Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Raleigh of Borg
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Trek Attack Wing 2.0
The goal is to add a bit more trekkie tactics, but not bog the game down and hopefully most cards and upgrades can still be used. All other wording and restrictions apply to these bonus abilities. Each may only be used once unless specified otherwise.

There are three changes. Full Stop, Power Distribution, and Thrusters or Auxiliary weapons for all ships depending on hull size.
Full Stop - Every Ship can Full Stop at the start of the Command phase. Flip the ship's maneuver dial face up and declare a full stop. If the ship moved 3 or more in the previous turn it gains a Aux token. A ship in Full Stop may not maneuver, boost, cloak, sensor echo or take an evade action.
Shield Facings-Each ship gets its number of shields for each facing.
a. Place shields around edge of ship card on corresponding sides.
b. Shield facings are drawn from corner of the base to peg.
c. Draw attacks from closet point to closet point as normal and apply damage to that shield facing.
d. If the attack hits a side with no shields, apply damage to the hull as normal.
e. If an attack hits the corner in such a way that its hard to tell which facing, the attacker* picks. (*This is a something that needs play tested, perhaps random or the defender picks is better. Needs tested)
Power Distribution Choices
⦁ Auxiliary weapons- All ships with a hull of 4 or greater have auxiliary weapons. May fire at range 1 or 2 with a number of attack dice = to half of their primary weapon rounded down. They may still fire primary and secondary weapons as normal.
⦁ Power to Thrusters- All ships with a hull of 3 or less, and a move dial with at least one 3 or greater have Power to Thrusters. After they perform their move in the move phase, BEFORE they perform an action may Boost (1 bank, 2 straight) or Sensor echo (range 1 only).
⦁ Power to weapons- One power may be used to power a secondary weapon to fire in addition to primary (and possibly auxiliary weapons).
⦁ Full Power to...- Three power may be used to give an extra action. This extra action is taken immediately in the command phase. Resolve these in cpt skill order. No, you still cannot do the same action twice.
⦁ Rotate Shields- Pay one power to transfer any number of shields from one facing to another single facing.
Power Distribution Details- Every ship will have 3 power tokens (one sided tokens, and some fake power tokens to hide the real ones).
i. Distribute power and fake power tokens.
⦁ Place Power token on secondary weapons cards for Power to Weapons
⦁ Place Power token on the ship card to Rotate Shields.
⦁ Place Power token by the ship base base to denote Auxiliary Weapons or Power to Thrusters.
⦁ Place a single power token on the captain card to denote Full Power To... (bonus action from action bar or upgrade). This takes all three of your power for the turn even though you are only placing one token. This is to hide your power distribution choices.
i. Each point of critical damage to the ship reduces the number of power tokens by 1.
Planning Phase Changes
1. Declare Full Stop actions now.*
2. Place Power and Fake power tokens.
3. Place dials now.*
4. Reveal and perform actions if you declared "Full Power To..." now in ascending captain skill order.
5. Play the rest of the game as normal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, there are the usual concerns about shield facing rules: first, that it would slow things down and add more complexity than is worthwhile for a game of this scale, and second, that it gives massively disproportionate advantages to ships with lots of shields. For example, with good shuffling and a fair amount of luck, Voyager's shields could stop 20 points worth of damage before you hit hull; all it needs is to not take more than five per turn. A generic Negh'var, not so much.

The rest seems pretty good. It's still too many rules and potentially unbalancing factors for me to entertain it as a standard thing, but I could see running it as a scenario every once in a while.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shrouded In Mystery
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is an alternate idea to alleviate the shield facings making the game last forever:
Ships assign their total shield value in tokens to any chosen facings at the start of the game (you only get the specified amount, but may assign it to whichever facings you like).
At the start of each planning phase you may reassign remaining shields to any facings however you choose (this mimics shield redistribution and encourages prediction of enemy movement).

I might also be inclined to give all ships a flat +2 or 3 shield tokens with this variant, just to allow for a bit more coverage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Buchholz
United States
Middleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your powr distribution rules imply "3" tokens available, but I didn't actually see that listed, is 3 for every ship or is it variable (before critical hits reduce it)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Shran
msg tools
mb
I think the shield rules are too complex and too unfair. They unproportionally favor ships with high shields, it also makes Upgrades like Systems Upgrade and such much more valuable.

If I were to make similar rules about reinforcing shields on one side it would be like this:

As a free action, any ship that has active shields can place 1 Shield Token at any side of its base and then place an Aux Power token beside it. When the ship is attacked, the closest distance is determined (as by the normal rules). If this distance touches the side or a corner of the side where the Shield Token is at, that Shield Token is removed first when the ship is hit.

Power distribution is a nice idea, however I would use Auxiliary Power for this, so if you want power to weapons, take an Aux Power token. You can't distribute power if you're on Aux Power.

Full stop is a two edged sword. On the one hand it of course doesn't make sense that space ships don't have the ability to come to a full stop, on the other hand if that were possible you would just deploy mines all around you and never move. And so would the opponent, which would be a somewhat boring game.

As for 360° weapons, I always imagined two ships in combat constantly firing at each other, even if they are not in arc. Those "invisible" attacks are phaser and disruptor fire, but they don't do any relevant damage. So a ship with a forward firing arc can (and will) attack 360°, but it doesn't do damage that is relevant to the game. But that's just how I imagine it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The changes don't seem very simple to me. Not necessarily bad, but not simple. I would try one set of changes at a time, otherwise it might be difficult to determine which rules you like and which ones either cause the game to be too complex, too time consuming, or unbalance the game in some fundamental way.

For instance, let's take a simpler one, the shields. Having multiple shields is certainly not new (FASA and SFB/FC do it for decades and it's part of the show's lore). However, it WILL slow the game down and make ships last longer. The question is whether the increase in complexity to keep track of the shields and the time to power though a ship is worth it or not. It changes the game in a pretty fundamental way since now it might not be possible to "focus fire" on a ship since the various firing ships may be firing at different shields. It may make light ships (swarms) more viable. It might make big ships like the Scimitar seem un-destroyable. There are a lot of implications here that are not easy to break down without trying it in play. Even this one rule change is not simple and is quite potentially profound.

Power distribution is also a staple of previous games (FASA, SFB/FC). To one extent or another, they all do it, but it is a MAJOR time factor. It puts a lot of thought and complexity into the game by giving the player a lot more choices per ship. The number of choices you have to navigate is the principle way that games scale to give a viable fleet size. Federation Commander (FC) with its large numbers of decisions (or SFB with its HUGE numbers of decisions) limits fleet size to a few ships. Otherwise it gets too complex to play (for all the most dedicated). You might end up with a game that is good, but which is playable with only very small fleets on both sides (1-3 ships max). Or you might end up with a 3 hour average game.

Everything is a trade-off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.