Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Min Nemoy
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If the End of Turn actions occur in the order listed, it appears that the player who defeats a villian would not be able to use any influence they are rewarded.

Example: Quirinus Quirrell, Game 1

During Step 3: Hero Actions. I place the 6th attack on Quirrell.

Step 4.2: Check to see if Quirrell is defeated. He is. Hooray. Receive 1 influence, but I am already past Step 3 and can't use tokens any longer.

Step 4.5: Discard tokens, including the one I just got in 4.2, hence there was no possible way for me to use my reward before it went poof.

Is this correct? Seems unfair.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mayer
United States
Perry
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I must be playing wrong then. I had always immediately resolved the defeat of the villain(s) rather than at the end of the round. I don't have the rules in front of me. Does it say to wait until the end of the round to resolve the villains defeat?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Dumas
United States
Grand Blanc
Michigan
flag msg tools
In the rules during end of turn phase you check to see if any villains have enough attack on them to be defeated. But in the back of the book under fighting and defeating villains it explains that as soon as a villain has enough to defeat them you resolve the reward immediately. You just move them to the discard location at the end of the turn and then replace them with the next villain also at the end of the turn, rewards are instant. Or at least that's how my wife and I read it and have been playing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Johansen
msg tools
Benjamin's correct. I learned the game from the staff at GenCon, and you do receive the reward immediately upon defeating the villain. What you're checking for in the End Step is whether a new villain needs to be revealed to replace a defeated one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Duncan
United States
Southfield
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RulesGuru wrote:
Benjamin's correct. I learned the game from the staff at GenCon, and you do receive the reward immediately upon defeating the villain. What you're checking for in the End Step is whether a new villain needs to be revealed to replace a defeated one.

Precisely this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Goodnight
United States
Newmarket
NH
flag msg tools
mbmb
trombonebull wrote:
In the rules during end of turn phase you check to see if any villains have enough attack on them to be defeated. But in the back of the book under fighting and defeating villains it explains that as soon as a villain has enough to defeat them you resolve the reward immediately. You just move them to the discard location at the end of the turn and then replace them with the next villain also at the end of the turn, rewards are instant. Or at least that's how my wife and I read it and have been playing it.

That's a really important distinction when it comes to locations too! We had the location filled up and defeated a villain that removes a token. From the list at the back, it looked like we lost the location, but we missed the part about getting the reward right away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Duncan
United States
Southfield
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darwins_Dog wrote:
trombonebull wrote:

That's a really important distinction when it comes to locations too! We had the location filled up and defeated a villain that removes a token. From the list at the back, it looked like we lost the location, but we missed the part about getting the reward right away.

You only lose the location if, at the end of the current turn, the villain is not defeated or the current player cannot find a way to remove a control marker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian VanNatta
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a follow up to this, since someone mentioned it, "You only lose the location if, at the end of the current turn, the villain is not defeated or the current player cannot find a way to remove a control marker."

Is this an extra reward that happens with each villian (I didn't see mention in the defeating villians sections)? Or is it with certain villians, the last villian, or is it only when the location would be lost that this condition occurs and you remove one for defeating the (a?) villain. I only read the base rule book, and haven't looked into game 2 or higher, so maybe this is explained later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Duncan
United States
Southfield
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Longly wrote:
As a follow up to this, since someone mentioned it, "You only lose the location if, at the end of the current turn, the villain is not defeated or the current player cannot find a way to remove a control marker."

Is this an extra reward that happens with each villian (I didn't see mention in the defeating villians sections)? Or is it with certain villians, the last villian, or is it only when the location would be lost that this condition occurs and you remove one for defeating the (a?) villain. I only read the base rule book, and haven't looked into game 2 or higher, so maybe this is explained later.

A location being overrun is only assessed for at the end of the current player's turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Goodnight
United States
Newmarket
NH
flag msg tools
mbmb
Longly wrote:

Some of the villains have a reward that removes a control token from the location. My previous comment was that we missed the rule about getting the rewards right away, which made the game a bit harder for the heroes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Machen
msg tools
Darwins_Dog wrote:
Longly wrote:

Some of the villains have a reward that removes a control token from the location. My previous comment was that we missed the rule about getting the rewards right away, which made the game a bit harder for the heroes.

If a location has reached it's control token limit and you defeat a villain whose reward doesn't include removing a token is that location lost? So defeating a villain doesn't necessarily save the location, only if their reward removes a token, correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Malo
United States
Lake Park
Florida
flag msg tools
Any dream can take over the world.
badge
The only thing more evil than Cthulhu . . . . Kickstarter Addiction!
mbmbmbmbmb
bryistupid wrote:
If a location has reached it's control token limit and you defeat a villain whose reward doesn't include removing a token is that location lost? So defeating a villain doesn't necessarily save the location, only if their reward removes a token, correct?

That's correct. Unless it is the last villain, then the game is won!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Duncan
United States
Southfield
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gotrek987 wrote:
bryistupid wrote:

That's correct. Unless it is the last villain, then the game is won!

Well I'm almost certain that the other way a full location will not be lost is if the current player plays a card/ability that will remove a location marker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrod Babel
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bryistupid wrote:
[q="Darwins_Dog"]

Correct, defeating a villain doesn't auto guarantee a location is safe (unless it's the last villain then you win, hooray!).
I game 1 only draco's reward removes a control marker as a reward for his defeat (note-there are other hogwarts cards that remove them).
That's why checking location control is an end of turn effect (since villain rewards happen in step 3 when attack is assigned).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Villians are defeated the moment they take enough lightning bolts. Their award is granted immediately, but they are not replaced until end of turn.

Other important timing things that are easy to miss, especially if you're used to playing other Deck Builders:

You can assign some generated attack tokens mid-way through your turn and then keep playing cards. This flows from some of the villians rewards being card draws, but also lets you take out a villian preventing an action (like healing) and then play a card granting that action.

You can make a purchase of a card mid-way through your turn and then keep playing cards. Usually cards go to your discard, so that's not much of an incentive, but if the discard is about to reshuffle due to a draw, or if you're placing cards directly on top of your deck, it can matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.