15 Posts

Fields of Green» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Why build more silo's rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
tony crunch
msg tools
Hello everyone

I have seen the rahdo runtrough a couple of times and i think i really gonna like this game.

But the question that comes to my mind is why would you build a second silo ? If i understand correctly, then food has no range limitions like water and when you harvest you can do this in any order. So if you make sure your food prodution is equal to (or a least not more then 4 (max storage of a silo), the need of food by your livestock then you dont need a second silo.

I know that some cards in the game give you benefits when placed next to a silo, so that can be a reason to build more silos. but will that benefit outweigh the "sacrifice" of a card/turn in order to build the second silo ?

And if you indeed have a surplus of 4 or more in food production, have you not build a inefficient engine of food prodution/food need ? Shouldn't you have build less fields and/or more livestock ?

Whats your opinion on this ?
Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Well, one thing that comes quickly to mind is that you can sell food at market (ie. when you burn a card instead of placing it) for 2 coins each.

I'd say that could be a pretty good strategic reason for increasing your food storage capabilities, especially since you only get 3 coins to start each round after the first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gretchen Fontenay
United States
Apison
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tonycrunch wrote:
Hello everyone

I have seen the rahdo runtrough a couple of times and i think i really gonna like this game.

But the question that comes to my mind is why would you build a second silo ? If i understand correctly, then food has no range limitions like water and when you harvest you can do this in any order. So if you make sure your food prodution is equal to (or a least not more then 4 (max storage of a silo), the need of food by your livestock then you dont need a second silo.

I know that some cards in the game give you benefits when placed next to a silo, so that can be a reason to build more silos. but will that benefit outweigh the "sacrifice" of a card/turn in order to build the second silo ?

And if you indeed have a surplus of 4 or more in food production, have you not build a inefficient engine of food prodution/food need ? Shouldn't you have build less fields and/or more livestock ?

Whats your opinion on this ?
Thanks

I'll have to read the rules to be sure, but if you harvest, doesn't it have to go to a silo before you can feed it to the animals? And some of them take a lot of food! (Rabbits comes to mind)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart L

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There could be adjacency bonuses for some tiles that work better if next to a silo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As they are free to place (as I understand it), they give you an alternative to being forced to place tile you do not want to include in you farm, but are stuck with because of the draft.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois L-C
Canada
Near Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I guess sometimes the draft don't go your way that much so you need to plan to stock food a bit more until the next year. Remember that you are building you hand the way you like, but maybe the other player will choose drastically different hands and the draft would not really go your way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
In addition to selling food at market, it could be wise to have a stockpile ,in surplus of 4, to account for EVENT CARDS (new element kickstarter backers will be receiving) that might effect food production.

Also, usually food costs either money or water to produce. It could happen in some rounds that you don't have either to produce the quantity you want, so having produced a good surplus earlier will be desirable.

Remember, you start off with 15 money to start, but each turn after that you only get 3 + whatever your farm produces. Rahdo's runthrough only showed the first round, when things were the easiest. I'll be interesting to see how things develop as the game continues through the rounds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois L-C
Canada
Near Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WBuchanan wrote:
In addition to selling food at market, it could be wise to have a stockpile ,in surplus of 4, to account for EVENT CARDS (new element kickstarter backers will be receiving) that might effect food production.

Also, usually food costs either money or water to produce. It could happen in some rounds that you don't have either to produce the quantity you want, so having produced a good surplus earlier will be desirable.

Remember, you start off with 15 money to start, but each turn after that you only get 3 + whatever your farm produces. Rahdo's runthrough only should the first turn, when things were the easiest. I'll be interesting to see how things develop as the game continues through the rounds.

Good points Bill. It's not like in AtS were you get 10$ each round. So having food surplus is kind of keeping option for either future money or food for livestock in future years.

And the events is a great reason to stock food, as maybe you thought you would have enough food from your fields until a pest come and destroy you crops and thus less food production for that year but still the same amount of livestocks that need to eat. You wouldn't want all those animals to starve!?!

EDIT: I would also love to have an extended gameplay from Rahdo like usual, as a second year would have show the progression and change in the game as the time goes by. It's a shame that he didn't do one and I wonder why too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vangelis Bagiartakis
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It is very common for players to build a second silo in the game - sometimes, depending on the strategy, you may even go for more of them.

The main reason is that you get Food from various sources and not only during the Harvest phase. For example, you get 1 Food at the beginning of every year. If you were left with 4 food from the previous round, that one will go to waste (if you don't have a 2nd Silo). Another example are locations (like Potatoes and Tomatoes) that have immediate abilities and provide you with Food when you place them in your Farm.

Something you need to consider in the game is that not only do you need to make food, you must also find ways to convert it to something else (ie money through Livestock cards). Sometimes this ends up harder than it sounds. Perhaps there are not enough animals going around, or you end up building many Fields and the amount of Food they generate is higher than what you can spend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois L-C
Canada
Near Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
avyssaleos wrote:
It is very common for players to build a second silo in the game - sometimes, depending on the strategy, you may even go for more of them.

The main reason is that you get Food from various sources and not only during the Harvest phase. For example, you get 1 Food at the beginning of every year. If you were left with 4 food from the previous round, that one will go to waste (if you don't have a 2nd Silo). Another example are locations (like Potatoes and Tomatoes) that have immediate abilities and provide you with Food when you place them in your Farm.

Something you need to consider in the game is that not only do you need to make food, you must also find ways to convert it to something else (ie money through Livestock cards). Sometimes this ends up harder than it sounds. Perhaps there are not enough animals going around, or you end up building many Fields and the amount of Food they generate is higher than what you can spend.

Thanks for the inputs Vangelis!

I wanted to ask the exact number of silos and water towers as it was only indicated the total number, but I saw that when you updated the game component picture of the KS, you already did this! ευχαριστώ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tony crunch
msg tools
Thanks for all the replies This have give me a better insight of the game. Lets build those Silo's !!

@Vangelis. Can you confirm that when food is produced by your fields, it first has to be moved onto a silo before it can be transferred to your livestock ? So food cannot be moved directly from a field to livestock ?

Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vangelis Bagiartakis
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
tonycrunch wrote:
@Vangelis. Can you confirm that when food is produced by your fields, it first has to be moved onto a silo before it can be transferred to your livestock ? So food cannot be moved directly from a field to livestock ?

Correct. This is how it works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois L-C
Canada
Near Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
avyssaleos wrote:
tonycrunch wrote:

Correct. This is how it works.

But the harvest phase is still done in any order as we like. So we can empty our silos to feed our livestocks, and then fill it with food from our fields. Correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tony crunch
msg tools
Thanks for the quick answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vangelis Bagiartakis
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Cerberus777 wrote:
[q="avyssaleos"][q="tonycrunch"]But the harvest phase is still done in any order as we like. So we can empty our silos to feed our livestocks, and then fill it with food from our fields. Correct?
Correct. If you manage your resources well, you could even use a single Silo the whole game. However as I said before, there are many cases where you may end up needing more storage space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.