Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi fellow DOOM TBG enthusiasts! Just wanted to inform you that the first third version of my RanDOOM on-the-fly scenario generator is uploaded and online here at boardgamegeek, in the files section.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/45629

Essentially the way it works is it generates a floor piece at random with random items and monsters on it. You just keep generating pieces at random until you have a room made. Then you wait until a marine uses a teleporter or opens a door, and you continue generating!

Updates to Version 3 include these features:

-Labeled cursor (so floating over items will label exactly what they are)

-Sound board (for those of you who want creepy ambience and monster sounds!)

-Flavor text generator (after a room is finished, the program generates some awesome flavor text)

Here are some screenshots:

Well let me know what you think!

--Tibs
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Haglund
Sweden
Göteborg
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks really cool, unfortunately I can't try it out since it crashes on startup using Vista 64bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brü Meister
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Very cool generator!
Thanks.
I would like to see one change in next version (if there is one)
Could you make a map maker with it as well?
The program would then not only generate the next board piece but it would also merge these onto a map - so you could see what the board looks like before you even play it.
That way you could spend 10 minutes before a session randomly generating a new scenario and then play the game out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's actually a lot harder than you'd think: the reason is it's difficult getting the computer to recognize when a level is prematurely dead-ended. It was just monsterously easier to shift some carefully chosen burden on the user, being able to make intelligent decisions about what is dead-ended, overlapping, nearly overlapping, etc.

However, I may get around to doing it in the future. There were so many elements that made me uncomfortable committing time to working on an all-at-once generator. Maybe someday, though. In the meantime, the sounding board and flavor text generator are the things on my mind.

Thanks for the feedback!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Figgins
United States
Woodland
California
flag msg tools
badge
http://lyrislaser.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Way cool concept. I wish I hadn't lost my laptop!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brü Meister
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I guess I could always take screen shots of the room pieces and print/paste together to create a map beforehand.
I think the flavour text generator is a cool idea as well.
Is it possible to make the program screen a little larger? I find I am squinting to make out the details.
Otherwise, good program and I have already put it to use!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LOL, sorry the graphics are so small. I am putting in a feature where items will be labeled if you mousefloat them. I plan for the program to be wider for the next release, but reworking the graphics' size will take a lot more time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.