Subject: Junior Vice-President and Event Timing rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
BorderCon
Australia
Lavington
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Ok look - I'm pretty sure I owe someone a copy of Freya's Folly. If that is you please contact me - cheers...blush. UPDATE - figured it out - yay!
mbmbmbmbmb
This guy is one powerful dude as he allows the blocking of City Event Cards (I have that right yeah?). That means he can stop all 4 of those nasty back-end game events.

So it is no surprise that he is a target to be taken out in one way or the other.

So here is our dilemma. When does his ability take effect?

I had an event card the other day that said I could turn a staff member face down in another park (I forget the exact term for this and the game isn't in front of me).

The argument from my opponent was that I couldn't play this card until the Play Events Phase, but at that point it would have no value because the Junior Vice-President had already blocked the City Planning Card in the City Events step.

Is this true or are we playing it wrong?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Finch
Australia
Carindale
QLD
flag msg tools
designer
My hat? Definitely not a mind-control alien, no.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, sorry, just on the power of the Junior Vice President, that's an overlap in wording which I'm going to resolve this week.

"City Planning" events are one particular type of event.

Cards in the City deck can have events which are Intrusion, Inspection, and City Planning.

So the Junior Vice President stops the ones which are specifically City Planning, rather than everything from the City deck. Some Event cards in hand are also City Planning, and the JVP can stop (up to one of) those too.

To resolve this labeling confusion, we're going to change the City Planning events to something else, most likely an "Injunction", so the Junior Vice President will protect you only from Injunctions, by calling his uncle the mayor to have them lifted.

For the sequence of events - the City event is played, and you can respond to that with any blocking cards, either from your hand, or from the table.

The Event cards and abilities on your cards can be played, and they can be blocked as a reaction (reactions don't need to be played in turn, they play immediately).

So if you had Caribbean Vacation, and used it to send the JVP on holiday after he had done his blocking thing, it would be too late, the blocking has already occurred (he called his uncle before his flight out )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BorderCon
Australia
Lavington
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Ok look - I'm pretty sure I owe someone a copy of Freya's Folly. If that is you please contact me - cheers...blush. UPDATE - figured it out - yay!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok great - I am happy with that.

As we were playing he was all powerful and without the Vampire Theme (2-player game) we didn't have headhunting to get rid of him completely so whoever got lucky had a major advantage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.