$30.00
Chris R.
United States
Unspecified
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
"...marijuana entrepreneur Gary Johnson has floated another idea that shows he is far from a libertarian purist. After picking the statist Bill Weld as his running mate, Johnson presented a 'free market' (read: statist) idea ... a form of cap and trade.

'...include a fee -- not a tax, he said -- placed on carbon. Such a fee would make pollutants bear a market cost.'

A fee on carbon emissions is the centerpiece of progressive attempts to institute a cap and trade scheme on American industry. ...

This seems to be a departure from a position Johnson held during the 2012 campaign when he came out against a cap and trade...

...while Johnson's 'fee' may not lead to a full cap and trade policy, any artificial barrier in the marketplace is not 'free market.'

...remember the Obama administration tried to sell Obamacare as a fee, not a tax.

Johnson is not running as a libertarian purist or even as a 'conservatarian' like Ron and Rand Paul. He is running as a liberal Republican in Libertarian clothing."

https://www.conservativereview.com/commentary/2016/08/libert...

Other attached links...

"73 percent of what Bernie (Sanders) says I agree with." -- Gary Johnson

https://www.conservativereview.com/commentary/2016/06/libert...

5 Statist Positions That Should Make Libertarians Run from (his vice presidential candidate) Bill Weld

1. Gun Control
2. Eminent Domain
3. Affirmative Action
4. Environmental Regulations
5. Full-Throated Endorsement of Barack Obama

https://www.conservativereview.com/commentary/2016/05/5-stat...

(Perhaps there's a fourth or fifth candidate out there for who I can throw away my vote...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Me nah play no 'ide and seek
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If you Libertarians are gonna shit all over Gary Johnson, what do you have this election?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
For BJ.....
mb
Johnson is a libertarian who doesnt hide his head in the goddamn sand when political ideaology and reality clash. He understands that a libertarian stance on some issues like global warming, for instance, requires libertarianism to first admit the problem exists in the first place.

Finally, libertarianism isnt against government. Rather, it is a position that argues skepticism about government; but to be skeptical about government isnt the same as saying that government has no role at all.

Frankly, I like Johnson in the same way that others here like Trump- he demonstrates that there sre other eays to be a libertarian rather than the oh so tired Rothbard minarchism thst is so prevalent in the online community.

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sikeospi wrote:
"...marijuana entrepreneur Gary Johnson has floated another idea that shows he is far from a libertarian purist. After picking the statist Bill Weld as his running mate, Johnson presented a 'free market' (read: statist) idea ... a form of cap and trade.

'...include a fee -- not a tax, he said -- placed on carbon. Such a fee would make pollutants bear a market cost.'

A fee on carbon emissions is the centerpiece of progressive attempts to institute a cap and trade scheme on American industry. ...

This seems to be a departure from a position Johnson held during the 2012 campaign when he came out against a cap and trade...

...while Johnson's 'fee' may not lead to a full cap and trade policy, any artificial barrier in the marketplace is not 'free market.'

...remember the Obama administration tried to sell Obamacare as a fee, not a tax.

Johnson is not running as a libertarian purist or even as a 'conservatarian' like Ron and Rand Paul. He is running as a liberal Republican in Libertarian clothing."

Other attached links...

5 Statist Positions That Should Make Libertarians Run from (his vice presidential candidate) Bill Weld

1. Gun Control
2. Eminent Domain
3. Affirmative Action

(Perhaps there's a fourth or fifth candidate out there for who I can throw away my vote...)

Just more evidence he's really just a tepid Democrat.

Ferret
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lone Locust of the Apocalypse
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
toku42 wrote:
If you Libertarians are gonna shit all over Gary Johnson, what do you have this election?

They don't want what they have, they don't like what they might get and what they need doesn't exist besides that it couldn't get elected anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Fiscus
United States
Pittsburgh (Monroeville)
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All of this makes me like Gary Johnson even more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ferretman wrote:

Ferret

And Democrats would use it as evidence to say he's just a tepid Republican.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sikeospi wrote:

Other attached links...

1. Gun Control
2. Eminent Domain
3. Affirmative Action

Not enough color. Also, the links only had a brief highlight of the article rather than the entire article itself. No videos.

3 out of 10 on the Shrevescale. Would read again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sikeospi wrote:

My favorite part of all this. Gary Johnson isn't Libertarian enough. So he's just gonna vote for Trump.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Christ, another candidate run afoul of the ideological purists. Fuck 'em, Gary, just do what you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
Ferretman wrote:

Ferret

And Democrats would use it as evidence to say he's just a tepid Republican.

I don't see how...only a very small handful of Republicans (RINOs mostly) support a cap-and-trade, whereas nearly all Democrats have been indoctrinated to believe this now.

So the Democrats would be wrong here...which is of course not unusual for them.

Well played sir!

Ferret

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Chris,

It seems to me that cap and trade is one of the least authoritarian and most market based solutions to the problem of the negative externalities caused by companies that pollute. How do you suggest these and other negative externalities be addressed? Or do you just not acknowledge/care that negative externalities exist?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Johnson is a complicated, likable figure who definately falls in the libertarian quadrant of the political spectrum if you define libertarian as "socially liberal and fiscally conservative".

Some libertarians do not see him as a libertarian. But that's the nature of being libertarian.

Some libertarians apply a litmus test and if Johnson supports a single issue they disagree with then they say he's not a libertarian. That's the nature of being stupid and unrealistic.

Net net, I would not vote for Johnson if he had a chance of winning but there are many area's where I agree with him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Edwards
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
verandi wrote:

Chris,

It seems to me that cap and trade is one of the least authoritarian and most market based solutions to the problem of the negative externalities caused by companies that pollute. How do you suggest these and other negative externalities be addressed? Or do you just not acknowledge/care that negative externalities exist?

Affected individuals have to sue in the non-binding, non-governmental courts that are somehow supposed to exist. And then enforce the decision of that court somehow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rost
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darilian wrote:
Johnson is a libertarian who doesnt hide his head in the goddamn sand when political ideaology and reality clash. He understands that a libertarian stance on some issues like global warming, for instance, requires libertarianism to first admit the problem exists in the first place.

Finally, libertarianism isnt against government. Rather, it is a position that argues skepticism about government; but to be skeptical about government isnt the same as saying that government has no role at all.

Frankly, I like Johnson in the same way that others here like Trump- he demonstrates that there sre other eays to be a libertarian rather than the oh so tired Rothbard minarchism thst is so prevalent in the online community.

Darilian

Would you say that progressive liberalism or conservatism are positions that do not argue for skepticism against government? I say that there is more to libertarianism than mere skepticism of government, else we are all libertarians and the distinction would cease to have meaning.

I suspect that without Rothbard and other writers framing libertarianism as anarcho-capitalism, there would be no Gary Johnson. If we don’t have that radical stake planted in the ground far from conventional political theory—a beacon for principle--the space in-between doesn’t exist.

If overall, the Johnson run has the effect of drawing both the GOP and DNC to accepting some libertarian platforms in the future, no matter how watered-down, then I view that as a good thing. To be sure, there exists a spectrum of beliefs that encompass the ideology, and Johnson certainly entertains some of the party platforms (others he disregards) but I personally couldn't acknowledge Johnson as being libertarian proper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
United States
Santee
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
toku42 wrote:

Abstain from evil. Don't vote.

Lew's reasons are good:

A lot of people have asked me why I do not vote.

1) Voting is the sacrament of the civil religion. I’m a political atheist.
2) Not voting bugs the regime, and no wonder. Such abstinence, like not complying in other ways, weakens them. What if they held an election and nobody came?
3) It’s a pain in the neck.
4) Your vote doesn’t count, unless the election is decided by a single vote. You are far more likely to be killed on the way to the polls than to have that happen.
5) The candidates itch to rule others. There is no lesser evil.
6) Politics is not our salvation. Indeed, the whole system is corrupt from top to bottom.

A Christian's case for non-voting (especially when you can not in good conscience support anyone):
https://www.lewrockwell.com/2016/07/michael-s-alford/dont-vo...

Key points: The system is evil and worldly.

Also, a la Carlin, if I vote, what right do I have to complain???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ferretman wrote:
I don't see how...only a very small handful of Republicans (RINOs mostly) support a cap-and-trade, whereas nearly all Democrats have been indoctrinated to believe this now.

Cap and trade is a Republican invention from the Bush I administration. Up until the late aughts it was being advocated by Republican poster boys like McCain, Romney, Huckabee and Pawlenty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
damiangerous wrote:
Ferretman wrote:

Cap and trade is a Republican invention from the Bush I administration. Up until the late aughts it was being advocated by Republican poster boys like McCain, Romney, Huckabee and Pawlenty.

...which doesn't make it "Republican". If you bothered to research a bit, you'd find it was a Bush gimmie to the Gore-ites at the time, as it was believed they'd be able to stampede the nation into doing something even more catastrophically bad. Fortunately it died quickly.

And who said Bush/Romney/McCain weren't all RINOs? They meet the very definition.

Nice try. Now sit down and let the adults talk.

Ferret

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ferretman wrote:
...which doesn't make it "Republican". If you bothered to research a bit, you'd find it was a Bush gimmie to the Gore-ites at the time, as it was believed they'd be able to stampede the nation into doing something even more catastrophically bad. Fortunately it died quickly.

Bush I was a huge champion of emissions trading, they started working on it before he even took office. It was a fundamental platform of his policy of being an environmental president. If you think it was some sort of "gimme" then you need to find better sources of information.

Quote:
And who said Bush/Romney/McCain weren't all RINOs? They meet the very definition.

So Dole has been the only "real Republican" candidate since 1980? Even Reagan supported emissions trading to phase out leaded gas. If you believe that you might want to reevaluate what a Republican is, because it sure as hell isn't what you seem to think.

Quote:
Nice try. Now sit down and let the adults talk.

A guy who needs to "research" something that happened in 1989 probably shouldn't be commenting here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.