GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

9,733 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) – Road to Legend» Forums » General

Subject: Monster Placement rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jackie Keiser
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Can someone explain monster placement with RTL in more detail for me? I just played the the tutorial with my group and we were confused by how it only showed multiple placement spots once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Typically it will either show multiple spaces you should place a monster group in, or one space which you should place a master in, and then place the rest of the monsters in the group adjacent to it (your choice of exactly where). It will do them in turn, so you should place one group before continuing on to the next.

So, something like:

"Place the Reanimates on the map, ignoring group limits" (highlights several spaces)

CONTINUE

"Place the Medusas on the map" (highlights one space)

And so on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L W
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out page 6 of the rule book:

MONSTER PLACEMENT
During a quest, monsters spawn based upon specific circumstances in the quest, such as when a door opens.
The app always provides a message telling players which monsters are to be placed but indicates this placement in two possible ways:
• The icon or icons of the monsters are shown on the map in the exact spaces where they should be placed. If any of the spaces are not empty, place the monster as close as possible to the indicated space.
• A specific space is highlighted. When this happens, the monsters are placed as close as possible to the highlighted space. Generally, this involves placing one monster in the space and other monsters (if any) adjacent to that space.

https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/31/dc...

Hope that helps clarify monster placement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jackie Keiser
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Yeaaaah I read page 6 many times and it didn't help me. Doesn't help that I've also never played Descent before.

So it will either show you multiple spaces with exactly where and what to place or it will show you a single space and you place the amount that is shown on the back of the monster card around that space?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L W
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MongooseDoom wrote:
Yeaaaah I read page 6 many times and it didn't help me. Doesn't help that I've also never played Descent before.

So it will either show you multiple spaces with exactly where and what to place or it will show you a single space and you place the amount that is shown on the back of the monster card around that space?

That's how I play it. When it shows just one location for an entire group I place the master first and then put the minions adjacent to the master. Here the game gives me a choice, so I typically place the minions closest to my heroes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Stegman
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MongooseDoom wrote:
... it will show you a single space and you place the amount that is shown on the back of the monster card around that space?

Yep, that's what page 6 says:

• [If a] specific space is highlighted[, ... p]lac[e] one monster in the space and other monsters (if any) adjacent to that space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.