5 Posts

The War: Europe 1939-1945» Forums » Rules

Subject: evasion chits rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robin Lapinou
France
flag msg tools
At what time do you play evasion chit ? just before rolling ? when moving that naval force ? after the roll to modify it ?

2/ once played, the evasion chit remains on the naval force until the end of the turn, and will also help the fleets returning to port at the end . Correct ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernie Copley
United States
Cumberland Center
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
Agabdir wrote:
At what time do you play evasion chit ? just before rolling ? when moving that naval force ? after the roll to modify it ?

2/ once played, the evasion chit remains on the naval force until the end of the turn, and will also help the fleets returning to port at the end . Correct ?

Hi Robin,

In order:

1) As soon as your opponent announces his intention to intercept your naval force, you throw the evasion chit;

2) Correct: the evasion chit applies to any one naval force for the entire player turn. But I am a little unclear about the phrase "...returning to port at the end." Even though the evasion chit applies throughout the turn, why would the non-phasing player want to intercept an enemy naval force on its way back to port? The idea behind interception is to intercept a naval force before it can carry out its mission. Was there some specific case you had in mind?

hope this helps,

ernie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Lapinou
France
flag msg tools
all right thanks,

Yes you are right about that sentence. I was just thinking that, if I tried and failed to intercept an enemy fleet on its ways to its mission, I could always try to intercept it again at the end of the turn, just to inflict some damage at least.
But thinking about it, that would not be allowed, since it would be like trying to intercept the same fleet twice with the same force of mine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Lapinou
France
flag msg tools
another question:

Say I move one fleet A from port A to port B where I have another fleet B, prior to a mission that will be conducted by the 2 fleets together.

I play an evasion chit on fleet A as soon as opponent says it wants to intercept it (so before it has joined fleet B in port B). Fleet A makes it safely to port B thanks to evasion chit.

1/ Now I move fleet A + B together to their mission, do they count as having an evasion chit played on them for further interception roll ?

2/ can the opposing player try to intercept with the same force that failed earlier on fleet A ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernie Copley
United States
Cumberland Center
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
Agabdir wrote:
another question:

Say I move one fleet A from port A to port B where I have another fleet B, prior to a mission that will be conducted by the 2 fleets together.

I play an evasion chit on fleet A as soon as opponent says it wants to intercept it (so before it has joined fleet B in port B). Fleet A makes it safely to port B thanks to evasion chit.

1/ Now I move fleet A + B together to their mission, do they count as having an evasion chit played on them for further interception roll ?

2/ can the opposing player try to intercept with the same force that failed earlier on fleet A ?

Hello, Robin - The only time I've ever used Evasion chits is when I am the Germans sailing my fleets from Kiel, but okay, let's follow this example.
In brief,

1) no; and

2) no.

The phrase used in 7.8.2, Evasion Chits is "one naval force," which refers back to 7.8, Naval Interception, second paragraph. The Fleets in question have to have begun the turn in the same port.

In essence you would have used up the Evasion chit in trying to shield Fleet A from interception.

Good question. Sorry to be late answering you. I am back at school now and things are pretty busy here.

Hope this helps,

regards,

ernie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.