is up.

As it is, the app causes my Surface Pro to go into overdrive trying to render, at maximum speed, a virtually static screen. Sigh. 30fps would be more than enough. Heck, 15fps would be fine. There's so little to render.

My laptop just gets smoking hot for an app that does so incredibly little per frame. It *really* needs to relinquish some CPU cycles at the end of each frame. It burns through the laptop battery which is a real shame for an app that is meant to be brought to the gaming table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Outside of the Asylum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tiggertooth wrote:
I would like the Windows version to frame-limit the app to prevent it from going above 60fps ..[snip].. 30fps would be more than enough. Heck, 15fps would be fine. There's so little to render.

My laptop just gets smoking hot for an app that does so incredibly little per frame.

Yep, good suggestion! It really hits it hard considering it's drawing little more than a dozen or so textured rooms/tokens.

The gfx drivers on the devices we've been using don't have any capability to cap the framerate or force vsync, so not sure if that's a possible workaround in the meantime.

To try to reduce heat/battery drain, I did try switching to "Mobile" graphics, instead of "Desktop" in the Unity launcher dialog, but it just rendered even faster (at presumably lower detail, though I didn't particularly notice in which ways) - as expected I guess!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
rman wrote:
I think voice acting for everything would slow the game down too much (and perhaps be expensive). It took us somewhere between 4 to 5 hours for scenario #1, voice acting; especially if you have repeated events or combat text would get annoying.

However, having it for key story points where it would aid the atmosphere of the game would be great.

It would also massively increase the file size of the app, reducing the number of devices it could be run on.

But yeah, a few more clips could be neat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hun
Malaysia
Petaling Jaya
Selangor
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The app is great! it really sets a good atmosphere or setting for the game itself. However, I think it would be even better that they include more sound effects such as when interacting with the clue tokens or exploring or even monster sounds. I think it will make the game more immersive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laos the Lurking
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pudsy wrote:
- Avoid Popup Messages Obscuring New Rooms / Token Placements by tweaking pan/zoom of the board layout or similar

- Keyboard Shortcuts to navigate the messages on non-touch laptops (cursors/arrows to highlight, ENTER/SPACE to confirm, ESCAPE to cancel). Currently can only pan view with W/A/S/D

- Multiple Save Slots

- Undo / "Load Save From Turn XXX"

- Fire Controlled By App - maybe just choose a random room on the board & have us spread in that direction. In the meantime we could just roll randomly among adjacent spaces, or between all the rooms to choose one ourselves. Because it does feel weird/exploitable to spread it where we desire, even into paths of monsters, or unused/empty rooms.

- Split Text of Tests into FLAVOUR / TEST CONDITIONS / IF-PASS / IF-FAIL for easier reading

- Option to Hide Test Outcomes - until you select whether you have PASSED or FAILED the test

What about some way to mark the physical components inside the app? So before save and close a running game, you could put investigator- and monster-icons, as well as fire/darkness-tokens, barricades etc. on the map, which would allow you to rebuild it properly when you continue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walmsley
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
matchstick wrote:
The app is great! it really sets a good atmosphere or setting for the game itself. However, I think it would be even better that they include more sound effects such as when interacting with the clue tokens or exploring or even monster sounds. I think it will make the game more immersive.

How many sound effects are actually in the app? I know on the very fist turn on Scenario 1 there's a sound effect for something but how often do these happen?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.