Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Schindler
United States
Lombard
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just curious if anyone had a chance to demo this at Gen Con. I'm a big fan of 13 Days and was wondering what this brings to the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad vanVugt
United States
Baltimore
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Didn't play it at Gen Con, but we've had a PnP for a couple months now and have played it several times.

It's feels very similar in core mechanics and in the brinkmanship aspect to 13 Days but very different in strategy. Each player only has 5 turns in the game, influence cubes are extremely limited, and the battlegrounds are represented by the cards that are played each turn so the expanse of the game board grows each round. It can be a difficult balancing act controlling battlegrounds while not letting your player area become overrun with them. Battlegrounds where influence is tied, even if that influence amount is zero, score you points if they reside in your sphere of influence. Additionally, each battleground has one of three different colored DEFCON symbols (which match the three different types of battlegrounds from 13 Days) and having three same colored symbols in your sphere at the end of the game triggers nuclear war and causes you to lose. So while you're inclined to want to have as many battlegrounds as you can within your sphere, you do have to be very careful with where you place your played cards and where you spread your influence

I do miss some of the bluffing that 13 Days contains that isn't present in 13 Minutes as the latter game lacks Agendas. I really enjoy the balancing of controlling as many of those tied areas as possible to score maximum points while also dancing around setting off the DEFCON condition after the game ends. Clever players can also use the DEFCON symbols to potentially force their opponents into difficult positions late in the last turn or two.

To me the most impressive things about 13 Minutes is that, much like its big brother, it presents you with some very tough decisions and offers depth not usually seen in a microgame.

Hopefully that helps you out a little bit. If I may shamelessly self-promote a little, there are more in-depth impressions from my wife and me in a recent episode of our podcast which you can find here

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Schindler
United States
Lombard
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so much! This is helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.