Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was able to read the rules for depth. They are well written and detailed albeit a few sections that I had to reference in a completely different section to seek out the answer or couldn't find.

One example - On page 34 Party Exploits describes the Deeds. However, I couldn't be certain if a Deed could done more than once until I read on page 35 the Movement Deed Example where the player wanted to move again. Maybe add 'Deeds can be used more than once within the four weeks' at the end of B. Party Exploits on page 34 and again on page 35 B. Party Exploits Phase III, B. Party Exploits sub-section.

NPCM confusion that I could not reference anywhere else on page 35 Party Exploits Phase III, A NPCMs sub-section with this line: "Move Non-Player Character Mercenaries according to player order and resolve their assignments or have them wait for a Party to join them." By joining the Party on the same hex, the NPCMs still roll/move separate from the Party adding no advantage. True? Say I'm reading this incorrect, would the Party be able to heal the NPCM if on the same hex then? The NPCM is not defined as the Party so I'm guessing not.

Cards:

The mechanic of being able to slot Spoils cards under the Character is a great math organizer and space saver. Am I missing a way to see what the Spoils Category is other than physically pulling the card out from under the Character? Okay, some might say look at the Name, you should be able to figure it out, but in update 11, the Spoils card Flame Thrower. It's also Melee? Huh? Um, standing that close to someone I'm torching?! Crispy fingers...

Biker Outlaws on page 24. The flavor text says "...treacherous switch back mountain road". Next to the card shows a Plains Encounter card backing. Should this not be a Mountain Encounter or are the Encounter cards not in any way tied to the flavor text?

Brackish Water on page 25. In the Skills Check section there is a red (not green) Infected Wounds Damage symbol without a Success number next to it. I can find no reference anywhere in the rule book on what it is. The explanation next to the card skips from the Medical Skill Check to Psychological Status Check. So what is the symbol? Is this an old card design?

Thanks in advance.

Steve
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Pitcher
United States
Solon
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Rules and Card Questions
Steve,

Excellent comments and questions! I am editing the rule book and taking all critiques into careful consideration. I will verify I cleaned up the rules on deeds.

NPCMs move at the start of the Party exploits phase and don't need to roll for movement. Their movement is also unencumbered by the terrain. When they reach their objective they perform their task. If they are going to help the party on a mission then they wait for the party and attempt the mission at with the party.

When a NPCM helps a party on a mission they roll and add their successes to the party skill check successes.

You are correct their isn't a good way to see the equipment type, but we have added the following symbols melee weapon, ranged weapon and ability. This will help reduce the card moving for melee weapon and ranged weapon checks. The Ability symbol will indicate there is text on the card that be useful. Like get a chance for an additional spoil upon successful completion of a mission.

The red infected tokens were changed to green to help them stand out. The current rule book doesn't reflect that change. The upcoming one does.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Pitcher
United States
Solon
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Rules and Card Questions
Steve,
Good catch on Biker Outlaws, that one may have just received the wrong back in our file. I will talk with the creators about this card during our play test this Saturday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bill,

Thanks for clarifying. Just some follow up questions:

Rules

NPCMs - taking into consideration the NPCM card Death's Head Mercs and selecting 'Move to and attempt a Mission', how would I know that it can wait for my Party? As you stated 'When they reach their objective they perform their task' and in the rules next to the card on page 28 it basically says the same thing. My assumption is that they would do it immediately whether your Party is there or not. True? I just don't see where it says the NPCM would be able to help the Party. Help me out if I missed it in the rules.

Also based on what you said above, I cannot see any reason or chance that you could or would heal the NPCM as he is discarded after? Wasn't sure if an Action card might allow it during Combat or something.

Cards

Will the Flame Thrower really have Melee? blush <- Face being singed.

Video

Great first round explanations of actual play. Between using the dice and finger counting you both used, was there any consideration to do Success chits?

Thanks,

Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Pitcher
United States
Solon
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve,

Forgive me, I was wrong. I was conflating Point of interest with Mission. Missions will be attempted immediately, Point of Interest location is where they will arrive and wait. Take the example of the Hounds of Hell. "Move to a Point of Interest and work with a Party. Add their successes to that Party's."

Some point of interest locations can be quite difficult, many of them were cut in the early stages of the game though. I will look into removing this ability of some Mercs (NPCMs) to clean up the rules and give the card some breathing room.

We have a ton of chits and adding more just for counting seems impractical. There is a third method and that is using the d6s or d10 to count. I will demonstrate that in our next video. We don't want to make a rule to tell people how to count that restricts the player from using their natural instincts. With that said I will try a round where I use physic damage or Salvage coin chits to count, just to see how it goes.

I will also present the idea of removing melee from flame thrower. If I recall from previous discussion is it is not really a long ranged weapon and it is not really a short range weapon. When I use a propane torch to burn the tall grass around my property I get pretty close to the objects I am burning.

Thank you for your wonderful input.

Thank you,

Bill
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CuTop wrote:
Forgive me, I was wrong. I was conflating Point of interest with Mission. Missions will be attempted immediately, Point of Interest location is where they will arrive and wait. Take the example of the Hounds of Hell. "Move to a Point of Interest and work with a Party. Add their successes to that Party's."

Some point of interest locations can be quite difficult, many of them were cut in the early stages of the game though. I will look into removing this ability of some Mercs (NPCMs) to clean up the rules and give the card some breathing room.

Ah, the card clearly states the exception to the rule. My ignorance with the cards probably didn't help.

Quote:
We have a ton of chits and adding more just for counting seems impractical. There is a third method and that is using the d6s or d10 to count. I will demonstrate that in our next video. We don't want to make a rule to tell people how to count that restricts the player from using their natural instincts. With that said I will try a round where I use physic damage or Salvage coin chits to count, just to see how it goes.

Agreed. The first thing when I saw what you were doing with the dice made me think to pull out glass gaming stones/gems. A d6/d10 would also work just fine like you said.

Quote:
I will also present the idea of removing melee from flame thrower. If I recall from previous discussion is it is not really a long ranged weapon and it is not really a short range weapon. When I use a propane torch to burn the tall grass around my property I get pretty close to the objects I am burning.

Brings me back to the old WWII clips with a flamethrower roasting a bunker is all. Tough call, since it really doesn't fit a range.

Looking forward to the next video to learn more of the mechanics of the game.

Thanks,

Steve
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Digging the hybrid BGG Encounter/Spoils cards unlocked. More depth to the game. Only bummer is no place for the art

Kudos to your artists...

Steve
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Pitcher
United States
Solon
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are correct there is just not enough room for the image and text. Unless of course we made the text 2pt.

Anyway usually the art for the cards spoil cards are tucked under the character to save space and make it easier to add up basic skills.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.