Subject: Custom Villain: Dr. Wondertainment! (SCP) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Take Walker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sentinel Card Production is a Sentinels of the Multiverse/SCP Foundation crossover custom deck-building project. Bringing you the very best of the very weird!

After a lot of refining, I'm pleased to unveil my first good-enough-to-unveil SCP-themed deck over here, Dr. Wondertainment! Note that this deck has only been tested against other custom decks, so this is in no way a final version.

For those new to the Foundationverse, the good Doctor is something of a mad Willy Wonka of toys, a man/woman/organization/robot/??? capable of bending the laws of reality, who uses these godlike powers for the sole purpose of entertaining children. Sure, sometimes this means twisting adults into unstable facsimiles of actual people, and sometimes the toys can be dangerous if used improperly, but that's why Dr. Wondertainment's Legal Wonder-Team™ exists! Always read the warning labels, kids!

You can learn more about Dr. Wondertainment here. Kind of. It's not exactly organized. :B

Villain: Dr. Wondertainment

Thanks to Adelphophage and tosx for feedback!

Nemesis: Mister Redd

Eccentric Toymaker (70 HP)
Setup:
At the start of the game, put Dr. Wondertainment into play, Eccentric Toymaker side up. Reveal cards from the villain deck until (H)-1 Toys and (H)-2 Little Misters are revealed and put them into play. Shuffle the villain deck.

Game Play: At the end of the villain turn, if there are (H) or more Little Mister cards in play, flip this card. Otherwise, play the top card of the villain deck.

His front side is very simple: play, play, play. His goal is to overwhelm the heroes with soft targets before flipping and becoming Mister Collector. I've found he flips very easily when H = 3.

Advanced: At the start of the game, put Scarf into play. When Scarf is destroyed, Dr. Wondertainment deals each hero (H)+1 melee damage instead.

Do not hurt Scarf.

Mister Collector (Little Mister, 70 HP)
Game Play:
When this card is flipped to this side, remove all Little Misters from containment and put them into play. Then destroy (H) hero non-character cards and place them under this card. Then place the top card of each hero deck under this card.
At the start of the villain turn, if there are no cards under this card, the heroes win. Otherwise, destroy a non-character hero card and place it under this card.
Whenever a Little Mister would be destroyed, restore it to 5 HP and move a card under this card to the appropriate trash. Whenever a villain target other than a Little Mister would be played, place it under this card instead, then play the top card of the villain deck.
Little Misters are immune to damage dealt by villain targets and cannot be contained.

Considerably more complex when flipped. First, he hoovers up cards in play, then sucks more off the hero decks; this is to make sure he actually gets to have cards underneath himself, if there aren't enough in play. Instead of playing cards, he's now trying to keep them, and he can build a pretty large number in a hurry if his deck is full of Toys still. The Little Misters take the place of La Capitan: beating them up gets the number of cards down, but they can't be killed. The bits about containment are meant to prevent synergy with an environment I'm working on.

Advanced: Reduce damage dealt to Little Misters by 1.

(3) Jeremy (Corgi Assistant, 3 HP): At the start of the villain turn, play the top card of the villain deck. When Jeremy is destroyed, Dr. Wondertainment deals each hero 1 psychic damage.

Miss Emma Aislethorpe-Brown (Non-Corgi Assistant, 10 HP): Reduce damage dealt to this card by 1. The first time Dr. Wondertainment or this card would be dealt damage each turn, this card deals the source of that damage (H)-1 melee damage.

Miss Emma is nothing if not efficient. She takes her job very seriously, and that job is protecting the good Doctor.

(3) Product Recall (One-Shot): Remove all Toys and Little Misters from the villain trash. Place one of each into play and shuffle the rest into the villain deck. If no cards were played this way, play the top card of the villain deck.

One of two ways for Mister Collector to get Toys into play. This is a much more reasonable version of the original card, since the heroes can choose what to put into play. Of course, if they don't have much in the way of a choice...

SCP-111: Dr. Wondertainment's Dragon-Snails™ (Safe Object, Toy, * HP): At the end of the villain turn, this card deals the non-villain target with the second-lowest HP X fire damage, where X = this card's current HP. * on this card = (H)-1.

Now we get to the meat of the deck! The cards are listed in SCP object order; don't worry about that too much, it's just there for flavor and likely won't appear on the cards. Also don't worry about the ridiculously long card names; they are also for flavor. They only get more ridiculous!

SCP-609: Dr. Wondertainment's Ontological 6-Ball™ (Keter Object, Toy, 3 HP): This card is immune to non-psychic damage. Whenever psychic damage is dealt to a target, this card deals the target with the second-highest HP 2 melee damage.

This thing is nasty. There are a few ways Dr. W has to set it off, but if nothing hits it, it stays pretty placid. Just don't kill any Jeremies while it's out!

SCP-846: Robo-Dude® (Safe Object, Toy, 4 HP): At the end of the villain turn, this card deals the hero with the most cards in play 1 fire, 1 projectile and 1 toxic damage.

SCP-905: Mr. Chameleon (Safe Object, Little Mister, 5 HP): When this card enters play, it is immune to radiant damage. Whenever Mr. Chameleon is dealt a different type of damage, his damage immunity changes to that type. At the end of the villain turn, Mr. Chameleon deals the hero target with the highest HP 1 irreducible damage of the type he is immune to.

A little complicated, but basically Mr. C is always immune to one damage type, a la Omnitron's Adaptive Plating. The damage he deals is based on his immunity, meaning the heroes can perchance manipulate him into leaving them alone!

SCP-909: Mr. Forgetful (Euclid Object, Little Mister, 5 HP): At the end of the villain turn, reveal the top card of one hero deck. Each player discards one card sharing one of the revealed card's keywords. Discard the revealed card.

Mr. Forgetful is based off Miss Information's "Missing Resources" card, though he's not nearly as bad. He can still be a real pain in the ass, though, especially while Mister Collector is out.

SCP-920: Mr. Lost (Euclid Object, Little Mister, 5 HP): At the end of the villain turn, destroy a hero ongoing or equipment card. When this card is dealt damage by a hero target, destroy a non-character card belonging to that target's deck. When this card is destroyed, destroy a hero ongoing or equipment card.

The original Mr. Lost played like Miss Information's Isolated Hero card. This version is far less wordier, if also far less thematic. He's still a tough customer, though. You gotta make those hits count!

SCP-949: Wondertainment Land® (Safe Object, Ongoing): At the start of the villain turn, play the top card of the villain deck. If the card played was not a Toy, discard the top card of the villain deck.

The discard is meant to synergize with the other villain Ongoing. This is the second way Mister Collector can get Toys into play.

SCP-958: General-Beep® (Safe Object, Toy, 4 HP): Increase damage dealt by Toys by 1. Increase damage dealt to environment targets by 1.

General Beep was designed to destroy the Factory, and since I'm planning on making a Factory environment deck later on, his Sentinels incarnation hates the environment! Shame on you, General Beep, you're destroying the planet!

SCP-1007: Mr. Life and Mr. Death (Safe Object, Little Mister, 5 HP): When this card is dealt damage, reduce that damage to 1. The first time a Little Mister other than this card would be dealt damage each turn, redirect that damage to this card. If this card is in play at the same time as Mister Collector, it deals each target 1 infernal damage, then place this card under Mister Collector.

No card has undergone more changes than this one. To wit, he was originally Mr. Moon. But a series of change removing his odd/even damage immunity, then DR, then going, 'Why is this even Mr. Moon?' have led us here, to a point where he's actually beatable, if something of a pain to have around. His end clause is to keep him from being too much of a pain when Mister Collector is out; you want to be able to beat up those Misters, after all!

SCP-1068: The Atom Buster® (Safe Object, Toy): The Atom Buster cannot be one of the initial Toys at the start of the game. When this card enters play, one player may destroy an equipment card to place it on the bottom of the villain deck. At the end of the villain turn, this card deals each hero target 2 radiant and 1 sonic damage. Then destroy this card.

This thing kinda sucks to have around (I find it always gets played by a Jeremy or something, then blows up), but believe me when I say the original version was worse! The line at the front comes from Citizen Dare; it's a good idea not to take lots of damage at the start of the game!

SCP-1194: Dr. Wondertainment's Wonder-Pony!™ (Safe Object, Toy, 8 HP): When this card enters play, place it next to the hero with the second-lowest HP. At the end of the villain turn, this card deals itself 2 irreducible toxic damage. If this card does not regain HP during that hero's turn, that hero may not draw cards during their draw phase. When this card is destroyed, the hero it was placed next to deals themself (H) irreducible psychic damage. If the hero next to this card is incapacitated, destroy this card. Power: Dr. Wondertainment's Wonder-Pony!™ regains 2 HP.

That may be too much card text. :( I really hate this thing, and I'm the one who designed it!

SCP-1544: Dr. Wondertainment's Slinktastic Danceriffic Rainbow Friend!™ (Safe Object, Toy, 8 HP): Reduce damage dealt to this card by 1. At the end of the villain turn, this card deals the hero targets with the second-highest and second-lowest HP and the hero with the most cards in play HP 2 melee damage each.

Actually, I may hate this more than the Wonder-Pony. At least that has the decency to slowly kill itself. The goofy target selection makes this a good bit more interesting to have around than it used to be, but it might still have too many HP. It tends to stick around for long periods of time.

SCP-1799: Mr. Laugh (Safe Object, Little Mister, 5 HP): Damage dealt by this card cannot be redirected. At the end of the villain turn, this card deals the hero with the fewest cards in play and itself 1 projectile damage each.

Poor Mr. Laugh is suicidal. :( Lack of redirection keeps him from shooting Mr. Life and Mr. Death.

SCP-1908: Mr. Soap (Euclid Object, Little Mister, 5 HP): At the end of the villain turn, select the hero with the most cards in play. Damage dealt to that target is irreducible until the start of the villain turn.

Mr. Soap is kind of useless, except in those cases where you're really counting on someone's DR to keep them alive. His target selection increases the chances of selecting a hero with actual DR ongoings in play.

SCP-2428: Mr. Mad (Safe Object, Little Mister, 5 HP): This card is immune to melee and projectile damage. When this card enters play, place it next to the hero with the fewest cards in hand. All damage dealt by that hero is irreducible. At the start of the villain turn, that hero deals themself 1 psychic damage. If that hero is incapacitated, move this card next to the hero with the fewest cards in hand.

Mr. Mad is the one Mister who can actually help the heroes. Granted, it's not a huge help and could be a detriment, but he tries, okay?

SCP-2445: Wondertainment Logistics Co. (Safe Object, Ongoing): At the start of the villain turn, put a random Toy from the villain trash into play. If no card enters play this way, play the top card of the villain deck.

This card is why having random cards discarded off the top of the deck is useful. The third and final way for Mister Collector to get Toys in play.

SCP-2933: Mr. Scary (Euclid Object, Little Mister, 5 HP): Reduce damage other than toxic dealt to this card by 1. At the end of the villain turn, this card deals itself and each non-villain target 1 sonic and 1 toxic damage. When this card is destroyed, destroy the non-character hero target with the lowest HP.

He's not that scary, but the rust does get to him as much as anyone.

SCP-2991: Scarf (Safe Object, Toy, 1 HP): At the end of the villain turn, Dr. Wondertainment regains (H) HP and each non-character target regains 1 HP. When this card is destroyed, Dr. Wondertainment deals the hero with the highest HP (H)+1 melee damage.

DO NOT HURT SCARF. >:( I had to put Scarf in this deck because Scarf is the best. I find that the retaliation damage is often something that can be turned to heroes' advantage. Just watch out for Mr. Life and Mr. Death while Mister Collector is in play!

There you have it! Next up, get the variant working! :V
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hunter
New Zealand
flag msg tools
I can't say I'm familiar with SCP, but this seems like an interesting, madcap and very verbose villain! I'm particularly interested in what the art for a Dragon-Snail would look like! There's clearly plenty to depth to this villain, but off the top of my head (and obviously I've not played it), but it seems like there is a lot of complexity.

Many of the individual cards have very interesting designs (I like the 8-ball, Chameleon, Scarf and Atom Buster especially), and I like how they tell little mechanical stories - but I'd worry that as he spams lots of small but complex targets onto the board, the overall complexity would get into brain freeze territory pretty fast!

Say in a 4 player game, at the end of the first turn I'm likely looking at 7 targets on the board. Some of them do stuff at the start of turn, some at the end of turn, some during the turn of the hero they're by, some when someone deals damage to them (but only if it's NOT of a certain type), some when someone deals damage to someone else (but only if it IS of a certain type). When each one is doing a few different things that is a hell of a lot to keep track of! I can really see myself playing this villain wrong by missing triggers or effects a whole bunch of times.

Mr Mad as an example has a LOT going on - he makes me deal irreducible (which matters infrequently enough I might forget it from turn to turn), AND he makes me punch myself at a certain time AND he also redirects damage from him to me, BUT only if it's a certain type of damage. That's doing three quite distinct things (one static, one triggered at a certain time of turn, one triggered in response to damage of a specific subset) on a single low HP card that's likely only going to be on the board a turn or two. On a single card you read in a single paragraph this all seems fine, but a half dozen cards with this complexity would probably be too much for me to keep track of.

Likewise Mister Lost. When he is dealt damage he does a rather weird mechanical thing in making you not get affected by/affect other players (that then you have to remember is applied for a turn without any on-board reminder, and then that it ends a certain time) and then at the start of the turn (unlike most of the other Misters who are End of turn) he does a thing, or a different thing based on if the effect I may or may not have forgotten was applied still exists.

I would suggest maybe some streamlining of individual cards (for example, does Mad really need the redirection? Does Beep need to deal damage? Does Mr Laugh need to dodge redirection when he does pretty trivial damage anyway?) - generally things are more easily remembered and understood when they do one thing or at worst two things closely related to eachother. Alternately, maybe some cycling? For example, all the Misters do SOMETHING at the end of villain turn, except Mad who does something at the start. If this would move to the end it would make him marginally more powerful but would also make it easier for the player to parse, you'd know at the end of turn check all the Misters for whatever it is they do.

I don't mean to seem critical - lord knows I've done the same thing. When you spend a long time developing the cards so you take for granted how they work, internalizing all that complexity, but to someone who isn't as familiar as you are it is a mind-melter. Maybe my tolerance for complexity is lower than the average, but for me while I love most of the individual cards, the villain seems like he would be dealing me major psychic damage, if you know what I mean

PS:Also in the interests of easily scanning the board, the card names all starting with SCP-XXXX makes them harder to easily tell apart at a glance (admittedly, art helps with identification a lot too), maybe if the SCP designation was in the card type, or the flavour text? This would also give you more space to fit in the often rather large card names in the title bar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bishop
United States
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
Not unrelated to Adelphophage's comments, you might reconsider your text lengths. Depends on your eventual goal, but you'd be hard-put to fit these into standard Sentinel cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take Walker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Adelphophage wrote:
I'm particularly interested in what the art for a Dragon-Snail would look like!

You can find out here!

Adelphophage wrote:
I'd worry that as he spams lots of small but complex targets onto the board, the overall complexity would get into brain freeze territory pretty fast!

It certainly depends on how you run your games. If you've got those markers that designate beginning and end of turn effects, for instance (or if these were ever printed with colored text for the same), that helps a ton.

Adelphophage wrote:
Mr Mad as an example has a LOT going on

I find the "play by hero" cards are the ones that are hardest to keep track of (usually there's a muttered "And the Wonder-Pony hurts itself" sometime during the first hero turn). Even before you said it, I was thinking Mr. Mad's redirection might not be necessary. I've yet to play a game where that actually comes into effect, and while I'm right now going for theme over simplicity/efficacy, the "he's a hallucination" bit might be a good spot to excise a few lines of text.

Adelphophage wrote:
Likewise Mister Lost.

In designing this deck, I've been limited by what Misters actually exist, and which ones I want to include. While I have an ongoing note to myself to maybe replace someone with Mr. Money down the line, I don't want to include, say, Mr. Fish, who does nothing. Mr. Lost is one of my favorites, but implementing him as a card has been difficult.

Adelphophage wrote:
Does Beep need to deal damage?

Originally, he did not! It might be worth taking out, considering how disgusting he makes some cards (I'm looking at you, Robo-Dude).

Adelphophage wrote:
Does Mr Laugh need to dodge redirection when he does pretty trivial damage anyway?

It's there to keep him from hitting Mr. Life and Death. Granted, Mr. Scary doesn't afford him the same courtesy, but that's why he's Mr. Scary. (I could make Mr. L&D immune to villain damage, though...)

Adelphophage wrote:
I don't mean to seem critical

No, this is good, this is my first time really trying to get feedback on this deck. (There's all of one person on the SCP Wiki who's into Sentinels.)

Adelphophage wrote:
PS:Also in the interests of easily scanning the board, the card names all starting with SCP-XXXX makes them harder to easily tell apart at a glance

The designations are not going to be in the card titles. If they're on the card anywhere, it would be... Well, elsewhere. Of course, that's the least of my worries vis-a-vis what tosx says above. I mean, how the heck are you gonna fit "Slinktastic Danceriffic Wonder-Friend" in there? XD

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take Walker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Changelog 8/26/16
- Fixed a typo.
- Removed General-Beep's damage dealing.
- Mr. Mad's redirection changed to pure immunity, at the risk of not reducing the card text.
- Scarf is now considerably less helpful to the heroes and considerably more helpful to the villains. He still wants all his little friends to be happy, though. Do not hurt Scarf.
- Future: Finish playtesting variant and post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take Walker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Changelog 10/3/16:
- Dr. Wondertainment's HP increased by 10 to a happy medium between where it was and where it used to be.
- Further interaction with eventual SCP environment deck considered.
- Miss Emma plays more simply and is a more credible threat.
- New, improved, and considerably less wordy Mr. Lost.
- New and improved Atom Buster.
- Slight change to Mr. Soap.
- Future: Needs more playtesting on the flip side.
- Future: Finish playtesting variant and post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.