GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,045 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Exceed: Red Horizon – Reese & Heidi vs. Vincent & Nehtali» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Zoey Write up rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andre Pickens
United States
flag msg tools
Howdy! New here but i wanted to start posting some of my findings for Exceed! Hopefully this information will help players out who may be interested in learning the characters. I will be going over all of the characters so i hope you enjoy!

Zoey Character Write up.

Out of all of the designs, Zoey is one of my favorite because she is what I like to call a “one hit wonder”. This write up is to help players understand how to efficiently use Zoey to her Maximum Potential.

Zoey Character Ability

Taking a look at her regular ability, Zoey immediately establishes herself as a threat against her opponents because of her ability to spam quick special moves. Due to her quick moves, Zoey will often be the first attacker. This means that this effect should trigger more often than not because she wont be getting stunned to prevent this effect from taking place.

When Zoey exceeds, she gains the ability to add cards from her gauge to her hand when she would spend them. Now this means whenever she would spend gauge for anything. She wants to spend 2 gauge on using a boost? She just gets the cards she spent back to her hand. This ability is what makes Zoey a contender. Because of her ability to gain gauge quickly, no one can argue exceeding her her early in many match ups is the right call.

Ratings (Out of 5) and Explanations

Strength of Character ability: 4

Zoey’s character ability is quite powerful and can be dominating against certain characters. However, the reason it was given a 4 out of 5 was because it doesn’t actually help her in combat. The ability allows Zoey to spam her moves and whatnot which is great overall. However, it does not enhance her weak power or her incredibly poor defense. The upside to her ability is that it isn’t matchup dependent. So properly played, Zoey can just abuse her Character ability.

Her Exceed mode is in effect her “money maker”. This is where she really shines (pun intended on the fact that they are foil.) Her recursive loops are incredibly strong and help give her a variety of options in even her toughest matches.

Attacker: 4
As an attacker, Zoey can easily dominate most ranges against speedy characters. She doesn’t require a lot of boosts in order for her attack to be faster than the opponent and because of this, I gave her a 4.

Defender: 4
While Zoey does have the guard loop (explained later) and she does have very fast attacks. Her speediness in some Matches (like Vincent or Morathi) can actually end up being a hindrance rather then a benefit. In other matchups like Lily or Miska, her defense can actually be countered by very good spacing. Not to mention she actually doesnt have much in the way of guard or armor on her specials. For this reason, I gave her defense a 3.

However as a defender, zoey is quite capable. She can disrupt her opponents moves by being just one speed faster. This makes a really huge difference. And Sure You Can!(har har) can even read “your opponents attack whiffs” or “Stun target opponent” lol.

The guard loop does help with her defenses however, guarding the entire match is not going to win you the game!

Interaction with basics: 3

Zoey’s interaction with basics is minimal however because in her exceed mode, she is capable of spinning her basics back to her hand while they are in her gauge, that is why this is a three. Without that. This would be a 1 for sure.

Mix up potential: 2
Zoey’s game surprisingly is quite predictable. At certain ranges, you just know what she is going to do and it is only a matter of if you actually have that card in her hand.

She is also very weak to people parrying her cards away. For this reason, I gave her a 2 on mixups.

Movement: 4
Alot of zoey’s special attacks allow her to move rather freely in to the ranges she wishes to occupy. She wants to be at range 5 from range 4? use gale blade, hit the opponent, and move one space back getting back a gale blade so you can pester your opponents some more.

In effect, zoey is capable of moving in and out of her ranges at will(almost). And that is why this is a 4.

Special Attacks: 5

Zoey has excellent special moves. I go into detail about her specials below so there isnt much reason for me to go into this.

Supers: 5

Her Supers compliment each other quite well. But again, I explain this below.

Strength of boosts: 3

Zoey has some alright boosts but none of her boosts really help her much with combat. However, her boosts do allow her to not rely on hitting her moves to build gauge. This is really good and her boosts do compliment her style of play. For this reason, they are a 3.

Do not be fooled by some of the lower stats that I gave her, she is a very powerful character and capable of winning just about any match up if played properly.

EX Attack Usage: 0
There is almost 0 reason to ever use EX attacks with Zoey. Don’t bother. The advantage gained by them is negligible at best.

Zoey’s Card Analysis

Zoey’s offense can be quite oppressive against certain characters. Mainly those who are not particularly strong at playing ranged combat. In these match ups, Gale blade will be your primary card at ranges 4~5.

The Primary use of Gale Blade is offensive, though it can be used on defense, you really want to build momentum and this card is excellent for that. If you managed to have 2 of these and you hit your opponent at range 4. You can move to range 5 and then be set up to use another gale blade.

The reason I do not suggest Gale Blade at range 3 on defense is because of assault. At range 3, Zoey is quite weak to assault so its better to fight outside of the range of that card. For this reason, I would not recommend using Gale Blade at range 3 on defense.

If you can stick with the ranged combat with Zoey, this is really the only attack you need. A strong tactic for this card is to “Protect” it from your opponent. I mean “Making it difficult for your opponent to take it from you.”

Here is how “Protecting” Works.

1. Exceed Early as possible.
2. Have a copy / Both of this card in your gauge.
A. If you have a copy of this card in your hand and one in your graveyard, that will still get one of these cards into your gauge when you attack your opponent correctly.
B. If you have both copies of this card in your graveyard, there isn’t much you can do as you can not retrieve cards from your graveyard. However, a well placed reshuffle action could allow this tactic to become live.

Why this tactic works?

You want to keep your opponent unable to get rid of all copies of your cards with a [Parry] Boost. Moreover, in certain discard heavy matchups like Satoshi and Morathi, you want your cards in your gauge so that when they are discarding cards from your hand, they cannot take them from your gauge. In effect, you are “Protecting” them for later.

This tactic however is quite weak to Nehtali because she can actually destroy the targeted cards in your gauge. Baelkhor with a few well placed attacks can also strip this combo from you by sealing your cards when he hits them (removing them from the game).

When playing Zoey, think of your gauge as hand #2. You want to keep it well stocked with cards you will want again for later. Another way of looking at it is that your gauge is also the most protected in play zone. So few cards and characters actually can affect the gauge so in many aspects, its the safest place to have your cards for when you need them.

Please note, “Protecting” your cards works with all of your cards, not just gale blade. It works especially well with guard because while you are in exceed mode, you are able to recur your guards as many times as you need to in order to make it difficult for your opponent to kill you without having moves that allow them to ignore armor.

[Returning Weapon] Boost is a pretty good all around boost. You can use this to set up mind games with your opponent. They see you pick up that card and they waste their [Parry] Boost on getting rid of it. That just means that you get to keep your real card for later. Primarily, try to reserve this boost for your super moves.

Sure you can! (Har har) is a very quick and very annoying move when repeated against slower opponents. It has a built in defense against opponents using [Focus] attack against it by allowing her to move 2 spaces and when properly protected, it can be used to just dominate at close range. Being 7 speed means that only certain Ultra Attacks and Grasp can tie with it (if the opponent is attacking.) On Defense, this is a really strong move as well, and it can disrupt a lot of your opponents plans.

The primary use of this card should be disruption. Harassing your opponent with this card repeatedly is not only frustrating but it also positions you to be within range of “Gale Blade” if you are near the middle of the playing zone.

The boost effect of this card is rather situational but it is a decent boost if you don’t like the cards in your gauge. This can help you enable your reshuffle action earlier as well.

Gut Shot is very situational at best. In most Match ups, you will just use its boost effect. But in the few match ups that you will use this card for combat purposes, it can be a good move to deal with cards like Spike and Dive.

The primary use of this card other than its boost effect is to use this attack against slower characters. Against faster characters, this card doesn’t do very much but against slower characters, you may be able to stun them using this and gain the upper hand.

[Focused] is a solid boost that gives Zoey a power bonus. Something that she is in desperate need of as many of her cards dont do above 3 total damage.

Maori Defender at range 2 is a money maker. This card is very strong at range 2 as it beats a lot of your opponents options.

Did your opponent use spike?(why they would do this is beyond me) but if they did, you move to range 4 and get away.

Did your opponent try to use a defensive cross? You tie so your gonna win as the attacker. Did your opponent try to sweep you? You evade and hit them for 3 damage.

This card also has the added bonus of giving you the ability to play a boost from your hand. [Parry] Boost to get cards out of your opponents hand? No problem! Want some extra speed during your opponents turn? Cool! Play [Light] boost. It doesn’t get discarded after the strike. This card is surprisingly aggressive regardless of its name. But it does allow you to set up for your opponents turn so I suppose the name is accurate haha.

Focus Charge is an interesting attack. Primarily good in combination with effects like the [Defend] Boost. But generally, I almost always use this card for its boost effect.

The boost effect of this card is one of the best ways to get Zoey leveled up early. Actually, it IS the best way to get zoey leveled up early. However, please be mindful when using it that you will be giving up some serious tempo if you play this boost incorrectly because you will have a very low hand size and may have to resort to wild swings. However, this boost is an enabler and its the perfect card to round out Zoey.

Tsunami Slicer is a pretty good attack. It does 4 damage so thats nice because Zoey isn’t a damaging power house and it has range 1-4. It is also only 2 cost so it is a great way to enable getting back the cards in your gauge when you are in exceed mode.

The Hit effect of this card may feel a bit iffy but it surprisingly is really good. Though I feel the only purpose of using this super is while you are in exceed mode where you can reap the biggest reward. Otherwise, using this could feel like a complete waste of meter.

The [Rejuvenation] Boost feels a bit misplaced? But It is a can help with life swings because Zoey will very likely be taking a massive amount of damage from her opponents so the regaining life is something that could help in certain match ups. I would only really use this boost off of Maori Defender. I wouldn’t recommend burning your turn to play this card as a boost.

Neo Cosmic Flare is your finishing move. This card when set up properly is a one hit wonder. Make one strong read? Opponent takes up to 13 damage! This card requires a lot of resources though so its best to make sure you are as set up as possible before using it. Some players may want to set up their entire game plan around landing this super but I believe that this super is more of a supplementary strategy then a primary one.

Don’t go looking to land this card early in the game, quite the contrary, you should be looking to land this card much later in the game when players life totals are lower.
The boost effect is good for the early game as well since you get to draw cards and add a card to your gauge.

Zoey’s special moves are a very great and complimentary set of moves that allows her to play her game and play it well. While she may be weak to people parrying her cards away, she is resistant to many things because of her ability to “protect” her cards.

Zoey’s Tips and Tricks

These are some of the things that you can keep in mind when you are playing Zoey.

1. Disrupt your opponent! This should be your primary game plan when using Zoey. Because of her low damage, she isn’t going to be hitting people for a massive amount but you do have fast moves so you can in many cases move in and out of your opponents range.

2. Try to avoid using the Movement turn action if possible. As you have a lot of moves that will move for you, try not to use this option as much as possible unless you absolutely need to. Your turns should be setting up by harassing your opponent with moves like “Gale Blade” and “Sure you can!”

3. Keep at least 1 “Gale Blade” or “Sure you can!” in your gauge. As these are your primary disruption tools, you want to make sure you have access to them at all times! Keeping them in your gauge helps ensure that you have access to them when you need them.

4. Mid to late game, Always threaten with Neo Cosmic Flare! This one can be a little difficult to enforce but I will give you a few tricks you can use to do this.

A. Scenario: You have 8 or more gauge and your opponent has 11 HP

This can work with 7 because if you have 5 cards in your hand, you can charge Neo Cosmic Flare to lethal. Your opponent has to constantly be mindful of this and many times will try to set up against it. This situation automatically threatens your opponent because you can kill them in a single shot. In many cases, your opponent will hold on to guard so that they are able to block against it but this you can use against them by forcing them to have to deal with an equally powerful threat. This threat is Tsunami Slicer or Gut Shot. For the purposes of this, I would recommend Tsunami Slicer because it is a faster move.

When you attack your opponent and they attempt to guard to avoid taking damage, You can use tsunami slicer to give you advantage. Then you can let loose the real threat!

B. Scenario: Mid to late game

You do not have to always have your opponent in kill range to threaten Neo Cosmic Flare. You can use it as a way of punishing obvious plays your opponent may make. This makes this attack much harder to read and ultimately forces your opponent to have to think harder about when you will let the flare go!

5. Do not be afraid to use Neo Cosmic Flare early game. This kinda contradicts my earlier point as I don’t think you should use this attack until later in the game, However there are some situations that you could use this attack early game to get some early damage. I would really recommend against this course of action but against characters like Vincent, this can be a solid tactic. (I will go over this more in the MU section.)

6. Pay attention to your resources! In some ways, Zoey can be quite Mathematical. How much gauge do I need to spend here, should I place X cards back into my hand when using this move / boost etc. Simply stated, just be mindful of the cards in your gauge.

Fighting Against Zoey

In this section, I will explain how someone who is unfamilar with Zoey can learn to fight against her. Please note that this section could be ever expanding and somethings could change depending on how the meta of her character evolves. Alot of this information is also going to be base stats related and not based on boost effects or other such increases.

1. Pay attention to her gauge. This is more of a general rule but for Zoey, it is very important because remember that her gauge is basically her second hand.

2. Ask yourself “Can I stun her”. If you are capable of out speeding and stunning zoey, you should do your best to do so. If you stun Zoey, and she somehow was attacking second she does not get to use her return ability on her character card.

3. Use Assault at range 3 vs her. Assault at range 3 on the attack is very strong vs her because the only move that she has that can beat it at that range is Tsunami Slicer as it has 6 speed. This is an MU where assault is very strong and you should use that to your advantage (ha). This does not mean “Always” use assault vs her. It’s just a really strong option.

4. Use slow Advancing attacks. If you have attacks that allow you to move forward and have high guard, these are the best attacks you can use Vs zoey. Vincent can simply walk through Zoey’s gameplan and set himself up to sit right in her face. Gabrek and Morathi have similar capabilities.

Zoey’s Matchups

Here I will go into a few of Zoey’s MU’s. Please understand I will not be going over every single MU. Instead, I will be going over what her worst matchups are and how she can fight against them.

Ulrik

This MU can be down right messy in the hands of a strong Ulrik player. His character ability allows him to move in and out of your attack ranges with relative ease and not to mention he actually outshines you at range 5.

Lightning Javelin is incredibly difficult for Zoey to overcome at her ideal ranges. It has 6 speed which means it beats your Gale Blade and it also has ignore armor as well though that doesn’t matter as much vs Zoey as she has no armored special moves.

Blitz Hammer works in a very similar fashion to assault as it advances 2 spaces. Combined with his already existing ability to move before he strikes, Ulrik can move up to 3 spaces (or 4) with his Exceed mode and get in side of your zoning rather easily.

Now you may wonder why I put inevitability here. The reason that this card is here is not because of the attack but actually because of the boost. Once this boost comes out, your ability to defeat Ulrik in combat becomes incredibly difficult. Sure you can! and Focus charge essentially become useless cards vs him because they both only hit at range 1. And since Zoey has no way of increasing her range, A well timed Arc Impulse could seriously hamper your changes of winning this MU.

As for the attack itself? This attack really hurts zoey because it is yet another card that ignores armor, so this prevents her from relying on her guard loop at any range.

At a glimpse, this attack may not seem like a significant threat to Zoey and in may cases, it isn’t. But I feel that it is worth mentioning for several reasons.

1. this attack ignores guard. So in effect, it makes your Focus worthless.
2. It has a pretty powerful late game boost that you have to aware of in combination with Lightning Javelin and Inevitability

This… Ultra… HURTS. This ultra is yet another tool that Ulrik has to shut down your guard loop. It practically reads “Gain an additional turn”. Nothing zoey has is going to outspeed this move and to make it worse, unless you have a Sweep or Spike on hand, you wont be punishing this move either.

How to fight against Ulrik.

Fight at range 1 / 2. You have much faster moves than Ulrik does at this range so you can use your Sure you can! and Focus Charge to stuff his attacks before they come out. You don’t actually want to play the aggressor in this MU, you want to play the defender, keeping your Grasp and Sure you can available to disrupt Ulrik up close game. Of course, remember the ranges in which he can attack you from. Most of his more powerful moves are from range 1. So if he is attacking from range 1, try to have either of those options available to you.

Something else you can do is try to hold on to your dives. If the Ulrik player is has his arc impulse boost in play, you can discard that boost. Though I would say it isn’t your primary objective.

Priority on cards to [Parry] (please note that these are very situational and depend on your opponent and their play style)

1. Lightning Javelin
2. Inevitability
3. Second Strike
4. Blitz Hammer / Assault

If you parry these cards away, being able to play your ranged game becomes a lot more manageable.

Alice

This MU plays out exactly as it should, with you losing it haha. Alice is probably Zoey’s worst Matchup.

Alice’s Exceed is the bane of your existence. It makes it in effect, your zoning options obsolete. Gale Blade after Alice exceeds is basically like throwing paper into the ocean and expecting the people to dry up the ocean. In other words, its practically worthless.

Soul Gazer is incredibly powerful vs Zoey, as your attacks have very little to no guard, this move will very likely stun you without a [defend] boost in play and she will get to take an additional turn. The really irritating part of this card is the fact that you can move into a better position with it as you are gaining advantage.

The Boost on this card isn’t anything to really right home about as the attack itself is good enough, but in some situations it could be good as a redundant effect in the early game against you to prevent you from setting up Gale Blade Shenanigans.

This attack is really strong against you as well because it allows alice to dictate where you are going to be. One of the recurring themes of alice is that at range she is capable of pounding you with a ton of advantage. This card allows her to manipulate your space AND take advantage.

The boost here is also really powerful because it is capable of allowing alice to attack through your close range disruption.

During exceed mode, this attack basically screams “Sorry, better luck next time”

At range 2, this move because a viable option to not only move out of range of zoey’s disruption but allows Alice to be right in maximum range to avoid being hit by Zoey attempting to predict her move.

This boost actually really helps Alice a great deal in many match ups and this is no exception, allowing her to shut you down at range 5 which is the maximum range of your gale blade.

This cards name is appropriately titled. While Alice is playing her ranged game, she can bait Zoey into performing using gale blade at range 5 and after that BOOM. Spring this on Zoey and she get to take a massive 9 to the face.

The boost effect allows Alice to escape the corner (which is where you want her to be.)

Cross Blades is more used for its boost effect in this MU then the attack. The attack is pretty good if you make a great read but again, the Alice player will more than likely hold on to this for its boost effect.

How to fight Alice

Prior to her using her Exceed mode, this match up is incredibly winnable for Zoey. Put pressure on and force alice into difficult decisions. Unlike against Ulrik, in this MU’ you wanna be the aggressor. Try to beat Alice before she can get to her exceed mode.

Your all Star move in this MU is Focus Charge. It allows you to close the gap against Alice and if you are already up close, you can use this to help push her into the corner. Which is exactly where you want her to be.

Priority on cards to [Parry] (please note that these are very situational and depend on your opponent and their play style)
1. Cross Blades (You wanna get this boost out of their hand if possible)
2. Bloody Baptism / Soul Gazer
3. Surprise Punishment
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Pickens
United States
flag msg tools
well did have images but i guess i cannot upload them =(. I will try something else!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
8 gauge? Is that a thing that happens?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron White
Australia
Bathurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Bennett from Brawl
badge
Slow and Thoughtful
mbmbmbmbmb
grasa_total wrote:
8 gauge? Is that a thing that happens?

It gets worse. In EX mode any gauge spent goes to her hand first. So for her Ultra that converts force into power, she can convert gauge into force which goes to her hand, then she can spend cards from her hand as force. It gets pretty crazy.

I love that even with all the crazy she does not feel unfair. She can just do some cool things. Baelkhor is my new favourite and he can get ridiculous really fast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
In EX mode any gauge spent goes to her hand first. So for her Ultra that converts force into power, she can convert gauge into force which goes to her hand, then she can spend cards from her hand as force.

It was clarified to me in chat that all the Force must be provided at the same time, so while the same card can be spent twice (once from Gauge and once from hand) they cannot be spent twice for the same effect.

In other words, you expend any cards you wish to gain Force. Then Zoey's EXCEED ability resolves, and any cards that you spend from Gauge go into your hand instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Pickens
United States
flag msg tools
That is correct. Actually I think i was the one who told you that lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Condon
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a game against her recently and she kept spamming the same move I didn't have an answer for. I was like... really?

Don't get caught against her with low cards in hand. That stuff hurts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Pickens
United States
flag msg tools
what card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron White
Australia
Bathurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Bennett from Brawl
badge
Slow and Thoughtful
mbmbmbmbmb
roufus wrote:
I had a game against her recently and she kept spamming the same move I didn't have an answer for. I was like... really?

Don't get caught against her with low cards in hand. That stuff hurts.

Her and Reese. :o

Actually, low hand in Exceed is bad mmkay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.