$15.00
$5.00
Mike Bialecki
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My daughter starts kindergarten in the fall and I really want to get involved. I have had my eye on Gamewright's Host a GameNight fundraiser for a while and would like to organize one for the school. It basically works like the Scholastic Book Fairs you may have seen at some schools. Gamewright ships a bunch of games to the school. The school then organizes a game night where volunteers teach, play, and sell the games to parents. The school takes half the proceeds, and the unsold games are shipped back to Gamewright (that's the only expense to the school). Does anybody have any experience with this? How'd it go?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Naomi Ooooooooo

Alaska
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Never heard of that but it sounds great. Curious what you hear... or how it goes if you do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakamachi, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you familiar with the games that they would be offering? If you can enthusiastically get behind the games, then maybe. Are you part of the school administration? If not, it would be a tough sell for something you're not personally familiar with. Why not get together with the school/teachers and suggest some edu-friendly games that you would provide and offer to teach to the kids? When my son was in 1st grade, his teacher let me help with their computer program. It was a lot of fun and freed her up to do other things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bialecki
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
longagoigo wrote:
Why not get together with the school/teachers and suggest some edu-friendly games that you would provide and offer to teach to the kids?

Oh, I definitely also plan on running a board game club. The reason I'm asking about The Gamewright Gamenight is because it's a fundraiser, so it benefits everybody - perhaps the school could use the money raised to purchase other board games for the board game club I plan to help run
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virginia M.P.
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No experience but this sounds awesome! I work at a preschool so it wouldn't work for my environment (though I've started up an extensive games library for the 4yr olds) but for an elementary school this is terrific!!

I also think this would be an easy sell for the school... Gamewright games are attractive, very family-oriented and inexpensive. They should sell well. The school calendar is probably firmly set so they might not be able to schedule it for some time, though. Good luck and let us know how it goes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anitra Smith
United States
Auburn
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We've done it at my kids' school two years in a row. My husband runs the fundraiser, picking up the boxes of demo & sale-able games, running inventory and handling the money.

It's a fun time and it can give great returns for your fundraising time. Our school is tiny (40 students in 7 grades) and we still raise a decent amount of money. We usually try to hold the fundraiser in November when people start thinking about Christmas presents. That also gives us enough time to get any orders in (for games that were in high demand or low stock) and have them shipped to us before Christmas break.

The whole process is pretty streamlined. We live in Massachusetts, so we don't pay the return shipping, we just go drop off the boxes at the Gamewright office. But even with shipping, it's totally worth it.

Oh, and about 1/3 the available games are good for preschool/kindergarten ages. That's why Gamewright ends up being such a great fit for an elementary school fundraiser.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.