Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Petersen
United States
Dublin
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having played 4 times, with 2 and 3 players, we ALWAYS run out of food tokens. Usually it's on the second-to-last or last turn. Is this the case with everyone else? Are we doing something wrong?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Blackford
United States
Englewood
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hi-diddly-ho, neighborino!
badge
"I'll have a Shirley... No, a virgin... No, a children's... Oh, what the heck? You only live once. Give me a white wine spritzer! "
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had it happen a couple of times now, but just barely in most cases. The official answer can be found here in another thread.

The tl;dr of it is: Find some other tokens to represent 10 food in order to stretch those precious food tokens!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, we're running into this problem a lot. I'm not sure what happened but I think some wires got crossed between testing and manufacturing. We'll have to increase the number of food tokens on the next print run.

Out of curiosity, how many extra food tokens have you needed?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shelton
msg tools
I've played several games with two, and we seem to always run out of food as well. What we do is substitute cards for food tokens. So after we shuffle the discard pile for the last round, any new discarded cards are subbed in for food tokens and go into a new score pile until we count cards. I think we had to sub in about 15 cards in our game last night. I believe it was on one of the last two turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. Any more info on this for anyone else would be great too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Blackford
United States
Englewood
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hi-diddly-ho, neighborino!
badge
"I'll have a Shirley... No, a virgin... No, a children's... Oh, what the heck? You only live once. Give me a white wine spritzer! "
mbmbmbmbmb
domcrap wrote:
Yeah, we're running into this problem a lot. I'm not sure what happened but I think some wires got crossed between testing and manufacturing. We'll have to increase the number of food tokens on the next print run.

About the same for me. I've only played viciously close 2 player games so far (bravo, Dominic! Great game!). In the games where we've run out it has been the last turn or two, usually needing to substitute 10-20 food tokens. It hasn't been a major issue in my case, but I'm afraid I can't speak for higher player counts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think you run out of tokens at higher player counts. So it's the 2-player game that I'm most concerned about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Owens
United States
Edwardsville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
KHAAAANNNN!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
tucker8807 wrote:
domcrap wrote:

About the same for me. I've only played viciously close 2 player games so far (bravo, Dominic! Great game!). In the games where we've run out it has been the last turn or two, usually needing to substitute 10-20 food tokens. It hasn't been a major issue in my case, but I'm afraid I can't speak for higher player counts.

This has been about the same for me (including the "great game!" part)...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shelton
msg tools
Hopefully I can get some more plays in soon and I can post the exact numbers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David S.
United States
Des Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
V1 Rotate
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played this game mostly 2 player and once 3 player. Each time 2p we were about 20 short. The 3p was close, but not quite. We had probably about 15 left in the 3p game. 2p we're usually 20 off so probably 30-40 more in case of a really high scoring game. Or just a few 5s/10s. I've subbed Agricola food tokens for now as I replaced those with wood pieces in that game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't you just have the players each return 10 to the pool?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gallo
United States
New York
flag msg tools
I have some small, red, plastic poker chips that I was thinking about using as "meat" when the carnivores feed but I guess after a few plus I'll see if that makes it so that we don't run out. If not then I'll just use them as 5's or 10's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shelton
msg tools
You could do that.... but I'd rather know exactly how much I scored.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shelton
msg tools
Played another 2p game last night. We ran out of tokens on the last round, last turn and had to sub in about 10 cards for tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
czs716 wrote:

Take your final score and add 10?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shelton
msg tools
snoozefest wrote:
czs716 wrote:

Take your final score and add 10?

Lol. My comment seems pretty dumb now. I wasn't thinking when I posted. I guess I kinda meant Id rather not have to do that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David S.
United States
Des Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
V1 Rotate
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played a 4p and the scores were 64-68-68-71. Each player had about 20 points in cards. So that's around 190 tokens. Definitely either need at least 50 more or some 5s.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shelton
msg tools
I had a thought the other day about tokens that were worth 5 or 10 points. They would be a bit larger and would be poo tokens signifying the digested food lol. Change them out whenever or have it part of a turn be "check to see if your species food has digested: trade 5 food for an excrement token" or something. May house rule that in with something for my games now that I think about it. Only problem with making change is other players can get an idea of your score.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
czs716 wrote:
I had a thought the other day about tokens that were worth 5 or 10 points. They would be a bit larger and would be poo tokens signifying the digested food lol. Change them out whenever or have it part of a turn be "check to see if your species food has digested: trade 5 food for an excrement token" or something. May house rule that in with something for my games now that I think about it. Only problem with making change is other players can get an idea of your score.

laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Petersen
United States
Dublin
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
domcrap wrote:

Having played a few more times, it's about 15-20.

Any way us 1st Ed players could get our hands on some extra tokens?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you go to any convention that we're at I'll give you a bunch for free. But I'd rather not start up a policy that turns into shipping fiasco. It would be tremendously expensive and time consuming and I need to start thinking about new products. We're behind the curve on that front and it's starting to stress me out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Dorman
Israel
PETACH TIKVA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We played yesterday and also hit the missing token issue.

A bit frustrating that a game with such high component quality ends up missing some.

@Dominic - isn't it possible to create a 4x4 punchboard with 12x5food + 4x10food tokens - thus pushing up token count to 260 which seems sufficient.

A 4x4 board fits in a small envelope and the shipping cost shouldn't be more then 1-2$.

I'm willing to pay <5$ to get my game 'complete' / 'fixed'.
Please provide this possability.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
domcrap wrote:
If you go to any convention that we're at I'll give you a bunch for free. But I'd rather not start up a policy that turns into shipping fiasco. It would be tremendously expensive and time consuming and I need to start thinking about new products. We're behind the curve on that front and it's starting to stress me out.

I'd work out a deal with BGG to where they could sell a sheet of the tokens in their web store. They get a little money, players get their tokens, and you don't have to sweat shipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Mann
United States
Saint Helens
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
franklincobb wrote:

I'd work out a deal with BGG to where they could sell a sheet of the tokens in their web store. They get a little money, players get their tokens, and you don't have to sweat shipping.

I second this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louis Little
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
franklincobb wrote:

I like this idea. Just finished up a 2-player game and we needed about 30 more tokens. We just pulled 20 tokens out of our bags a piece when we ran out and made sure to add it to our final score.

Fun game and it wasn't a big deal, but I'd definitely spend a few extra $$$ to get some more tokens in case it happens again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.